Is the Hammer about to fall on KU?

brianstl

12 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Reportedly 2/3 of the students involved were not athletes.  So yes and no. It definitely was a UNC Academic ethics situation, but it did involve athletes.

But if I heard right, if it involves as little as just one student, it's not longer a student athlete aka NCAA problem. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, wgstl said:

But if I heard right, if it involves as little as just one student, it's not longer a student athlete aka NCAA problem. 

This is what I remember of the case. Essentially if a school sets up a cupcake course just for athletes, it is an NCAA violation. But the course in question allowed ANY student to enroll. The NCAA said it was not in the business of accrediting colleges or courses, or deciding what is or isn't college level work as long as a course is open to any student of the school.

37 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

This is what I remember of the case. Essentially if a school sets up a cupcake course just for athletes, it is an NCAA violation. But the course in question allowed ANY student to enroll. The NCAA said it was not in the business of accrediting colleges or courses, or deciding what is or isn't college level work as long as a course is open to any student of the school.

This is what I also remember, and what I recently reread.  This sham course work in the AFAM Department had been going on for 18 years.  The football program, where this issue originated, was put on probation for 3 years, given a bowl ban and lost 15 scholarships.  The University was put on probation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, which was a pretty big action.

On 9/21/2019 at 2:26 PM, dlarry said:

It’s KU, so no, they won’t get hammered.

They'll probably be banned from a preseason tournament, suspend Self for 2 games, and get a small fine.

Creighton might get the death penalty.

History has shown us that’s how the NCAA operates.

They will probably give KU football a 5 year bowl ban

4 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

So you read the above story and do not think any punishment at all is necessary for Kansas is that right ?   The story and it’s facts are incorrect? Because no criminal indictment yet, no violation by KU and Self?

Remember that was said in closing argument by the defense authority with ZERO evidence.  The FBI found everything and found no evidence of this.  I doubt the NCAA found something the FBI couldn't.

OK, Three Level I violations.  Big time.  Timing on penalties is uncertain.  Penalty phase can take 9 months to kick in, so Self and KU may be okay this season. KU has the right for a rebuttal and then NCAA a response, and the Infractions Committee has 3 to 6 months to discuss penalties, hence the time line.  Will Self jump ship and take over for his good friend Popovich in San Antonio?  Recruits changing their mind?  Kansas is picked by many to be in the Final Four in March.  Things just got interesting.

The discussion in the video is worth while, if you are interested.  https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/kansas-basketball-hit-with-major-ncaa-violation-charges-stemming-from-fbi-probe-per-report/

6 hours ago, TJHawk said:

The FBI found everything and found no evidence of this.  I doubt the NCAA found something the FBI couldn't.

How do you know what the FBI found or did not find?

Does the FBI have a link to the Kansas Jayhawk webs website ?

When does Kansas come up with a shortlist for its new coach?

21 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

How do you know what the FBI found or did not find?

Does the FBI have a link to the Kansas Jayhawk webs website ?

When does Kansas come up with a shortlist for its new coach?

Seriously, the trial was made public record.  This was big news.  

19 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Irrelevant. Answer the question.  How do you know what the FBI found or didn’t find?

When you asked me how I know what the FBI found or didn't, I replied the trial was public information.  Must be that great Columbia Community College degree you have.

38 minutes ago, TJHawk said:

When you asked me how I know what the FBI found or didn't, I replied the trial was public information.  Must be that great Columbia Community College degree you have.

If you can't revel in a blue blood getting whats coming to them you probably shouldn't be posting on this board.  Billikens fans are the have nots.  We have no sympathy for the Jayhawks.

8 hours ago, TJHawk said:

Remember that was said in closing argument by the defense authority with ZERO evidence.  The FBI found everything and found no evidence of this.  I doubt the NCAA found something the FBI couldn't.

54 minutes ago, TJHawk said:

Seriously, the trial was made public record.  This was big news.  

31 minutes ago, TJHawk said:

OK ass clown.  Been tired of your trolling on this Board for years. You are no Billiken fan -- just a KU troll who likes come on board and gloat if you land a recruit from St. Louis or tell us that KU is no longer interested in player ABC so maybe he will fall down into our lap.   Now a personal attack on me?   Columbia CC?   And all because you cannot back up what your big mouth blurts outs?  Now that's rich.

As to your above statements,

First, it is obvious that you lack an understanding of what evidence actually is.   No opposing attorney or Judge would allow an attorney to make statements to a jury if there were "ZERO evidence."  Evidence comes in many forms -- and is not limited to written, demonstrable, audio/video tape or indisputable evidence.   Instead, evidence can be a verbal statement from the client/Defendant themselves.   If the Defendant testified that Bill Self told him.... then that IS evidence.   Now, whether that evidence is sufficient to meet the burden of proof, whether it is more or less credible than contrary evidence, etc is another issue.  But to say ZERO evidence was presented at trial and yet his lawyer made arguments in closing based on ZERO evidence only indicates you don't have a clue what you are talking about.  Then, again, no surprise as most trolls don't know what they are talking about, 

Second, your next statement of "The FBI found everything and found no evidence of this."   is quite a sentence.   Not only must your former grammar teacher be proud but more importantly, the jurors in the trial considered the guilt and innocence of the charged defendant - who was convicted.   The FBI did not "found everything."  The FBI was not on trial.  Also, the jurors found him guilty - not the FBI.  And according to the NCAA's recent charges, your next statement "I doubt the NCAA found something the FBI couldn't" is again not only foolish -- but is wrong and shows your lack of understanding the legal process.

Third, your statement "the trial was made public record." again is quite a sentence.   And you personally attack me?   So portions of the trial were made public?  Yes, big news - but so what. Irrelevant.  

Fourth, as to your next statement that "the trial was public information" - so what?  If the read the transcripts from the trial which were made public, tell us what the FBI not only "found" but what the FBI did not find?  You have no clue.

Instead, your defense of KU can be summed up as follows:   KU is not guilty b/c no indictments yet and the NCAA cannot find something if the FBI cannot.   In response, just wait.   And the NCAA apparently believes they can prove these charges.  Again, we will see.

52 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

OK ass clown.  Been tired of your trolling on this Board for years. You are no Billiken fan -- just a KU troll who likes come on board and gloat if you land a recruit from St. Louis or tell us that KU is no longer interested in player ABC so maybe he will fall down into our lap.   Now a personal attack on me?   Columbia CC?   And all because you cannot back up what your big mouth blurts outs?  Now that's rich.

As to your above statements,

First, it is obvious that you lack an understanding of what evidence actually is.   No opposing attorney or Judge would allow an attorney to make statements to a jury if there were "ZERO evidence."  Evidence comes in many forms -- and is not limited to written, demonstrable, audio/video tape or indisputable evidence.   Instead, evidence can be a verbal statement from the client/Defendant themselves.   If the Defendant testified that Bill Self told him.... then that IS evidence.   Now, whether that evidence is sufficient to meet the burden of proof, whether it is more or less credible than contrary evidence, etc is another issue.  But to say ZERO evidence was presented at trial and yet his lawyer made arguments in closing based on ZERO evidence only indicates you don't have a clue what you are talking about.  Then, again, no surprise as most trolls don't know what they are talking about, 

Second, your next statement of "The FBI found everything and found no evidence of this."   is quite a sentence.   Not only must your former grammar teacher be proud but more importantly, the jurors in the trial considered the guilt and innocence of the charged defendant - who was convicted.   The FBI did not "found everything."  The FBI was not on trial.  Also, the jurors found him guilty - not the FBI.  And according to the NCAA's recent charges, your next statement "I doubt the NCAA found something the FBI couldn't" is again not only foolish -- but is wrong and shows your lack of understanding the legal process.

Third, your statement "the trial was made public record." again is quite a sentence.   And you personally attack me?   So portions of the trial were made public?  Yes, big news - but so what. Irrelevant.  

Fourth, as to your next statement that "the trial was public information" - so what?  If the read the transcripts from the trial which were made public, tell us what the FBI not only "found" but what the FBI did not find?  You have no clue.

Instead, your defense of KU can be summed up as follows:   KU is not guilty b/c no indictments yet and the NCAA cannot find something if the FBI cannot.   In response, just wait.   And the NCAA apparently believes they can prove these charges.  Again, we will see.

Clock Tower, you couldn’t be further from the truth. I attended many Billiken games with TJHawk last season and the last few years. He actually agrees to attend a game with my 5 year old daughter who is certainly no picnic to deal with to make sure she is Billiken Blue all the way through. 

I can testify that he has been a special guest of the University for his contributions to the school and its programs to give back to the City of St Louis. He in fact was a major factor in closing a major financial contribution recently. Yes, he is a KU alum but he is also a major contributor to SLU. What do you contribute other than berating people on a message board? Kind of makes you look like an A$$HAT, doesn’t it?

the first person i thought of yesterday was our resident jayhawk  azz  tjhawk.   tjhawk is the main reason i hate kansas and i am taking great pleasure in this about to happen sanctions and firings of self.   couldnt happen to a better fan.   ha

TheChosenOne likes this

Bottom line per ESPN today, NCAA handed down level 1 violations to KU. KU said they will fight this vigorously, obviously. 

I really haven't been reading up on this like TJHawk and Clock, but the fact they have evidence Self was directly involved in these matters seems to me that KU's gonna have to take some kind of action against him. Apparently, per ESPN, if KU loses in their response, Self could be suspended for a year by the NCAA. Not sure what penalties would be imposed on the program. 

7 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

Clock Tower, you couldn’t be further from the truth. I attended many Billiken games with TJHawk last season and the last few years. He actually agrees to attend a game with my 5 year old daughter who is certainly no picnic to deal with to make sure she is Billiken Blue all the way through. 

I can testify that he has been a special guest of the University for his contributions to the school and its programs to give back to the City of St Louis. He in fact was a major factor in closing a major financial contribution recently. Yes, he is a KU alum but he is also a major contributor to SLU. What do you contribute other than berating people on a message board? Kind of makes you look like an A$$HAT, doesn’t it?

No. Not at all. Very simple concept. Whether you went to school at SLU or not, this board he is an open board for Billiken fans. If TJHawk is, in fact, the Billiken fan you suggest, then again very simple. Have your friend post something  positive about the Billikens and not only about his alma mater.  For me, I have more than one alma mater and yet I do not post about the others -  especially constantly.  And have whatever Internet name you want but just be careful and be warned when you use names of other programs. Like Roy, I was somewhat neutral as to Jayhawk fans (actually somewhat supportive in that the enemy of your enemy (Mizzou) is often your friend) until TJhawk came around, and around and around.

In the meantime, go back and re-read the posts and see who took the first personal attack. Be reminded also which basketball program is being discussed on this Billiken forum. Also see who has no knowledge about the legal system and the role of the FBI but does not let that get in the way of his partisan views about his program - which IS being charged by the NCAA despite his saying the FBI found nothing and now the NCAA won’t find anything either. Sounds like they found 20,000 and then 90,000 reasons to me. 

TheChosenOne likes this

8 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

Your friend is also a snob I have an associates degree I worked my way into an electrical engineering position now for 31 years and have been reasonably successful with my community college degree.

I look up to all with higher degrees unless your a snob that looks down on community college degrees.  Why would anyone of decent character make such mean and nasty statement like that?

@TJHawk has never bothered me with his posts except for the shot he took at clock so he wears the hat too.

Billiken are a mixed bunch of good fans of many different levels of education that also like other basketball teams and I welcome all types to fill Chaifetz.

Franchise, I believe everything you said about your friend I just take exception of one statement.

9 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

This post reads better envisioning it coming from a drunk frat guy yelling at a bouncer for throwing him out of a bar, do you know who my dad is?!?!

Your friend posts consistently about Kansas basketball on a SLU message board, kick rocks.

it rubs me wrong when he talks down to the billikens.   we could never be kansas.   our players arent worthy of their intramural program.   you name it.   look up smug in the dictionary and hawk is there.  

AGB91 and TheChosenOne like this