Perkins Article in PD

HoosierPal

Posting up guards is what Majerous loved to do. But for that to work well, you need stretch bigs, or the driving guard runs into a big defender.  For Yuri and Goodwin to be on the floor at the same time, at least one of them needs to be an outside threat, or we will see packed in zones again this year.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Goodwin is a serviceable pg. He is above average in ball handling, and is a bulldog physically, so in some games he can use his physical strength to dominate lesser guards, hence most of his triple doubles. His incandescent talents are rebounding and scoring on put backs and in the paint.

The catch to Goodwin at pg is we have an incandescent pg talent in Collins. He is a true pg, all passing, ball handling, and creating plays out of nothing in the half court set, while also being outstanding on the break, and at finishing. He can play the beautiful game and is tough as nails, ala Kwamain and  .

Ford needs to figure out how to balance these two at pg/off guard to maximize Collins development. 

unlike Isabell last year, Collins is going to pop as a very good college pg, even a great one if he gets an outside shot. He has the skills to make plays inside the 3 pt line that Goodwin has not flashed on a regular basis. He took a well coached St Mary’s team down to the wire vs Vashon his Jr year, and then took a very young team to a state title while healing from shoulder surgery his senior year.

I expect Ford is eager to put the three man weave to bed this year, and start playing a much more vertical game come November.

I wouldn't bet the ranch on losing the 3 man weave. An awful lot of teams start their offense that way. 

27 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

Posting up guards is what Majerous loved to do. But for that to work well, you need stretch bigs, or the driving guard runs into a big defender.  For Yuri and Goodwin to be on the floor at the same time, at least one of them needs to be an outside threat, or we will see packed in zones again this year.

But you have a stretch 4 (jury still out on this?) with Perkins who can space the floor. So, if Goodwin does make his way into the post to go one on one at any given time, I like a rotation that includes Yuri, Perkins, plus Thatch/Weaver/Hankton/Jimerson etc. Put French in the short corner on offensive rebound duties and Goodwin could clean up 3-4 easy buckets a game on this. It's obviously not that simple but I don't think Goodwin being in a post up situation will automatically cause the defense to pack it in like last year. If they do, I like our odds from the perimeter more so this year than years previous, or at least last year.

1 hour ago, The House That Rick Built said:

But you have a stretch 4 (jury still out on this?) with Perkins who can space the floor. So, if Goodwin does make his way into the post to go one on one at any given time, I like a rotation that includes Yuri, Perkins, plus Thatch/Weaver/Hankton/Jimerson etc. Put French in the short corner on offensive rebound duties and Goodwin could clean up 3-4 easy buckets a game on this. It's obviously not that simple but I don't think Goodwin being in a post up situation will automatically cause the defense to pack it in like last year. If they do, I like our odds from the perimeter more so this year than years previous, or at least last year.

Perkins ain’t a stretch 4

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Perkins ain’t a stretch 4

I know his height changes on a regular basis which is why I said jury still out. But someone who has a height ranging anywhere between 6-5/6-7 who can shoot sounds a whole lot like a stretch 4 to me. 

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=211781596

link for the 6’7 listing

031137F2-8DE1-4687-8E92-3CB5F2A754F0.jpeg

2 hours ago, Aquinas said:

Or you play Goodwin at the 3 when Yuri is on the floor and Jimerson at the 2. Or Perkins as a small ball 4. Or both. It's not like the A10 is filled with dominant power forwards. The few we have spend most of their time at the 5.

39 minutes ago, The House That Rick Built said:

I know his height changes on a regular basis which is why I said jury still out. But someone who has a height ranging anywhere between 6-5/6-7 who can shoot sounds a whole lot like a stretch 4 to me. 

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=211781596

link for the 6’7 listing

031137F2-8DE1-4687-8E92-3CB5F2A754F0.jpeg

He’s a guard/forward. Shooting guard (2) small forward (3)

Lets not get wrapped up in "positions."  They don't really exist anymore.  Perkins isn't a 4 but he will guard them.  The A10 really doesn't have any 4s.  We also are blessed that we have 3 smaller guys, Perkins, Goodwin, and Thatch who can all guard bigger players on defense but play the perimeter on offense.

35 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Lets not get wrapped up in "positions."  They don't really exist anymore.  Perkins isn't a 4 but he will guard them.  The A10 really doesn't have any 4s.  We also are blessed that we have 3 smaller guys, Perkins, Goodwin, and Thatch who can all guard bigger players on defense but play the perimeter on offense.

Playing bigger players on defense isn't a strength of Perkins.  He's not a physical defender 

10 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Playing bigger players on defense isn't a strength of Perkins.  He's not a physical defender 

Who are these bigger, physical 4 men in the A10 that there's a need to be concerned about?  In the A10 the big physical guy plays the 5, the tall perimeter player plays the 4 with maybe a couple of exceptions.  

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Who are these bigger, physical 4 men in the A10 that there's a need to be concerned about?  In the A10 the big physical guy plays the 5, the tall perimeter player plays the 4 with maybe a couple of exceptions.  

I was responding to another poster who suggested that Perkins could guard bigger players on defense.  Defense is something he needs to work on if they're taller,  shorter or same size.  If playing the 4 is what it takes for him to get minutes he will try his hardest.  I am sure of that.

SLU_Lax likes this

10 hours ago, Coach314 said:

I was responding to another poster who suggested that Perkins could guard bigger players on defense.  Defense is something he needs to work on if they're taller,  shorter or same size.  If playing the 4 is what it takes for him to get minutes he will try his hardest.  I am sure of that.

We have at least 30 min a game available at the 4.  Some combination of Perkins, Hargrove and Hankton will need to fill them.

SLU_Lax likes this

Forgive me if it's been mentioned, but to me the real question is whether the team can survive defensively with Perkins and Jimerson on the floor at the same time. The consensus seems to be that they can both only guard the 3, unless the other team has a 2 that's bigger and slower. The rest of the guys guaranteed minutes (French, Goodwin, Thatch, Hargrove) are more versatile defensively. Along the same lines, I don't think Weaver or Collins can guard the 2, and so they'll not see the floor at the same time a whole lot. 

The Ford years have mostly seen a "clogged toilet" approach on offense. Maybe that changes with better shooting and playmaking this year. 

26 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Forgive me if it's been mentioned, but to me the real question is whether the team can survive defensively with Perkins and Jimerson on the floor at the same time. The consensus seems to be that they can both only guard the 3, unless the other team has a 2 that's bigger and slower. The rest of the guys guaranteed minutes (French, Goodwin, Thatch, Hargrove) are more versatile defensively. Along the same lines, I don't think Weaver or Collins can guard the 2, and so they'll not see the floor at the same time a whole lot. 

The Ford years have mostly seen a "clogged toilet" approach on offense. Maybe that changes with better shooting and playmaking this year. 

while i dont think perkins will challenge usain bolt for any race in the near future, i dont think he is slow by any means and would be able to guard most shooting guards in the A10

AGB91 likes this

I would also think that Weaver can definitely guard the 2. He is very fast and very experienced. I do not share your concern on guarding the 2 unless it’s Ron Baker or another tall guard. 

Collins is a freshman, so by definition I am worried about his defense and assume it needs improvement. I was the same with Thatch until he could display his ability to play D1 defense during games (I just don’t want people to think I’m throwing rocks at the Yuri train). 

Cincybill likes this

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The only poor defensive teams we've had in the past 25 years were the teams Crews recruited. I'm not worried about the defense.

man crews was a disaster

43 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

I would also think that Weaver can definitely guard the 2. He is very fast and very experienced. I do not share your concern on guarding the 2 unless it’s Ron Baker or another tall guard. 

Collins is a freshman, so by definition I am worried about his defense and assume it needs improvement. I was the same with Thatch until he could display his ability to play D1 defense during games (I just don’t want people to think I’m throwing rocks at the Yuri train). 

It will be interesting to see how Ford defends some of the higher level A10 teams with two rotation players 6'0" or shorter.  Take Davidson: Jon Axel is 6'5", Frampton is 6'5", Grady is 6'5", and Pritchett is 6'6".  VCU will throw 8 to 10 guys on the floor, all 6'2" (Evans) or taller and most will be 6'4" or taller.  Ya gotta guard someone if you are on the floor as a Billiken.

19 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

man crews was a disaster

I was thinking just the other day about how Crews got credit for taking us to two NCAA tourneys. Now, we all know/suspect this was just because Rick's guys were so well coached and trained, those teams did it on their own. Got me to thinking, those two years would make for a great book about these kids basically coaching themselves into two tournaments. It could be titled Rick's Boys. 

56 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

It will be interesting to see how Ford defends some of the higher level A10 teams with two rotation players 6'0" or shorter.  Take Davidson: Jon Axel is 6'5", Frampton is 6'5", Grady is 6'5", and Pritchett is 6'6".  VCU will throw 8 to 10 guys on the floor, all 6'2" (Evans) or taller and most will be 6'4" or taller.  Ya gotta guard someone if you are on the floor as a Billiken.

Davidson struggled last year against quick, strong guards. They had low-scoring losses against UMass, LaSalle and St. Joe's. All three of those teams had point guards 6'0 or shorter.

58 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I don't too hung up on the size of guards. I'm more interested in if they are quick and skilled. Playing Mitchell and McCall at the same time wasn't a problem. Guards like Chaz Williams and other short guards have had plenty of success in the A-10.

2 hours ago, ACE said:

I don't too hung up on the size of guards. I'm more interested in if they are quick and skilled. Playing Mitchell and McCall at the same time wasn't a problem. Guards like Chaz Williams and other short guards have had plenty of success in the A-10.

I think KenPom or some other statistician did a study on height and found out that it is much more important for forwards / centers to be tall than it is for guards.  Basically the further away from the basket you play, the less height matters.  I'm not really worried about the height or our guards so much on defense.   I'm more worried about being able to defend inside especially if French gets in foul trouble. 

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I think KenPom or some other statistician did a study on height and found out that it is much more important for forwards / centers to be tall than it is for guards.  Basically the further away from the basket you play, the less height matters.  I'm not really worried about the height or our guards so much on defense.   I'm more worried about being able to defend inside especially if French gets in foul trouble. 

Yep, I just needed the eye test to come to that conclusion. I used to enjoy KM and MM running circles around taller guards.

3 hours ago, ACE said:

Agreed. The height of guards is basically irrelevant. Staying in front of your man and playing sound smart positional D is much more important.