Welcome to SLU, Markhi Strickland!

Bills_06

His father was an interesting player.  Was on Temple in their heyday.  Made an elite eight with Macon.  Tons of NBA teammates, Duane Causwell, Donald Hodge, Eddie Jones, Aaron Mckie, Rick Brunson.  Strickland didn't start till his JR year and then left school.  Went undrafted but worked his way into a role player in the league.  He was a big man in college and played more of the 3 in the NBA.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

He is the nephew of Star Jones - so random. 

I saw that Star Jones retweeted his mom's tweet after his visit and called him nephew, but do you think they're just friends? The way some people call their close friends "aunt" and "uncle" around their kids? I don't think she's a sibling of either of his parents.

Uhh, the staff isn't supposed to comment publicly until he signs, correct? I also saw that Ford Stuen retweeted his commitment announcement. I'm guessing both of these things are frowned upon.

Just now, Pistol said:

Uhh, the staff isn't supposed to comment publicly until he signs, correct? I also saw that Ford Stuen retweeted his commitment announcement. I'm guessing both of these things are frowned upon.

NCAA rules changed. You can retweet news about a recruit and the recruit's tweets, but you can't actually tweet at the player. So dumb, right? 

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I’m less sure about the retweet but this quote definitely feels like it was meant to be off-the-record. Or if it wasn’t, it should have been.

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Yeah I can't believe he used that quote in the article.

Fairly certain the NCAA isn't going to do anything on an unnamed sourced quote, but I think SLU would probably the sentence altered to say Carter "heard" and leave it at that. 

He could also just easily paraphrase the unnamed coach to be like, "SLU sees Strickland as a potential A10 player of the year-caliber talent if he commits to the system and doesn't take plays off" or something like that.

53 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Great Article from Carter!

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/billikens-get-first-2020-recruit-commitment-in-markhi-strickland/

After the commitment was announced a member of the Billikens coaching staff told me “Once he figures out how to get his motor going constantly, he could be a super talent. (Markhi) has every bit of potential to be a future A10 player of the year type of guy. Just has to play hard all of the time and the sky is the limit.” High praise for a player who is relatively unknown on the national recruiting stage. Though, once Strickland made a physical transformation Power 5 conference schools did come looking, so it is not as if he was completely overlooked. Clearly, that potential was seen by others and the commitment stands as a potential major steal for Travis Ford and the Billikens.

That line has now been changed to "sources close to the program told me"

So I think we're all good now. Mods, please delete these posts so there is no record of the original. 😉

IMo, the original article was "perfect"

Littlebill likes this

45 minutes ago, Pistol said:

The NCAA allows retweeting and liking posts. 

As to the quote in Carter’s article, I’m going to chalk that up to poor journalism. My guess is that most journalists who write recruiting articles have sources within coaching staffs, but know not to put a direct quote, even unnamed, in an article. They know how to frame things differently.

Well I would think if what Carter did was a big problem then he just cooked his goose with the staff and any future staff.  Normally if the NCAA steps in on something like this they ban the school from signing the kid.  I am not saying this is what is/would/should happen but it really was a bonehead act.