GDT - Billiken Madness

Pistol

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guys looked good tonight.  They should be an exciting group to watch this year. Didn’t get to see much of the young big guys because it was an up and down, no defense dunk fest.  THJ, Jimmerson, and Yuri definitely look like the real deals.  But with so many young guys that will get significant minutes, the talent doesn’t always translate into wins.  Because if we’re measuring success by ncaa tournament appearances, and we don’t win that A10 tourney, we are going to have to win a lot of games to get an at-large bid.

27 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I think THJr got a piece of Jimerson's first 3pt attempt only because he was right next to GJ as his release his unreal quick

I thought rammer said Hargrove, but either way someone did. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

The guys looked good tonight.  They should be an exciting group to watch this year. Didn’t get to see much of the young big guys because it was an up and down, no defense dunk fest.  THJ, Jimmerson, and Yuri definitely look like the real deals.  But with so many young guys that will get significant minutes, the talent doesn’t always translate into wins.  Because if we’re measuring success by ncaa tournament appearances, and we don’t win that A10 tourney, we are going to have to win a lot of games to get an at-large bid.

First, I'm just grateful tonight that all 15 players were still on the roster for Madness, knock on wood.

I don't know that "so many young guys will get significant minutes," particularly later in the season. Yes, Ford says we'll press more and play faster...but they'll be forced to play slower, half court offense by better defenses.

That being said, Ford has more weapons in his arsenal for match ups. Lot of different skill sets on the floor tonight.

Cincybill likes this

Really the only things that we really can learn from this was that:

1) We are pretty good at shooting, dunking and passing when there is zero ounces of defense being played.

2) Ain't no way in hell TJ is 6'4

3) KC and Jacobs look noticeably bigger while French and Goodie look slimmer.

4) Our dancing is not NCAA tourney ready yet

We are going to go through some rocky shoals as we develop.

The good news...

Collins looked smooth on the ball. Goodwin fleeced him one, but Collins also nutmegged Goodwin.

Jimmmmerson can shoot. Great rotation on the ball, has the cold blooded shooter mentality where he doesn’t get stuck on shoot/don’t shoot.

Hargrove is a mini French. He better be, as he and Bell are French’s sub.

Neutral

Dang, Perkins needs time in the weight room.

Diarra ditto.

This was an all star exhibition. Goodwin’s side worked hard to feature Jacobs, early and often. 

The ladies went at it tooth and nail.

7 hours ago, gister said:

I don't remember him missing that many

jummerson was 5 for 7

thatch didnt play.  

jacobs by far the most pleasant unexpected performance.  

long way to go, but you can see the potential.

AGB91 likes this

58 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

We are going to go through some rocky shoals as we develop.

The good news...

Collins looked smooth on the ball. Goodwin fleeced him one, but Collins also nutmegged Goodwin.

Jimmmmerson can shoot. Great rotation on the ball, has the cold blooded shooter mentality where he doesn’t get stuck on shoot/don’t shoot.

Hargrove is a mini French. He better be, as he and Bell are French’s sub.

Neutral

Dang, Perkins needs time in the weight room.

Diarra ditto.

This was an all star exhibition. Goodwin’s side worked hard to feature Jacobs, early and often. 

The ladies went at it tooth and nail.

That was Perkins that picked Collins pocket and sailed in for the dunk.  He's a hard gainer that had to do quite a bit of eating/working out just to get to the 195 lbs he is now.  He might add another few pounds by the time he graduates but he's never going to be a big guy.

Hargrove is also 195 lb but he's younger and has a  stronger frame. I can easily see him getting to 215 in a couple of years.   

Hankton looks every bit of 215 lb.  We are going to need that body and that stroke this season.

Are there going to be occasional games where we have problems defending the 4?  Yes.  Are those teams going to have just as hard a time keeping up with Perkins and Hargrove?  Yep. 

Zink likes this

I agree 5 for 7 for Jimerson a mere 71%  (I know small sample size) but it looked like he could do it all day long.

Other teams will not be ablr to pack it in close like the have done before as He will bury it every time, Well 71% of the time at least.

8 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

First, I'm just grateful tonight that all 15 players were still on the roster for Madness, knock on wood.

I don't know that "so many young guys will get significant minutes," particularly later in the season. Yes, Ford says we'll press more and play faster...but they'll be forced to play slower, half court offense by better defenses.

That being said, Ford has more weapons in his arsenal for match ups. Lot of different skill sets on the floor tonight.

Much of their sped up play will be due to their defense. I hope we see a lot more pressing. We sure have the athleticism and bodies to do it. 

I remember when we all knew who the winner of the dunk contest would be as that would be the only guy that actually could dunk lol. 

32 minutes ago, drkelsey55 said:

I agree 5 for 7 for Jimerson a mere 71%  (I know small sample size) but it looked like he could do it all day long.

Other teams will not be ablr to pack it in close like the have done before as He will bury it every time, Well 71% of the time at least.

Even the threat of his shooting ability will open up so much space for our guards to penetrate and big men to operate without being double teamed.

Speaking of shooting, KC drilled a couple as well and looked good doing it.

drkelsey55 and Zink like this

35 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

probably mentioned somewhere in this thread, but it was really nice to see Tommie Liddell III back on campus. 

Yes, definitely a good sighting.  A year or so ago, in an interview, Liddell said he wanted to complete his SLU degree.  Anyone know of progress?

I don't think the dunkfest will translate very well to real games.  I've seen too many players with great dunk high light videos end up with very few in the regular season.  Its good to know they have hops. Last night tells us little about the half court offence we will end up playing a lot, other than we now have some shooters. Sadly the incessant replays ran over almost all of Jimmersons shots.  

We need to see how well these new guys defend, and score in half court.  

Right now it appears that Jimmerson will play about 45 minutes a game if he can play any kind of defence.

drkelsey55 likes this

27 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Someone mentioned it earlier, but I was impressed by Jimerson’s dunk in the contest. Kid is going to be a star for us when it’s all said and done. 

True, me too. And just to cover all players, Jacobs did enter in the dunk contest and dunked effectively.