Ranking of A10 Coaching Jobs

moytoy12

13 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

If this was based on any science, the answer to a question in another thread as to where we stand budget wise compared to other A-10 schools is right here.  We follow VCU and Dayton.  

22 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

If this was based on any science, the answer to a question in another thread as to where we stand budget wise compared to other A-10 schools is right here.  We follow VCU and Dayton.  

Yes but also St. Joe, UMass, and Rhode Island according to this ranking.

We are making most assuredly ahead of St Joe's, UMass, and URI. And we are far behind DU and VCU largely because of their fan bases. DU is like a major state school in Dayton. The fans are rabid, because they are the entire show in that town. I guess Zaga's like that in Spokane. VCU because of that final 4 and continued dance invites. Not much competition in Richmond save for the Spiders. But VCU's much bigger than UR. I think we can catch VCU. Dayton? I doubt it. 

No it's not. The list is not the best programs, a power rankings, best teams. It's about best coaching positions. It's about the upsides, the room for growth, commitment to the program, facilities.

12 hours ago, Brighton said:

I see a certain someone downvoted me,  but it's the truth.  Start winning consistently and it'll change.

The list is from last season. I would figure the tourney berth would have some impact on it if it was done again.

Also, there is no way the recruiting base is only the ninth best in the country. With the talent that the area has been turning out and the smaller number of bigger regional programs competing for that talent, the recruiting base should be much closer to the top of the conference.  GW, VCU and Mason all in the top 5 in recruiting base? Come on. They are not only competing with each other for players from the same area, but they are competing with Georgetown, Virginia, Maryland, VA Tech, etc.  That competition hurts your recruiting base.

56 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The list is from last season. I would figure the tourney berth would have some impact on it if it was done again.

Also, there is no way the recruiting base is only the ninth best in the country. With the talent that the area has been turning out and the smaller number of bigger regional programs competing for that talent, the recruiting base should be much closer to the top of the conference.  GW, VCU and Mason all in the top 5 in recruiting base? Come on. They are not only competing with each other for players from the same area, but they are competing with Georgetown, Virginia, Maryland, VA Tech, etc.  That competition hurts your recruiting base.

St. Louis definitely punches above its weight but the DMV is over twice the size of St. Louis metro.  And we're not only competing with mid-majors in a 300 mile radius but Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa, Illinois, Mizzou, etc.  Once you get past the top 5-6 players or so in our metro, we don't have a lot of depth. 

Just look at our current class.  Caleb Love, Cam Fletcher, Ryan Kalkbrenner, Luke Kasubke and Davion Bradford (as of this evening) are off the board.  Who else would you want from this class?  But there are guys who were ranked 15-20 in the DMV who are starters in the A10. 

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

St. Louis definitely punches above its weight but the DMV is over twice the size of St. Louis metro.  And we're not only competing with mid-majors in a 300 mile radius but Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa, Illinois, Mizzou, etc.  Once you get past the top 5-6 players or so in our metro, we don't have a lot of depth. 

Just look at our current class.  Caleb Love, Cam Fletcher, Ryan Kalkbrenner, Luke Kasubke and Davion Bradford (as of this evening) are off the board.  Who else would you want from this class?  But there are guys who were ranked 15-20 in the DMV who are starters in the A10. 

Looking at your last paragraph confirms that this is NOT a good year for TF and staff in keeping the local recruiting plan in place.  We were shut out in the year following our NCAA trip, so obviously that had zero positive affect on local kids.  Hopefully, next years' class will provide a rebound in STL area recruiting.  I think it's imperative that we keep getting one or two of the local top five most years to keep building positive vibes for SLU MBB.  I understand that we are not yet in the position of being able to truly compete with the Dukes and Kentuckys for players like Love and Fletcher, but even in a year when we only had two scholarships available, it would have been nice to get any of the other 3 players you listed, into a Billiken uniform. 

With at least 3 (JG, HF, JP) open scholarships available for the following class I hope TF and staff can nail down at least one of the top five locals.

Lazy reporting.  Archie Miller and Shaka are long gone. UD arena, even w upgrades, is nowhere near as nice as Chaifetz as 1/2 of the seats are nosebleeds as you sit in the dark to watch the game  Location alone, SLU has a huge advantage in that UD Arena is a mile away from and off campus. 

cgeldmacher likes this

41 minutes ago, bauman said:

Looking at your last paragraph confirms that this is NOT a good year for TF and staff in keeping the local recruiting plan in place.  We were shut out in the year following our NCAA trip, so obviously that had zero positive affect on local kids.  Hopefully, next years' class will provide a rebound in STL area recruiting.  I think it's imperative that we keep getting one or two of the local top five most years to keep building positive vibes for SLU MBB.  I understand that we are not yet in the position of being able to truly compete with the Dukes and Kentuckys for players like Love and Fletcher, but even in a year when we only had two scholarships available, it would have been nice to get any of the other 3 players you listed, into a Billiken uniform. 

With at least 3 (JG, HF, JP) open scholarships available for the following class I hope TF and staff can nail down at least one of the top five locals.

Local recruiting at the mid-major level is more of a feast or famine proposition.  When you have plenty of playing time to offer, you have a counterpoint to offer top 150 recruits: "Hey, instead of fighting to get off the bench for a middle of the pack Big 10 team, come and be a major contributor at a rising program right away." But we just brought in one of the largest recruiting classes in SLU history and the local 2020 class is incredibly top-heavy.  So we have all these conditions going against us:

1.  We don't have much playing time to offer a top 150 guard out of high school.  Given the choice between being a rotation player at a mid-major or a high-major, a recruit will pick the high-major most of the time.

2.  A top 40 guy has his choice of high-profile programs.  Unless that guy has an intensely personal connection with SLU, you're not even getting that guy's attention.

3.  Top 100 bigs are always hard to land at the mid-major level.  Everybody is courting those guys, including bluebloods.

I think the staff did a good job of being realistic about their options.  They shot their shot with Kasubke and Bradford and it didn't work out.  They did their due diligence with the other top recruits and moved on quickly.

The local 2021 class isn't nearly as top heavy and currently projects like this:

Jordan Nesbitt 6'6 SF Top 100

Yaya Keita 6'9 PF/C Top 200

Sekou Gassama 6'10 PF/C Top 200

Nick Kern 6'5  SF Top 250

The good news is that we will have more playing time to give.  The bad news is that, so far, there isn't much depth in this class. 

bauman likes this

This was a poll of coaches, so, opinions are opinions and can't be right or wrong, but just debated.  However, some of our rankings seem to be born out of coaches being uninformed.

History/Tradition - #12 really?  We have less history and tradition than George Washington, LaSalle, St. Bonaventure, George Mason

Media Exposure - #7   Didn't necessarily disagree until I saw that St. Bonaventure is #6.  Do they even have a local TV package?

Budget/Resources -  #3   I was actually happy to see that coaches considered us to be 3rd best in this category.

Recruiting Base - #9  I think this comes from the other coaches not recruiting or expecting to get recruits out of our City or region.  If they looked closer, I think we would have ranked higher.

Facilities - #3  Only disagreement here is that I cannot see how we aren't above Dayton.  Our arena is better, and our overall facility is better

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

2 hours ago, bauman said:

It has been well documented that post season play has little impact on a current class of recruits given that the recruits have already established relationships with schools they are interested in.  The impact is on class a couple of years away.  To have expected our trip to the NCAA to bear fruit with this year's recruiting class is just not realistic.  Doesn't Perkins have 3 years left?

-from the article --- in which we polled a handful of veteran coaches in every league to determine the best JOBS in each league, all the way down to the ones that are the most difficult. -- reading this not all coaches were surveyed

-the categories that I think we are not ranked correctly are History/Tradition (part of this I fault the ADept for not proclaiming our national championship), Buy Games (I can't believe we are bought more often than #1 Duq), Recruiting Base, Facilities (I have never been to SVU Arena or Siegel but their entire package is better than what we have at Chaifetz?) and Admission Requirements (but perhaps having the largest frosh class in history plays a part).  I wonder if Media Exposure is being driven to some degree by holiday tournament participation?

17 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

It has been well documented that post season play has little impact on a current class of recruits given that the recruits have already established relationships with schools they are interested in.  The impact is on class a couple of years away.  To have expected our trip to the NCAA to bear fruit with this year's recruiting class is just not realistic.  Doesn't Perkins have 3 years left?

Perkins has two years of eligibility remaining.