GDT - A10 Media Day

Pistol

Okay, so maybe not a game, but I think this deserves its own thread.

Ford is up at 11:00 - Interviews will be held live on ESPN+ per the official site. I'll be streaming and post any interesting tidbits.

Preseason poll and all-conference teams will also be released.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Ford is up at 11:00 - Interviews will be held live on ESPN+ per the official site. I'll be streaming and post any interesting tidbits.

I am unreasonably excited 

19 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I assume that is 11 eastern, 10 central?

Here are my rankings:

1. VCU
2. Davidson
3. Dayton
4. Rhode Island
5. Duquesne
6. SLU
7. St. Bonaventure
8. Richmond
9. George Mason
10. UMass
11. George Washington
12. La Salle
13. Fordham
14. St. Joe's

The biggest sticking point for me is the 5-9 range, especially as it relates to SLU, Richmond, and Bonaventure - I could put those in any order, all at about .500 or a game above. We finished 6th last year with a 10-8 record, and I think that's reasonable again, maybe 9-9. I just don't know how much confidence I have in Richmond taking a big step or St. Bonaventure losing 2 of its top 3 and staying put, so I'll homer it by a game or so.

Who are we thinking for first team all-conference?

Has to be some combo of Gudmundsson, Grady, Gilyard, Golden, Evans, Santos-Silva, and Toppin, right? I don't think any of the SLU or Rhody guys make the cut, nor do I think Kier (GMU) or Lofton (SBU) will, even though they'll both score a lot.

Preseason poll just hit.

1. VCU
2. Davidson
3. Dayton
4. Rhode Island
5. St. Bonaventure
6. Richmond
7. SLU
8. Duquesne
9. George Mason
10. La Salle
11. UMass
12. George Washington
13. St. Joe's
14. Fordham

As expected, the middle section is scrambled from what I thought. Bonaventure and Richmond getting more love, Duquesne and SLU a little less.

The all-conference teams are also in there.

First Team:
Kellan Grady, Davidson 
Jon Axel Gudmundsson, Davidson 
Obi Toppin, Dayton 
Cyril Langevine, Rhode Island
Jacob Gilyard, Richmond 
Marcus Evans, VCU 

Second Team
Jalen Crutcher, Dayton 
Justin Kier, George Mason
Jeff Dowtin, Rhode Island 
Grant Golden, Richmond 
Kyle Lofton, St. Bonaventure 
Hasahn French, Saint Louis 

Third Team
Sincere Carry, Duquesne 
Fatts Russell, Rhode Island 
Osun Osunniyi, St. Bonaventure 
Jordan Goodwin, Saint Louis 
De'Riante Jenkins, VCU 
Marcus Santos-Silva, VCU 

Defensive Team
Jacob Gilyard, Richmond 
Marcus Evans, VCU 

Richmond sounds about right imo, they finished 10th without Sherod, and we return a lot (Golden 17 ppg, Gilyard 16 ppg, Cayo 12 ppg, sherod 12 ppg.)

I could see them as high as 4th. 

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Second Team
Jalen Crutcher, Dayton 
Grant Golden, Richmond 

Third Team
Sincere Carry, Duquesne 
De'Riante Jenkins, VCU 
Marcus Santos-Silva, VCU 

Just going off of names, I feel like the 3rd team is better than the 2nd. 

Just now, wgstl said:

Just going off of names, I feel like the 3rd team is better than the 2nd. 

Santos-Silva not being on the 2nd team surprises me; I thought he might even crack the top team. The rest makes sense to me, though. Kier and Lofton will score a ton, Crutcher is the top guard on a pretty deep Dayton team, Golden could easily have been a first-teamer, Dowtin and Langevine are the seniors on what should be a strong Rhody team, and French is a marked man in the league. I figured Gilyard-Golden and Dowtin-Langevine would have split votes, although I wasn't sure either Rhody guy would make the first team.

That's not to say the third team couldn't beat the second if they played head to head, though.

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Santos-Silva not being on the 2nd team surprises me; I thought he might even crack the top team. The rest makes sense to me, though. Kier and Lofton will score a ton, Crutcher is the top guard on a pretty deep Dayton team, Golden could easily have been a first-teamer, Dowtin and Langevine are the seniors on what should be a strong Rhody team, and French is a marked man in the league. I figured Gilyard-Golden and Dowtin-Langevine would have split votes, although I wasn't sure either Rhody guy would make the first team.

That's not to say the third team couldn't beat the second if they played head to head, though.

Right. Stats aside, I just feel like I hear about santos-silva, jenkins, osunniyi a lot at the end and of course Goodwin more than I hear about crutcher, Kier, and Lofton.   That may be because of how often I see A10 media accounts talking about VCU 

42 minutes ago, Pistol said:

First Team:
Kellan Grady, Davidson 
Jon Axel Gudmundsson, Davidson 
Obi Toppin, Dayton 
Jacob Gilyard, Richmond 
Marcus Evans, VCU 

Second Team
Jalen Crutcher, Dayton 
Grant Golden, Richmond 

Third Team
Sincere Carry, Duquesne 
De'Riante Jenkins, VCU 
Marcus Santos-Silva, VCU 

Defensive Team
Jacob Gilyard, Richmond 
Marcus Evans, VCU 

Man, I already knew that the A10 was returning a ton of people, but seeing them listed out like this really hammers it home. A10 is gonna be good this year. 4 teams in the tourney, I'm calling it now.

Pistol likes this

Just now, HoosierPal said:

Rhody has three on the All Conference lists.  They could be the surprise team of the league, even though they are picked 4th. 

I've had them fourth all along. The only "surprise" would be if they could be a fourth Tournament team, and I think they very well could be. Doesn't seem like many outside the league think that, though.

Ford and Schmidt are just sitting down to get going on ESPN+. Some of their chatter was caught on mic before they went live. Nothing of substance.

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I've had them fourth all along. The only "surprise" would be if they could be a fourth Tournament team, and I think they very well could be. Doesn't seem like many outside the league think that, though.

Ford and Schmidt are just sitting down to get going on ESPN+. Some of their chatter was caught on mic before they went live. Nothing of substance.

Yeah, KenPom has them preseason as 83rd.  We play them on the road, so that could turn into a Quad 1 game, if Rhody slightly over performs.

Andy Katz's sit-down with Schmidt and Ford:

• Ford thinks the 5th and 7th place finishes for SBU and SLU are realistic. Talked about how many teams have a lot of key players back, maybe more returning strength than any other league.
  • Katz asked about the SLU-SBU final last season and the famous dogpile photo. Ford said it was a bit surreal. Talked about the last game of the season between SBU and SLU for fourth place and the double bye, and how deflating he thought it would be to lose that. Ford apologized for not getting to shake Schmidt's hand after the A10 Tournament finish, that there were so many weird missed shots at the end and none of it seemed real. Schmidt said it was terrible, but that coming from a slow start and having a shot at the Tournament was amazing. They both lost their minds as the final shot was in the air. "Out of body experience."
  • Ford said they were probably overrated last season, given that by the time the A10 season actually started, they'd been battling injuries. They started 5-0 and then lost 4 straight, which he said was probably good for them in the long run.
  • Schmidt said the league's balance makes the Tournament week so chaotic. Katz said the Sunday game creates havoc for the committee. Ford says people will take notice of the league this year.
  • Schmidt said the sophomores are the key to them making a run this season - Lofton, Osunniyi, and Welch. Said the hardest thing about playing SLU is that they have "25,000 plays" and are extremely physical ("dealing with tackling").
  • Ford says the hardest thing about playing in Olean are the bus rides, and the fact that Schmidt's players improve so much every year.

Nice little interview but it felt too short.

10 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I knew ST B's started out bad last year , but not 4-10. Quite a turn around. I have a feeling we could mirror them this year. 

Stockard plus another starter were hurt the first 1/4 of the season.  They lost a bunch early, but they also got a lot of playing time for their younger players which benefited them later on.

St Bonnie has only one senior on this year's squad, back up C Ipkeze.  I'm calling it right now, if that squad stays together after this season, they are A10 Co-champs (with the Bills) in 2020-21.