Preseason 2019-20 record prediction

bauman

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

If we sneak in that means we had some really good OOC wins. Like beat SH, KSU, and/or Auburn. Would have to win 2 of those 3 to get in. I like this team, but...... I have my doubts. 

Travis Is contender for coach of the year if we make the NCAA Tournament. 

My prediction isn't open for discussion.

16 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

I think we’re going to surprise. No ones going to bet on us since we have 7 newcomers and not a crazy espn rated class, but we have a better scoring class this year with very similar defense. Scoring last year was our Achilles heel until the last few games when it clicked with Isabel 

Javon Bess the heart of our defense will not be so easily replaced.......I don't see how we are similar without someone, Thatch maybe, taking a leap forward....

32 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Javon Bess the heart of our defense will not be so easily replaced.......I don't see how we are similar without someone, Thatch maybe, taking a leap forward....

As he was. As he was. As of now, irreplaceable.  But not having a bench is why our defensive ppg slipped mid conference by almost 6 ppg.  6 ppg for that team was like 10 for most. Fresh Legs can replace what Bess did if everyone buys into it like Bess did. 

On 10/23/2019 at 9:09 AM, slu72 said:

Not going to start a separate thread for this question. Where do you think the A10 Coaches will have us in the standings after Media Day? 

I'm going with the 8 spot. 

1) VCU

2)Davidson 

3)UD 

4)St. B's

5) UR 

6) URI

7) DUQ

8.)SLU

No idea after that other than Fordham DFL. 

Pretty good, the A-10 preseason poll released today at media day is:

1. VCU

2. Davidson

3. Dayton

4. Rhode Island

5. St. Bonaventure

6. Richmond

7. Saint Louis

8. Duquesne

9. George Mason

10. La Salle

11. Massachusetts

12. George Washington

13. Saint Joseph's

14. Fordham 

13 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Pretty good, the A-10 preseason poll released today at media day is:

1. VCU

2. Davidson

3. Dayton

4. Rhode Island

5. St. Bonaventure

6. Richmond

7. Saint Louis

8. Duquesne

9. George Mason

10. La Salle

11. Massachusetts

12. George Washington

13. Saint Joseph's

14. Fordham 

I did have Fordham spot on. The 4-6 spots could easily be 50-50 for any of those teams. Same for us and Duquesne. 

For us to crack the 4-6 slots is going to take the following to happen:

1) Thatch makes a leap forward on Offense. 

2) Jacobs and Hankton live up to some of the hype we're hearing.

3.) Jimmy Ring My Bell 🔔 is good enough to give us 15 Foreman type mpg. 

4.) Yurimania lives up to my expectations. We'll need him to if we're going to push it. 

5.) Perkins and Jimerson can score at this level. 

The above is not in any order of priority, although 3 and 5 are pretty critical. We need to give French help and some breathers on the inside, and we need points to come from the new guys. 

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I did have Fordham spot on. The 4-6 spots could easily be 50-50 for any of those teams. Same for us and Duquesne. 

For us to crack the 4-6 slots is going to take the following to happen:

1) Thatch makes a leap forward on Offense. 

2) Jacobs and Hankton live up to some of the hype we're hearing.

3.) Jimmy Ring My Bell 🔔 is good enough to give us 15 Foreman type mpg. 

4.) Yurimania lives up to my expectations. We'll need him to if we're going to push it. 

5.) Perkins and Jimerson can score at this level. 

The above is not in any order of priority, although 3 and 5 are pretty critical. We need to give French help and some breathers on the inside, and we need points to come from the new guys. 

you mean to crack the 4-6 one of those things needs to happen?

If all of those things happen we win the A10

almaman likes this

21 minutes ago, wgstl said:

you mean to crack the 4-6 one of those things needs to happen?

If all of those things happen we win the A10

No all of them. The top 3 are pretty solid. Not sure if all 5 came to pass we'd knock out any of them. They got too much talent and experience. UD possibly if they struggle to put their new puzzle together. 

On 10/24/2019 at 9:29 AM, wgstl said:

As he was. As he was. As of now, irreplaceable.  But not having a bench is why our defensive ppg slipped mid conference by almost 6 ppg.  6 ppg for that team was like 10 for most. Fresh Legs can replace what Bess did if everyone buys into it like Bess did. 

Yes.

1) Athletic ability, 2) physical tools, 3) intelligence, 4) technique and 5) desire are what is needed for good defense.   Our guys appear to have the first 3, Coach Ford will supply 4) and then it will be up to each player to demonstrate 5)   

Can we replace Senior Javon Bess with a single player?  No.   Can we replace Senior Javon Bess with team of players?  Yes. 

wgstl likes this

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

I’ll go 16-14

I like this team. I really really like this team. I just have a tough time being overly optimistic about a team that will rely on so many first year D1 players.

Next year?

Next year we dominate and after we dominate we dance!

-are dominate and dance in the same season, that being next season?

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Do not discard the possibility of going to the dance this season. I think it may happen.

I also believe there's a possibility of the Billikens getting to the 2020 NCAA Tournament, but it will almost certainly be as an automatic qualifier after winning the A-10 Tournament.

34 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I also believe there's a possibility of the Billikens getting to the 2020 NCAA Tournament, but it will almost certainly be as an automatic qualifier after winning the A-10 Tournament.

Why. I have no idea about how good we could be,but until we play who knows. May kick ass from day one,may not. 

On 10/25/2019 at 1:31 PM, Clock_Tower said:

Yes.

1) Athletic ability, 2) physical tools, 3) intelligence, 4) technique and 5) desire are what is needed for good defense.   Our guys appear to have the first 3, Coach Ford will supply 4) and then it will be up to each player to demonstrate 5)   

Can we replace Senior Javon Bess with a single player?  No.   Can we replace Senior Javon Bess with team of players?  Yes. 

Bess's unique contribution was defending the other team's best perimeter player. When he and Thatch were on the floor at the same time, we could make it very hard on the other team. Even if Thatch can be the 1st team defender Bess was last year, we don't have anyone to play the role Thatch did last year.

Having two defenders of that caliber was a luxury. We'll have to make up for it offensively.

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Bess's unique contribution was defending the other team's best perimeter player. When he and Thatch were on the floor at the same time, we could make it very hard on the other team. Even if Thatch can be the 1st team defender Bess was last year, we don't have anyone to play the role Thatch did last year.

Having two defenders of that caliber was a luxury. We'll have to make up for it offensively.

Perhaps Collins will grow into that role.  Weaver is another good candidate.  Also, I think that Hargrove will be a feared defender, in time.