bauman

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Seems premature for this comment. 

Thatch didn't just become a high-level defender when he got to SLU, he was that guy in high school.  I've watched a ton of Yuri and Hargrove in high school and have a good handle on what they're capable of. Totally unsurprised by the learning curve Hargrove is going through and Yuri, while a good defender, is not on Thatch's level.  I said before Weaver got here that he was just a rotation player.  He's currently being beaten out in the rotation by a sophomore that didn't even log 100 minutes last year.  Being the best defender for an incredibly bad defensive team in the OVC does not necessarily translate to being a high level defender at SLU.  

I don't think it's too early to make the Thatch comment at all. Our best defensive days are ahead of us, when Yuri and Hargrove become sophomores.

Zink and Littlebill like this

18 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Thatch didn't just become a high-level defender when he got to SLU, he was that guy in high school.  I've watched a ton of Yuri and Hargrove in high school and have a good handle on what they're capable of. Totally unsurprised by the learning curve Hargrove is going through and Yuri, while a good defender, is not on Thatch's level.  I said before Weaver got here that he was just a rotation player.  He's currently being beaten out in the rotation by a sophomore that didn't even log 100 minutes last year.  Being the best defender for an incredibly bad defensive team in the OVC does not necessarily translate to being a high level defender at SLU. 

I was impressed with Collins' Defense in the exhibition.  His on ball defense was solid and he was disruptive in the passing lane.  There is potential in Mr. Collins defense.  I'm looking forward to seeing him against Gilyard, Russell, Crutcher and a few others in the A10.

26 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I was impressed with Collins' Defense in the exhibition.  His on ball defense was solid and he was disruptive in the passing lane.  There is potential in Mr. Collins defense.  I'm looking forward to seeing him against Gilyard, Russell, Crutcher and a few others in the A10.

I think that the word "disruptive" will assume a greater meaning for us as the season progresses. My understanding of Shaka's havoc, as imperfect as it may be, is that it depended more on the disruption of the opponent's plans and actions than upon anything else. I see an important role for Yuri in this regard, again this will become clear as the season progresses.

Even if Collins is a high level defender, he can only guard the smallest opposing player on the court.  Bess and Thatch are able to shutdown positions 1-4 essentially.  Their ability to guard interchangeable was what led to a lot of our success last season.

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I don't think it's too early to make the Thatch comment at all. Our best defensive days are ahead of us, when Yuri and Hargrove become sophomores.

Last year we had no depth at the 4 and 5 - beyond French and Foreman.  Thatch was no lock down defender at the start of last year - but did grow into this role - but never did lock down other team’s big guys. And yes, Thatch and Bess were sure good defensively midway thru the year, but Isabel and Wiley were not and Foreman was just OK.  And we had no one else. When French got in foul trouble we had no one to replace him - and neither Thatch nor Bess helped all that much in that regard. This year we have Bell, Hankton, Diarra, Hargrove and even Perkins who can help out with the bigs and Yuri along w Weaver and Jacobs with the guards. None are lockdown defenders - especially now, but depth and possibly our new defensive schemes will help.  We will sorely miss Bess - but that’s college basketball.  And team depth is this year’s answer. I have not given up on this year.     

And further, Thatch and Foreman were offensive liabilities last year. 

On 10/22/2019 at 3:28 PM, TheChosenOne said:

I know I am being an idiot, but I find myself buying into some of the recent Ford quotes and some of these practice videos. I am just flat out chugging blue Kool-Aid right now, LET'S F@CKING GO!

I'm still chugging!!!! Hopefully my heart doesn't explode and I make it to Saturday evening!

After last night's performance, I am revising my season prediction:

OOC: 13-0

A10: 16-0

A10 Tourney: 3-0

NCAA Tourney:  1-1 (My prediction needs to be somewhat realistic)

33-1

14 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

My tough five are Seton Hall, Auburn, Kansas State, Boston College and Belmont.  

I think we go 1-1 with Belmont or BC, most likely being Belmont because it’s at home. Both seem to be quality Scheduling work by TFord 

3 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

NCAA birth and win the first game

this team is much better than last years with chemistry and shooting. Goodwin and French were essentially role players to the entire team and still put up high numbers 

That would surely be an illegitimate red-headed step-child!

rgbilliken likes this

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2019 at 2:30 PM, bauman said:

Before seeing the team, even in the exhibition game,  we normally do an early prediction thread.  As when we played Rockhurst, we have another D2 team on the schedule (Maryville), which usually generated a discussion on if we should count that game, since it is not considered in the NCAA tournament selection process.  To clarify, I am counting it in this prediction and am only predicting regular season games-prior to the conference tournament.

Prediction------------22-9.  Losses: E Wash (our annual clunker game); @BC; Auburn; @ Duquesne; @ Richmond; @ Davidson; @ Dayton; VCU; @ URI

This means 12-6 in the A-10 regular season, probably 5th or 6th.

I

Based on viewing many games up to and including Thanksgiving, I think we can go 25-6, best case in our regular season, pre A10 tourney.  6-1 a/o 11/28 with 5 likely losses to Auburn, SVU twice, at Richmond and at URI.  Again, I see this as best case with K-St, at Davidson and VCU as tossups.  Losing all of the just mentioned games takes us back to 22-9, my original, pre-season prediction.  As Old Guy likes to say, it could happen or not.

Since I am now hearing most of the Talking Heads saying that the Selection Committee is more concerned with good wins instead of bad losses, I don't think even my best case (25-6) gets us in the Dance without winning the A-10 tournament.  We would only have "good wins" against Belmont and K St, and those are not "great wins."  Now, beat Dayton or Auburn and everything changes, but I don't see either of those in the cards.  A win vs SH would have been nice.

The plight of the mid-majors!

• 4 weeks later...

Still on track with my "best case" prediction on 11/28, including losing to Auburn and winning one of the games I showed as a tossup,(KSU).  As I look at the rest of the season I think we will fall short of 25-6, pre A10 tournament due to the possibility of not having FT Jr for quite a few more games (if he even plays the rest of this year at all) and the certain ;loss of Jimerson, neither of which I factored in to my hoped for record.   On the positive side of the ledger, TJH Jr. is producing way beyond my expectations on 11/28 even with it being a small sample size.

I loved beating KSU tonight especially without Fred and Gibson.  Good job guys and coaches!  You gotta love having Perkins, Weaver and Hargrove coming in off the bench.  Even without Thatch and Jimerson this is still a very deep, productive bench, albeit small in numbers.

7 hours ago, bauman said:

Still on track with my "best case" prediction on 11/28, including losing to Auburn and winning one of the games I showed as a tossup,(KSU).  As I look at the rest of the season I think we will fall short of 25-6, pre A10 tournament due to the possibility of not having FT Jr for quite a few more games (if he even plays the rest of this year at all) and the certain ;loss of Jimerson, neither of which I factored in to my hoped for record.   On the positive side of the ledger, TJH Jr. is producing way beyond my expectations on 11/28 even with it being a small sample size.

I loved beating KSU tonight especially without Fred and Gibson.  Good job guys and coaches!  You gotta love having Perkins, Weaver and Hargrove coming in off the bench.  Even without Thatch and Jimerson this is still a very deep, productive bench, albeit small in numbers.

25-6 was also my prediction thinking Thatch and Jimerson playing a big part in accomplishing that.

Our team has been about the next man up, last night is was Tay Weaver.

Our team is deep and so far have been able to overcome injuries.

Coach Ford now has his eight man rotation and I hope that Hankton can play some quality minutes this season.  Tay Weaver is now our sniper off the bench and his numbers will improve with increased playing time.  All 3 bench players can score and this is a difference from a normal SLU bench.  I like our team and I think it will accomplish post season play probably the NIT however in Ford and our players I trust to find a way to get into the big dance.

Next seasons team if it stays healthy will beat teams like Auburn and Seton Hall and I think will be ranked.

HenryB likes this

29 minutes ago, CBFan said:

25-6 was also my prediction thinking Thatch and Jimerson playing a big part in accomplishing that.

Our team has been about the next man up, last night is was Tay Weaver.

Our team is deep and so far have been able to overcome injuries.

Coach Ford now has his eight man rotation and I hope that Hankton can play some quality minutes this season.  Tay Weaver is now our sniper off the bench and his numbers will improve with increased playing time.  All 3 bench players can score and this is a difference from a normal SLU bench.  I like our team and I think it will accomplish post season play probably the NIT however in Ford and our players I trust to find a way to get into the big dance.

Next seasons team if it stays healthy will beat teams like Auburn and Seton Hall and I think will be ranked.

Any thought (hope) of getting a NCAA at-large bid, took on water yesterday with the Dayton and VCU losses.

18 minutes ago, bauman said:

Any thought (hope) of getting a NCAA at-large bid, took on water yesterday with the Dayton and VCU losses.

Dayton lost in overtime against a good Colorado team so Dayton stays solid and should be ranked the rest of the seasons.

I like VCU and Rhode Island they should will be quality wins however I agree the at large bid is getting tougher, Tulane, BC, and Belmont all lost.

I think finishing 25-6 with wins against Dayton, VCU and Rhode Island puts us in the bubble.

The best path to the big dance is finish in the top 4 of the A10 and win the tournament again.

I am fired up for the conference play to start 14-4 is doable and our gritty team can get it done.

20 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Dayton lost in overtime against a good Colorado team so Dayton stays solid and should be ranked the rest of the seasons.

I like VCU and Rhode Island they should will be quality wins however I agree the at large bid is getting tougher, Tulane, BC, and Belmont all lost.

I think finishing 25-6 with wins against Dayton, VCU and Rhode Island puts us in the bubble.

The best path to the big dance is finish in the top 4 of the A10 and win the tournament again.

I am fired up for the conference play to start 14-4 is doable and our gritty team can get it done.

Hmm.  I think if the Bills were to finish the 2019-20 regular season 25-6, they'd be in the NCAA Tournament as an at-large with room to spare.