A10 V Mountain west challenge match ups for 2020

wgstl

1 minute ago, Basketbill said:

wouldn't that be San Diego State

Yes. San Diego (private Catholic school) is in the WCC with Gonzaga and St. Mary's. Confusing matters further is that UC-San Diego is joining D-I next year.

My post from the other thread: 

Full release: http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31600&ATCLID=211814499

SDSU at SLU on December 5th.

SDSU is a good matchup. They're being picked to finish 2nd in the MWC this season and finished 4th last season.

Looks like Fordham, UMass, GW, and La Salle are the odd teams out, with San Jose State as the only MWC team not playing. Weird that they didn't just make it an 11-team event to cover the whole MWC.

18 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yes. San Diego (private Catholic school) is in the WCC with Gonzaga and St. Mary's. Confusing matters further is that UC-San Diego is joining D-I next year.

Full release: http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31600&ATCLID=211814499

SDSU is a good matchup. They're being picked to finish 2nd in the MWC this season and finished 4th last season.

Looks like Fordham, UMass, GW, and La Salle are the odd teams out, with San Jose State as the only MWC team not playing. Weird that they didn't just make it an 11-team event to cover the whole MWC.

The purpose of these matchups is to give all the good programs a good non-conference game. San Jose State is worse than Fordham.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

I will be interested in seeing if the lonesome four get in the Challenge in 2021.  

3 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

These inter-conference challenges usually work on a two-year cycle to balance home and away games.

Yes I know that.  I am asking if UMass, Fordham, GW and LaSalle are out for both seasons.  UMass in particular could be pretty decent by 2021-22.  Will any of these four get a game in the second round.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Yes I know that.  I am asking if UMass, Fordham, GW and LaSalle are out for both seasons.  UMass in particular could be pretty decent by 2021-22.  Will any of these four get a game in the second round.

I don't know the answer to that, but I suspect they'll be out for the two-year cycle; that's just the way it goes.

HoosierPal likes this

If the A10 picked its 10 entrants based on record, then La Salle would not have been one of them. They finished 8-10 and both Richmond and St. Joe's finished 6-12 (Fordham, GW, and UMass were the bottom three).

If the A10 were picking the teams it expects to be the 10 best this season, then St. Joe's would not be included. Maybe they're projecting a year out, but even then, St. Joe's is basically starting over this season and is a few years out.

UMass is possibly the most interesting team to watch this season. They basically reset the roster and coaching staff, which I've never seen done before by a head coach. The talent level has been upgraded but they're young and it remains to be seen how they'll play together. I'd probably include them over Fordham, St. Joe's, GW, and La Salle if I'm looking two years out, although GW and La Salle should both be better by then, too.