Preseason 2019-20 record prediction

bauman

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

We’re halfway through the season and they still haven’t diagnosed why he’s having the issues he’s having, he still needs to get back in game shape once they get it corrected. I don’t see how he’s back any time soon 

Agree. Also don’t know how to square what you said with Ford saying Thatch would be back by conference play.  Lots of mystery with this situation.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

We’re halfway through the season and they still haven’t diagnosed why he’s having the issues he’s having, he still needs to get back in game shape once they get it corrected. I don’t see how he’s back any time soon 

After the K-State game coach said, "we expect Thatch to be back after the 1st of the year in time for conference play". 

2 minutes ago, Compton said:

After the K-State game coach said, "we expect Thatch to be back after the 1st of the year in time for conference play". 

When and where? This has been whispered on the board but also nobody has confirmed this. Ford said what a week ago that they were waiting on 10 day tests. Let’s say that’s 5 more days. That would put results at dec 31st, then you have to, presumably Medicate and then Thatch would need to get back to game shape. I don’t see it.

9 minutes ago, Compton said:

Good to know that the "possible loss of Thatch for the rest of the season" comment is coming from nowhere. 

It’s coming from common sense, unlike the ready to play the first of the year which nobody has any proof of or makes any logical sense. It is more possible at this point that Thatch will not finish the season than be ready to play Jan 1. 

19 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

MBM = Message board moron. A moniker I’m proud to claim

AKA this can't be unique to our board it would seem as all start with MB and probably have roughly same % of morons. As this is only MB I've ever been involved with have no idea. cool if we are alone.

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

When and where? This has been whispered on the board but also nobody has confirmed this. Ford said what a week ago that they were waiting on 10 day tests. Let’s say that’s 5 more days. That would put results at dec 31st, then you have to, presumably Medicate and then Thatch would need to get back to game shape. I don’t see it.

Carter said the tests should be back in 2-3 days on the 20th based on what he was told.  

4 hours ago, CBFan said:

10 non conference D1 wins if they beat B-Cook seemed optimistic in November to some.

14-4 if there are no more injuries and Thatch comes back which I believe he will return.

Dayton can be beat at Chaifetz, Jimmy Bell is good enough to defend Toppin or at least slow him down, and our team has many more weapons that can score.

Can our team score enough from 3 point range with the loss of Jimerson to open up the floor will also be key.

I do not think a team lead by French and Goodwin with coach Ford that plays their best in February finishing 14-4 in the A10 is super optimistic, I am drinking the blue koolaide by the gallons.

My primary concern with this team is that because of their poor shooting they are vulnerable to bad/mediocre teams that can play a decent zone defense and knock down some 3s, potentially allowing them to keep a game close and steal it. When you add in the poor FT shooting that makes winning close games even more dicey, at some point bad FT shooting will come back to bite and bite hard because while the A10 will present some opportunities for quality wins there are also opportunities for some truly horrific losses. 

With their best shooter Jimerson shooting 47% from the field and 42.9% from 3 the teams percentages are 44% and 34% respectively. If you take out his numbers the percentages drop to 44% and 31%. More concerning is that the next 2 players with the most 3 pt attempts (Jacobs and Perkins) are shooting 38% and 27%. 

Hopefully the coaching staff can figure out some ways to mitigate these weaknesses. 

9 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Carter said the tests should be back in 2-3 days on the 20th based on what he was told.  

Those tests aren’t guaranteed to give a definitive diagnosis. But if it does that’s only giving him 7 days to react to treatment and get back in game shape. I’m just saying there’s no reason to get your hopes up for this start of conference deadline. 

14 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Those tests aren’t guaranteed to give a definitive diagnosis. But if it does that’s only giving him 7 days to react to treatment and get back in game shape. I’m just saying there’s no reason to get your hopes up for this start of conference deadline. 

You are assuming that Fred is medicating or that he will medicate and that it will take time for any medication or new medication to take effect and work. Maybe no medication is needed. Maybe the same medication continues and the positive effects are already realized but just testing to rule out something else. Not saying your thoughts are wrong or unreasonable.  In fact, they make sense to those of us kept in the dark.  At the same time, the second most informed guy after Fred is Coach Ford, that he has not been kept in the dark and that if he is saying fred will play by conference, then why dismiss him?  

4 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

You are assuming that Fred is medicating or that he will medicate and that it will take time for any medication or new medication to take effect and work. Maybe no medication is needed. Maybe the same medication continues and the positive effects are already realized but just testing to rule out something else. Not saying your thoughts are wrong or unreasonable.  In fact, they make sense to those of us kept in the dark.  At the same time, the second most informed guy after Fred is Coach Ford, that he has not been kept in the dark and that if he is saying fred will play by conference, then why dismiss him?  

Bullseye

35 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

When Ford supposedly made those comments about Fred, no one knew what was causing the issues.  Don’t know if anything has changed since then. Fred’s issues started before the season even started. Hopefully a diagnosis has come or will soon come, but I think it is wishful thinking that Fred could be in game shape in less than two weeks if that happens.

2 hours ago, almaman said:

AKA this can't be unique to our board it would seem as all start with MB and probably have roughly same % of morons. As this is only MB I've ever been involved with have no idea. cool if we are alone.

I really don’t know either 

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Isn’t it also possible that even if he can’t play in games Thatch is still working out / staying close to game shape despite the cramping / fatigue?  I can’t imagine he will jump in right away his 1st game back and give us 35 minutes, but I think it’s possible he’d be ready to give 10-15 with little notice.

At the same time, I understand where you’re coming from.  If he hasn’t been able to work out at all, it will take some time to ramp back up.

We’re not close to this point yet, but I wonder at what point we start talking about a medical redshirt for Thatch.  Is it worth it for him to come back only for a couple games?

On 12/24/2019 at 6:49 PM, Slowry said:

I have no medical knowledge and I don’t know anything about FTJs medical history.  Having said that could being diabetic lead to these issues?  Or point at what could be causing them?  

The exact problem we have about Fred Thatch is that there is extremely little that is known about his medical issues. We know he has cramps, and we know he needed some kind of test that takes 2 weeks to produce results. It is not clear if the specialized test is being done in St. Louis or sent elsewhere. Whatever it is, supposedly Ford (although it is  not certain he was the one saying this) stated he would be ready for conference play. In my mind that assumes the fancy test either  came back (-) or is expected (by ? reasons) to come back (-). You can deduce from the type of test he is having that he does not have a common disorder (diabetes and mono qualify as common), or that they needed to rule out something fairly exotic and uncommon. Period.

If Ford indeed said he would be ready for conference play, then he knows something we do not know. When we see him suited or playing we will know. Right now there is a back and forth discussion as to who said what and to whom. All I can say is that if Ford indeed said so, then he is likely to be playing in the conference.

Better look again JJU and DHH ---- swing games still exist.  At 10 and 1 Duquesne for one.  While I don't put much stock in their record, they are 10 and 1.  At Richmond, sitting at 10 and 2,  plus playing in Richmond.  Home and away against the ranked Dayton Flyers.  Hoping for a split.  Don't know who covers Toppin.  At Davidson, always a tough place to play. In the mausoleum against a surprising 8 and 3 La Salle.  At 7 and 3 Rhode isalnd, who matches up well with us.  VCU because they are VCU.  At 11 and 2 Mason and as always the Brownies from Bonaventure who always seem to own us come March.

I think each of those games will come down to who imposes their will on whom.

I have no doubt that we will lose some games in conference, maybe some of the losses will be against teams we should have beaten. Who really  knows what will happen in every single game? However it plays out, I think we are well on the way to 25-6 by the end of the  conference season.

58 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I have no doubt that we will lose some games in conference, maybe some of the losses will be against teams we should have beaten. Who really  knows what will happen in every single game? However it plays out, I think we are well on the way to 25-6 by the end of the  conference season.

I'm thinking JJU is pulling our leg with his/her running the table post.  OG, I am with you on 25-6, meaning 14-4 in A10 play.  Hopefully we are right which means no more season -ending injuries and getting FT Jr. back soon.  A big signal of how well we will do in the Conf season will be our opener, at DUQ.  As I pointed out in another post a few days back, the first 6 A10 games will be a tough period to get through.