Jacobs role this year

3star_recruit

As a sophomore, Thatch hit 30/81 from 3 point range; As a junior, 40/121; As a senior, 46/112. This, after a freshman season when he only attempted 11 (4/11).

Not saying that Fred will duplicate this proficiency, but he was a pretty efficient scorer in high school for a team that played at a high level, played good competition, and had other good players around him. High school scoring does not mean college scoring, but he has some experience putting the ball in the basket at all 3 levels.

brianstl likes this

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Bulldog Billiken said:

As a sophomore, Thatch hit 30/81 from 3 point range; As a junior, 40/121; As a senior, 46/112. This, after a freshman season when he only attempted 11 (4/11).

Not saying that Fred will duplicate this proficiency, but he was a pretty efficient scorer in high school for a team that played at a high level, played good competition, and had other good players around him. High school scoring does not mean college scoring, but he has some experience putting the ball in the basket at all 3 levels.

My eye test says he has a good looking shot and release. 

With all the excitement surrounding the new players that have come in, we're spending an awful lot of time talking about a guy that didn't do much of anything for us last year.  Guys who are pushing for Jacobs to get more playing time or expecting more from him seem to be basing their thoughts on dunk contests and games where no defense was played.  The reality is, whether anyone wants to admit it or not, that the best case scenario for the Billikens this season and in future is for other guys we have to outperform Jacobs and get the minutes.

If Yuri can be the play making point guard that we think he can be early on, and he takes Jacobs' minutes, that's good for the team.  If Thatch can increase his scoring output while providing what we know is far superior defense to what Jacobs can provide, that's good for the team.  If Jimerson can shoot his way into minutes on the court at the expense of Jacobs' minutes, that's good for the team.  If Hargrove's high flying blocks start altering the other teams' shooting, and he adds some impressive dunks at the other end such that he gets minutes at the three instead of Jacobs, that's good for the team.

I certainly don't want Jacobs to fail.  I want him to succeed and be an option for Coach Ford.  However, I would prefer our other options to reach their potential more so than I am hoping that we will need to count on Jacobs for minutes.

38 minutes ago, willie said:

I said this earlier, we did not see enough of Jacobs to form an opinion of his play. Maybe there is good reason for that but until  he plays saying what he can or can't do is pure speculation. And if he doesn't play that tells you he isn't good enough for this level. 

Jacobs played 89 minutes last year in 19 games, for a 4.7 mpg average.  First, that is no where near enough to get a read on Mr. Jacobs.  Second, he was hurt a good portion of those games he did not play in, and we don't know if he was 100% for the games he did play in.

For me he is a Freshman+ coming into this season.  Give him some clock and let's see what develops.

Old guy, bauman and Cincybill like this

Jacobs had the same lofty accolades that the freshmen this year have. He was a 3 star recruit with power 5 offers. The reality is that most college freshmen need a year before they are ready to contribute at the next level. Expecting all of these freshmen to come in, play 20-30 minutes and put up numbers anywhere close to what they did in high school or AAU just isn't realistic. And when they don't it's not the end of the world. They are usually playing behind other guys that were just as good as them coming out of high school. This isn't exclusive to SLU. It's how college sports works. The players at this level are much stronger, longer, play faster and play smarter than anything any of them have seen before.

Jacobs has been on campus over a year, knows Ford's system, has spent a year with our strength and conditioning staff, and knows what he can and can't get away with at this level. The same can't be said for anyone else outside of the big 3 and Hankton. The summer in between freshman and sophomore year is usually when players make their biggest jump. He'll be fine. 

Clock_Tower likes this

2 hours ago, willie said:

My eye test says he has a good looking shot and release. 

2 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Agreed. He also looked more confident shooting later in the year even if his percentage wasn't materially better than earlier in the season. 

I read that a lot of college freshman have trouble shooting from distance because the backdrop is so different.

They are use to shooting in gyms where the wall is 5 feet behind the basket and then move to a arena where there is no wall.

It is a depth perception thing and can really throw off a shot.

I don’t remember where I read that or if it’s true but It makes sense.