brianstl

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, brianstl said:

https://es.pn/2VglY4h

My guess is they get off pretty easily.  Out of the teams mentioned in the article, Creighton will get hit the hardest.  That is the price you pay for not being a blue blood.

If what is in the article you posted is true it will be hard to let him off easy but after the NC debacle I guess anything is possible.

Sounds pretty damming for Self. He could suffer, but will KU get hit is anyone's guess. 

I could see the NCAA coming down on UL and Auburn too. Can't imagine they're particularly fond of Pearl, an UL was coached by Pitino at the time. Both these guys are on their wall of shame. 

Agreed, though, that after UNC got off scott free, it's hard to tell what these jokers will do to anyone. 

15 minutes ago, dlarry said:

It’s KU, so no, they won’t get hammered.

They'll probably be banned from a preseason tournament, suspend Self for 2 games, and get a small fine.

Creighton might get the death penalty.

History has shown us that’s how the NCAA operates.

My first reaction was that it really sucks to be Creighton. The punishments the other programs should get will be combined and all placed on Creighton.

The NCAA will soon face liability in real courtrooms, if it has not done enough already, if it does not punish KU,, AZ, LSU etc.  These are not rumors, hard to prove fact patterns, one word vs another word cases.  If you don't enforce or equally enforce, you lose your power to enforce. Unequal enforcement, or lack of enforcement as to some (schools A,B, C), and then they hammer others (schools X,Y Z) is not good if school X,Y or Z challenges in real court. 

almaman likes this

3 hours ago, willie said:

I am going to take the other side of this trade. The NCAA took a lot of heat for Carolina. I thought they hit Pitino and Louisville very hard for stripgate. They can’t be seen as soft. 

Louisville paid the price of not being a blueblood. Duke, Kentucky, UNC and KU are in a category by themselves. Their brands are the equivalent of big Wall Street banks -- too big to fail.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Louisville paid the price of not being a blueblood. Duke, Kentucky, UNC and KU are in a category by themselves. Their brands are the equivalent of big Wall Street banks -- too big to fail.

I think Louisville is a basketball blue blood. As I said, I’ ll Take the opposite side . We will see. 

10 hours ago, willie said:

I think Louisville is a basketball blue blood. As I said, I’ ll Take the opposite side . We will see. 

I'm with you Willie.  The UNC case was long term, widespread academic fraud (which deserved harsher punishment), not a centered athletic department issue like the current pay for play.  UNC was wrong, KU was wrong, but two different issues.  I agree KU will pay a steeper penalty. 

Academic fraud for athletes only. UNC should have been hammered. This new scandal is illegal and being dealt with in criminal courts. Most of the penalties are being handed out to individuals. I guess the NCAA could cite poor compliance on the part of the schools and hand out punishment. But as someone said is KU to big to punish? If they get off, I don't know how the NCAA can justify punishing the rest of the miscreants. 

42 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Academic fraud for athletes only. UNC should have been hammered. This new scandal is illegal and being dealt with in criminal courts. Most of the penalties are being handed out to individuals. I guess the NCAA could cite poor compliance on the part of the schools and hand out punishment. But as someone said is KU to big to punish? If they get off, I don't know how the NCAA can justify punishing the rest of the miscreants. 

If saving yourself is all about being connected in some way with a blue blood program works, then I would make sure I was tied to one all the time I planned to do something wrong.  

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Just adding more context here, the UNC situation was more about issues in a specific university department, the African and Afro-American Studies program, rather than a problem centered in the athletic department.  Only about a third of the students involved with the AFAM issues were athletes.  There was no preference shown for athletes over any other students.  I think the athletic investigation started with the football program, which is far from blue blood.  Was it right, heck no.  The did UNC athletic department get off light, heck yes. But there is a significant difference, in my opinion between, the UNC situation the alleged current Pay to Play with KU.

cgeldmacher and willie like this

15 hours ago, Old guy said:

This is true Clock. Do you have any indication or knowledge that schools that were dealt with harshly NCAA are about to go to court, or is this a general  informational report of what may be doable?

No inside information. Just thinking what would be the most guilty or damning thing would be as to my head coach and program:   Cannot think of anything worse than video tape from a federal sting of my coach/assistants making arrangements with my athletic sponsor to pay families to send their sons to my school and then having representatives of my athletic sponsor testify about this in open Court while showing the paper trail.

The good news is that if the NCAA doesn’t crack down to punish and deter paying families/players, then we wont have to take such precautions to hide the bags of cash from Dr C😄

14 hours ago, willie said:

I don't think of Louisville as a blue blood but the NCAA would.  Their merchandising and licensing revenue is top 5 in the country.  All that matters is the money they bring in.

19 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You guys remember when Mizzou was fairly punished and impartial St. Louis media joined the fight against the punishment? 

I’m not sure what what you’re post means. I hate all things Mizzou. I pull for their Chess team to lose but I think they were unfairly punished. Mississippi State did essentially the same thing and got a slap on the wrist. While I will shed them no tears they are getting screwed if their appeal is not successful. 

10 hours ago, TJHawk said:

Unless the NCAA found something the FBI didn't, then nothing will happen.  

So you read the above story and do not think any punishment at all is necessary for Kansas is that right ?   The story and it’s facts are incorrect? Because no criminal indictment yet, no violation by KU and Self?

Every situation is slightly different but one thing remains the same: the NCAA selectively enforces the rules. If 1) Zion Williamson and his family had moved into a 800K home in St. Louis to play at SLU and 2) there were texts of Nike officials bidding on Zion's services, we would be on probation right now. But since the location is Durham and the school is Duke, no further investigation is necessary.

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

NCAA couldn't do much to UNC because this was a student ethics situation and not a student athlete, correct?

Reportedly 2/3 of the students involved were not athletes.  So yes and no. It definitely was a UNC Academic ethics situation, but it did involve athletes.