Webster University

Billy Ken

It just keeps getting better and better. Look at Webster University new baseball facility. Also Priory is building a $6 million baseball complex. So Lindenwood, Maryville, Chaminade, SLUH, Priory, Edwardsville HS and College, Bayless HS, Vianney and now Webster University all have better facilities of some sort one way or another than D1 SLU. Embarrassing.

83A4D07D-E48C-401F-B91E-BACC63FD6591.png

TaLBErt likes this

Just now, Billy Ken said:

It just keeps getting better and better. Look at Webster University new baseball facility. Also Priory is building a $6 million baseball complex. So Lindenwood, Maryville, Chaminade, SLUH, Priory, Edwardsville HS and College, Bayless HS, Vianney and now Webster University all have better facilities of some sort one way or another than D1 SLU. Embarrassing.

83A4D07D-E48C-401F-B91E-BACC63FD6591.png

Such a productive  post

Could this stupid obsession have waited another couple days so we can celebrate the Strickland commitment.

Is your life so lame you just have to start this thread after the Strickland verbal.

You are the poster boy of the saying, “misery loves company”.

13 hours ago, CBFan said:

Could this stupid obsession have waited another couple days so we can celebrate the Strickland commitment.

Is your life so lame you just have to start this thread after the Strickland verbal.

You are the poster boy of the saying, “misery loves company”.

This thread was started before the commit but there's still no excuse for it

Webster is pretty nice.  The buildings are fairly attractive, and the layout of the campus is thoughtful.  They developed a comprehensive campus master plan a few years back, and they seem to be sticking to it.  Our campus, on the other hand, seems to have been developed haphazzardly over the years.  

TheA_Bomb likes this

Many Universities are not planned in a logical manner. Two I know well are MIT which is a true Maze with tunnels and overpasses everywhere, and Harvard which has a haphazard distribution of academic builidings, libraries, and even museums and recreational facilities here and there throughout several separate campuses, all of which are very different from one another. The U. of Chicago is also a maze like place. We are right in line with these places in terms of haphazard development.

brianstl likes this

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

Webster is pretty nice.  The buildings are fairly attractive, and the layout of the campus is thoughtful.  They developed a comprehensive campus master plan a few years back, and they seem to be sticking to it.  Our campus, on the other hand, seems to have been developed haphazzardly over the years.  

Also is there still a Cecil Whitaker's near by to Webster U?  I could Google it but then I don't get to add to the discussion.

I heard Webster baseball uses St. Louis company Rawlings equipment while SLU just buys whatever is on sale at Play it Again Sports.  Also our guys drink Costco seltzer water and Webster gets La Croix.

billiken_roy likes this

22 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Many Universities are not planned in a logical manner. Two I know well are MIT which is a true Maze with tunnels and overpasses everywhere, and Harvard which has a haphazard distribution of academic builidings, libraries, and even museums and recreational facilities here and there throughout several separate campuses, all of which are very different from one another. The U. of Chicago is also a maze like place. We are right in line with these places in terms of haphazard development.

And then you have Wash. U., which looks pretty amazing these days.  I'd prefer that our campus not be a hodgepodge of randomness. 

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-the campus might not be planned and executed to the nth degree, but compared to what it looked like in the 1980's it is vastly improved imo

whenever this discussion comes up, i so wish the "youngster MBM's" could go back in time to see the campus around 1980.   the transformation difference is incredible.   

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

whenever this discussion comes up, i so wish the "youngster MBM's" could go back in time to see the campus around 1980.   the transformation difference is incredible.   

How about 1970. The good news then was if You were lucky you could find a parking place on West Pine. 

22 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

That may be true, but we still have a long way to go.

Are the interiors of our buildings which I drive by and see mostly from the outside (Pius Library, Rec Center, Business School, general classrooms?) receiving upgrades every so many years? Or are all the same as I remember from 30 years ago but maybe with new paint and different carpet?   I recall extensive updates to Busch Center ...

11 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Are the interiors of our buildings which I drive by and see mostly from the outside (Pius Library, Rec Center, Business School, general classrooms?) receiving upgrades every so many years? Or are all the same as I remember from 30 years ago but maybe with new paint and different carpet?   I recall extensive updates to Busch Center ...

The inside of the rec underwent a massive upgrade about 10 years ago. 

21 hours ago, Old guy said:

This might be one of the best humble brags of all time.

21 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Also is there still a Cecil Whitaker's near by to Webster U?  I could Google it but then I don't get to add to the discussion.

I heard Webster baseball uses St. Louis company Rawlings equipment while SLU just buys whatever is on sale at Play it Again Sports.  Also our guys drink Costco seltzer water and Webster gets La Croix.

If SLU just took all the money that the baseball team generated and re-invested it in the team they could buy......lunch?

Billiken Rich likes this

5 minutes ago, ARon said:

If SLU just took all the money that the baseball team generated and re-invested it in the team they could buy......lunch?

Chicken or the egg scenario though. They aren't put in a position to generate any money outside of asking for it or throwing fundraisers. Baseball/Softball are the only teams that play in the Billiken Sports Center/Chaifetz that don't charge admission.

23 hours ago, Box and Won said:

I have to agree to disagree here. I came to SLU in 2006 and left in 2010 and I am consistently stunned with how much nicer and more fluid the campus appears to be getting each year. My uncles also attended SLU in the early '80's so I was reminded often about how much nicer it was in 2006 compared to when I was there. 

I believe that part of our 200 year anniversary preparations that began when Pestello came on board was the development of a long-term master plan which included plans for the main campus, med campus, and SLU owned property that was separated of both, I think only parts of the plan have been shared publicly though.