GDT - A10 Media Day

Pistol

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

If he does that he'll be all conference. Possibly even MVP.  I'm sure he feels slighted by these forecasts. I expect his competitive fire to be really stoked. Not that those fires will improve his shot, but he'll be a force at his own game. You can't forecast where his shot skills are at this point, because we just haven't heard. 

The one thing this team needs more than anything are 2 or 3 or 4 shooters. Take your pick or take all 4; Jimerson, Jacobs, Perkins (?), and Hankton. Possibly the biggest addition would be Hankton becoming a stretch 4, because if we don't open up the inside for French to roam free, we're going to be hurting. But really anyone that can shoot from beyond the arc will be welcome. We'll stop seeing those packed in zone defenses plus trading 2 points to the other teams' 3's. 

Weaver is a career 35.7% from the arc.  

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

You can draw a line between Dayton and Rhode Island, and then another between George Mason and LaSalle, and have three tiers out of this poll.

PRESEASON POLL (First-place votes in parenthesis)

1. VCU (19) ............................................................ 381

2. Davidson (8) .................................................... 359

3. Dayton (1) ......................................................... 341

4. Rhode Island ................................................... 283

5. St. Bonaventure .............................................. 280

6. Richmond ......................................................... 248

7. Saint Louis ........................................................ 225

8. Duquesne ........................................................ 196

9. George Mason ................................................ 185

10. La Salle .............................................................. 133

11. Massachusetts ................................................ 103

12. George Washington ..................................... 93

13. Saint Joseph’s ................................................. 65

14. Fordham ........................................................... 48

The three obvious tiers in the preseason poll are, I think, realistic at this point in time. It places 3 teams at the top of A10 (VCU, Davidson, and Dayton), all close enough together so that anyone of these could really be #1. The second middle tier has 7 teams (RI, St. B, Rich, SLU, Duq, and GM) with  what appears to be an upper division of 4 (RI. St. B, Rich, and SLU) and a lower division all below 200 votes of 2 teams ( Duq and GM). Finally there are the bottom dweller 5 teams (LS, UMass, GW, SJ, Fordham), out of which SJ and Fordham are fairly distanced from the top of this block and likely expected to stay there for the season by the poll.

This is interesting, it sets the expectations for the year, now it is up to us as well as the other teams to shatter the expectations and go higher or, for some teams, lower than expected. I think we will be in the top batch by the end of the season.

For my record, I am not advocating Jordan Goodwin be a three point shooter.  Rather I am advocating this his FG%, subtracting shots from 5 or so feet (layups), improve.  He needs to present an option from three so if nothing else defenders don't drop off him.  With a defender on him, he can easily blow by.  Once by, he needs to be able to stop and pop from the mid-range.  We know what he will do at the rim.  And he needs to improve his FT%.  Everything else is quite fine.  But it is still room for drastic improvement in his offensive game.  And i think his competitive desire will not allow him to stop without improvement somewhere along these lines.

I think his spot on the third team is about as high as he coudl have gone.  Who above him would you have traded him for?  Also of note, 12 of the 18 selections are guards.  Don't tell me it's not a guard's game in the A10. 

2 years ago JGood was called the top recruit in the A10. His first year, which was unfairly cut short, but he was a player. He didn't make any team last season, because he was struggling with the insertion of Isabell. As Taj Mahal 79 pointed out there were some shortcomings to his game. Most notably his shooting, both FTs and 15 + ft or more from the hoop. If he has fixed this, he could easily be a top 10 player in the A10. The rest of his game is rock solid. 

4 hours ago, Old guy said:

The three obvious tiers in the preseason poll are, I think, realistic at this point in time. It places 3 teams at the top of A10 (VCU, Davidson, and Dayton), all close enough together so that anyone of these could really be #1. The second middle tier has 7 teams (RI, St. B, Rich, SLU, Duq, and GM) with  what appears to be an upper division of 4 (RI. St. B, Rich, and SLU) and a lower division all below 200 votes of 2 teams ( Duq and GM). Finally there are the bottom dweller 5 teams (LS, UMass, GW, SJ, Fordham), out of which SJ and Fordham are fairly distanced from the top of this block and likely expected to stay there for the season by the poll.

This is interesting, it sets the expectations for the year, now it is up to us as well as the other teams to shatter the expectations and go higher or, for some teams, lower than expected. I think we will be in the top batch by the end of the season.

Check your numbers again.  I think you mean "6 teams," rather than "7."

5 minutes ago, Old guy said:

That depends on where you place George Mason. I think Hoosier Pal post had them in the mid tier.

Read your post again.  3+7+5=15.  In the second tier you list 6 teams and then break them into a group of 4 and a group of 2.  That's 6.  Hence I think you accidentally put a 7 when you meant 6.

Good article in today's Post-Disgrace.  See link on left side of Billikens.com front page.  Suggest all posters click on the link and read story so the P-D , click counter sees the interest in Billiken basketball.

Of interest in reading the article (not written by a STL writer) is the failure to mention two of our best freshmen, TH Jr & GJ.  Maybe Coach Ford is sandbagging by not mentioning those 2 or maybe it is just a half-ass job of writing by the reporter.

I think we will all know about Jimerson nlt next Wednesday!

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Good article in today's Post-Disgrace.  See link on left side of Billikens.com front page.  Suggest all posters click on the link and read story so the P-D , click counter sees the interest in Billiken basketball.

Of interest in reading the article (not written by a STL writer) is the failure to mention two of our best freshmen, TH Jr & GJ.  Maybe Coach Ford is sandbagging by not mentioning those 2 or maybe it is just a half-ass job of writing by the reporter.

I think we will all know about Jimerson nlt next Wednesday!

If this matters so much to you, why not share the link?

43 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Dayton basketball twitter account and its replies is a good follow right now. Their tone deaf #JoinTheFight hashtag and cringey pictures to accompany it are great 

Be nice if we can get the SLU/UD rivalry cranked up again. Seemed to be dormant the last few years. Be good seeing the "HATE" flow.

7 hours ago, bills10 said:

Haven’t been to the home page of the site in years. So I for one would be skipping the article if not linked in the forum

My initial post and drkelsey55"s post both refer posters to the article link on the front page.  If you choose to then not go there and click on the link then that's your problem.

Lot's to see there---the years schedule; applicable tweets and references to any articles about the Bills from most sources.  The Mods do a good job with it so if you avoid it you can miss quite a bit, but obviously, your choice,

HenryB and HoosierPal like this

On 10/26/2019 at 8:59 AM, bauman said:

My initial post and drkelsey55"s post both refer posters to the article link on the front page.  If you choose to then not go there and click on the link then that's your problem.

Lot's to see there---the years schedule; applicable tweets and references to any articles about the Bills from most sources.  The Mods do a good job with it so if you avoid it you can miss quite a bit, but obviously, your choice,

Since someone asked for the link and the reference to the home page was repeated, I was just pointing out that some people may use the site differently, none of which is wrong!

26 minutes ago, bills10 said:

Since someone asked for the link and the reference to the home page was repeated, I was just pointing out that some people may use the site differently, none of which is wrong!

Yeah, I’ll say I use mobile 90% of the time, and that keeps me inside the forum the entire time. I go weeks/months without seeing the front page even though I check just about every day. 

On 10/25/2019 at 4:20 PM, bauman said:

I guess telling you that the link was on the front page of this website wasn't enough???

It's just weird, man. If you're referring to a specific link on another site, link it. Internet 101. Common courtesy.

Also, I have the forum bookmarked - like apparently others do, as well. I see the homepage maybe once a month. I know that part is on me. But the linking-what-you're-talking-about is basic stuff.

On 10/24/2019 at 9:09 AM, Pistol said:

The all-conference teams are also in there.

First Team:
Kellan Grady, Davidson 
Jon Axel Gudmundsson, Davidson 
Obi Toppin, Dayton 
Cyril Langevine, Rhode Island
Jacob Gilyard, Richmond 
Marcus Evans, VCU 

Second Team
Jalen Crutcher, Dayton 
Justin Kier, George Mason
Jeff Dowtin, Rhode Island 
Grant Golden, Richmond