Secret Squirrel in Chicago?

Taj79

iirc someone said during the Memphis scrimmage that in these practice scrimmages, the bench is used way more than it ever would be. Sorta the only way to give your bench a ton of minutes without worrying about a loss. 

If true, this is still a good thing.  Im not really worried about the starting cast. 

Rumors on A10 Secret Scrimmages: copies of posts from A10 Forum

Rhody beats BC 77-70 yesterday at their gym. And Cyril Langevine was out with a nagging ankle injury, so that's a good sign the rest of the team filled in competently for his absence. The snippet of box score I saw had the top 2 scorers as Tyrese Martin with 20 and Fatts Russell with 17 (8-9 FTs).

VCU's scrimmage with UVA has been kept a secret other than a UVA blogger. He said that UVA won in a sloppy offensive but tough defensive scrimmage. That matches up with what I heard. It was very close and both teams played really good D.

UMass had a scrimmage with Hofstra and did well. Saw a tweet, found it:

Quote:
Curry Hicks Sage
@CurryHicksSage

Multiple sources: it went really well and the team looked much much better than prognosticators are expecting them to be this this year. UMass was victorious against a Hofstra team that’s picked to win the CAA. It’s extraordinary early but that’s very encouraging.

Fordham had a secret scrimmage at Army and the Rams supposedly won.

Cincybill likes this

This is fun.

Media training is easily 5x more complicated than it used to be back when I was in college. We had a single session before each season and that was pretty much it. Four years and no controversies. But the upturned media landscape, introduction and evolution of social media, heightened political polarization, and hyper-awareness of fans - I don't envy these guys having to navigate this now. I think this generation is way more savvy - which, of course they are because they grew up with this environment - but it's still so, so much more challenging now. Hopefully the training is way more comprehensive than it used to be. I'm guessing it is.

21 minutes ago, Pistol said:
I think this generation is way more savvy - which, of course they are because they grew up with this environment - but it's still so, so much more challenging now.

Savvy in what regard? Physically giving interviews since they have likely done quite a bit more of that than past generations? At this point being able to not have to worry about social media seems like such a blessing, life was so much easier for coaches and players. All you had to worry about was the local paper and local media types who were the same dozen or so faces and likely uninterested in reflecting the players in anything other than a positive light since they were likely just filing time with a Billiken story.

3 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Savvy in what regard? Physically giving interviews since they have likely done quite a bit more of that than past generations?

That, plus coming across better in those interviews, navigating social media, and always considering the public facing image of SLU and the basketball program. This current group of players in particular knows how to put forth an image of a tight-knit team and an environment of positivity more than I've ever seen before despite being a young team that largely has not played together yet.

In our day, players were going to get a relatively small set of questions from a relatively small set of media figures. As long as they could avoid letting emotion getting the best of them after, say, a close loss, you pretty much knew what you were going to see.

Now, you can go back to your locker and pick up your phone and a social media controversy may have popped up during a game, or you get a question about it from someone in the press room - which now may include more non-traditional media.

I'm both nervous on their behalf for the larger set of media challenges they face, and generally impressed by how they manage them.

TheChosenOne likes this

Info for pre-season “secret” scrimmages is up to the coach. Indiana played Marquette in Indy recently. Marquette released full box scores and their Milwaukee newspaper beat writer wrote an article about it with an interview w/video highlights with their head coach. Info varies with programs. Carter Chapley has already provided more helpful LU info to me, since he started with Danny Mac than some other outlets have over a longer period of time.

18 hours ago, Pistol said:

That, plus coming across better in those interviews, navigating social media, and always considering the public facing image of SLU and the basketball program. This current group of players in particular knows how to put forth an image of a tight-knit team and an environment of positivity more than I've ever seen before despite being a young team that largely has not played together yet.

In our day, players were going to get a relatively small set of questions from a relatively small set of media figures. As long as they could avoid letting emotion getting the best of them after, say, a close loss, you pretty much knew what you were going to see.

Now, you can go back to your locker and pick up your phone and a social media controversy may have popped up during a game, or you get a question about it from someone in the press room - which now may include more non-traditional media.

I'm both nervous on their behalf for the larger set of media challenges they face, and generally impressed by how they manage them.

You are entirely correct in this regard, we live in a world in which public image is extremely important. Public image is made or destroyed (easier to destroy than to make) by tweets made by individuals, including basketball players. The kids may well have the future of the program in their hands and it is important that they, at the very least, understand what this media world is all about.

1 hour ago, courtside said:

Info for pre-season “secret” scrimmages is up to the coach. Indiana played Marquette in Indy recently. Marquette released full box scores and their Milwaukee newspaper beat writer wrote an article about it with an interview w/video highlights with their head coach. Info varies with programs. Carter Chapley has already provided more helpful LU info to me, since he started with Danny Mac than some other outlets have over a longer period of time.

-seems like there has been an evolution, or regression depending on your pov, as to what can be said about these "secret" scrimmages, how long will it be before fans can attend?

Richmond beats Virginia Tech 89-70 in secret scrimmage

6a4b1ac034727a52a7a1fa46b3aa258d?s=26&d=By Noah Goldberg Last updated Oct 26, 2019

The Spiders hosted Virginia Tech today in a not-so-secret scrimmage in the Robins Center, beating the Hokies 89-70, per source.  With an exhibition against Randolph Macon College approaching on November 3rd, they got to face external talent and get a feel for what the bench minutes could look like.  

Richmond was efficient, shooting 57 FG%, 7-13 3FG and putting out an 18-8 assist to turnover ratio.  They also out rebounded the Hokies 34 to 24 after ranking in the bottom five in the nation a season ago.  

Coming off of an ACL injury, Nick Sherod had a strong showing, grabbing 20 points, five rebounds and two assists in 21 minutes of action.  Junior Grant Golden also added 20 points along with seven rebounds and three assists in just under 24 minutes. Neither them nor the rest of the starting five – Blake Francis, Nathan Cayo and Jacob Gilyard – played more than 27 minutes, indicating how much deeper this team is from a year ago when Gilyard played 37 a night.  

Junior Nathan Cayo is coming off of a breakout season that saw his scoring increase by over 10 per game.  Today he shot 3-5 from the field but shot an encouraging 5-6 from the free throw line.  Last year, Cayo was second on Richmond in free throw attempts but only hit them at a 58% clip.  Though it’s only a preseason scrimmage, this could signal progress after he made adjusting his shot a summer priority. The Spiders were 20-24 FT as a team, another good sign after shooting 66 FT% in 2018-2019.

Mooney used a full nine man rotation, bringing in Andre Gustavson (22 minutes), Jake Wojcik (22 minutes), Tyler Burton (18 minutes) and Sal Koureissi (13 minutes) off the bench.  None scored in double figures, although Gustavson posted a 23 +/- differential and three assists. Wojcik didn’t take any threes, but he grabbed five rebounds and dished out three assists.  Koureissi didn’t score but had six rebounds, only trailing Golden’s seven. He played 6.6 minutes per night last year and at 6’ 9” could continue to find more time if he remains a presence on the glass.  Freshman Tyler Burton scored 5 points on 2-5 FG and snatching three rebounds.

3star_recruit likes this