Pistol Summary, 2019 - 2020 Season

HoosierPal

4 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

One of the big reasons that Lisch set the record was because he got to play.  Coach Brad was about to get fired if he did not improve from the bad year of 9 wins or something like that so he was forced to play both Lisch and Tommie L.  Tommie started right away but Kevin had to wait a few games.  So the question is will Jimmerson get the time on the court that Lisch got?

With coach already setting a goal for Thatch to score double figures, Goodwin guaranteed to play 30+ minutes and two sub 6 foot guards who can only play 1/2, there isn't going to be 20 minutes available never mind the 30 that Kevin got.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

We all hope that Gibson Jierson is the answer for our three point shooting woes.  However, the Billikens have had a total of one (1) freshman make 2.0 or more three pointers in his initial season.  Kevin Lisch hit 58 in 29 games, for an even 2.0 threes made per game.  Virgil Cobbin converted 57 in 30 games for a 1.90 conversion rate per game, and Scott Highmark made 52 in 28 games, 1.86.

For me, 2 successes for Gibson Jierson is likely a stretch. 

Clagg's overall season mark is 3.3 made per game, in 94/95 his final season, when he connected on 103 in 31 games. 

Your facts illustrate the production we hope we can get from Jimerson from 3 if he is as good as Lisch then coach Ford found a great player.  I think Jimerson will score in other ways such as the free throw line and jump shots inside the 3 point line.  I hope Jimerson is deadly at the line closing games out.

I wonder how many  3's the best freshman in the NCAA get per game?

Just as important as improving 3 point shooting is finishing at the hoop at a much higher rate and hitting at a high rate uncontested intermediate jump shots.

14 minutes ago, almaman said:

Wow.  Davis ended up with 132 made in 30 games (4.4 made per game!) and hit at a 38% rate.  He took 347 three's, which is okay when you are the coach's son, and hitting 38%.

23 hours ago, Band Legend said:

Why can't  JG score more from offensive rebounds? Is he capped at a certain number per game? Upperclassmen have a tendency  to become more physically dominant,  and make a lot of the chippies they missed as freshman and sophomores.   I'm looking for gigantic things from  Goodwin and French their last two years.

I just think he's already maxing the points from that part of his game.  Points off of offensive rebounds aren't unlimited.  He's perfected that part of his game.  If he wants to score more, he needs to work on other aspects, such as, first and foremost, shooting, and then also driving and finishing at the rim.

22 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i wouldnt want goodwin shooting more 3's.  do you want him 25 feet from the basket and depending on others to rebound like he does?   if he makes a couple of 3's a game (he averaged 1  three per game last year) and another put back or two and hits 65% of his free throws (that's only 1 more made free throw a game over last year), you are looking at increasing his ppg to 15.   

I was referring more to his midrange game.  Although, an extra three per game (up to 2) would certainly help.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I just think he's already maxing the points from that part of his game.  Points off of offensive rebounds aren't unlimited.  He's perfected that part of his game.  If he wants to score more, he needs to work on other aspects, such as, first and foremost, shooting, and then also driving and finishing at the rim.

Part of Ford’s playbook was for the ‘bigs’ to occupy their opposite so that Goodwin would have a clearer path to the rim. He has the size and determination to battle inside and when he didn’t have to contend with a much taller opponent, he was very successful. This was particularly true on FT where two seasons ago he had Roby Run back on defense while Goodwin hit the boards. Same last season with Isabell the designated defender. 

Its worked before and no reason to think Ford will change this season. 

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I was referring more to his midrange game.  Although, an extra three per game (up to 2) would certainly help.

most of the mbm experts here are saying about 11 ppg for goodwin this coming season (he averaged 10.5 last year).   so give him another 3, another free throw and another putback and your got him at 17 ppg.    i only predict he will be a 15 ppg scorer my point is we are talking small differences.

also for those of you still enamored with hankton, you do know he only shot 3's at a 28% clip?  goodwin was at 26%.   yet somehow hankton is being looked at as some sort of sniper and one mbm doesnt want goodwin to ever shoot a three again.   this is a very frustrating debate imo.  

AGB91 and SLUMedBilliken15 like this

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

also for those of you still enamored with hankton, you do know he only shot 3's at a 28% clip?  goodwin was at 26%.   yet somehow hankton is being looked at as some sort of sniper and one mbm doesnt want goodwin to ever shoot a three again.   this is a very frustrating debate imo.  

MBMs are all about potential.  Not saying this is correct one way or the other, but Hankton only took 25 total 3s last year, so his % can be dismissed as a small sample for a freshman and you can still dream on his future ability.  It is harder to do that with Goodwin who has now taken 176 total 3s in his Billiken career and made just 25%.

Cincybill and 3star_recruit like this

29 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Roy, don’t try to win every single poster to your point of view. It is impossible.

My hope is Goodwin turns the corner, and starts hitting FTs at an 80% rate again.

W/O doing the math him hitting FT's at 80% would likely get him to 13ppg. Yurimania feeding him when he posts up a small guard ought to get him a couple of extra buckets. At that point any 3s he gets are manana from Heaven. 

I really don't get his poor 3 pt avg. quick release, good form, but they don't drop for him. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

KC has better form. Most of his attempts look good. He was a freshman with injuries. If he’s open, I want KC stroking the 3 ball. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

most of the mbm experts here are saying about 11 ppg for goodwin this coming season (he averaged 10.5 last year).   so give him another 3, another free throw and another putback and your got him at 17 ppg.    i only predict he will be a 15 ppg scorer my point is we are talking small differences.

Hankton had a reputation as a shooter coming in. He's being given the benefit of the doubt because his sample size is so small. Anybody can have a stretch where they shoot 7 for 25. That doesn't prove anything.

If Hankton doesn't turn out to be the shooter he was in high school, so be it. We at least have to find out what we have. But Goodwin has 176 career three point attempts. His record is pretty clear on this point. It's also pretty clear that he's more comfortable closer to the basket. Cool. Hopefully more opportunities are created for him to operate there.

as a senior in high school hankton shot 31% from the three point line.  and 58% free throws.  better than goodwin last year, but not exactly jimmmerson territory and i wouldnt classify him as a shooter.  

moytoy, we will have to agree to disagree, i dont particularly see hankton having a better form.   just more willing to let it fly.   

Hey guys, Jimerson may look at this and board find out we are spelling his name with multiple Ms, which may be considered cute to us. He may feel, with justification, that we are disrespecting his name. You know kids read this board,. It is probably a very good idea not to make him think we are constantly disrespecting him. Just saying.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

In the 5 games where KC played 10 min or more he was 5/12 from 3 with 14 boards in 65 min. I don't know what to expect from KC however I wouldn't just relegate him to mop up duty just yet. He had a few pretty nice games last year in the few he played any real minutes. He really works hard hand brings a lot of energy to the court

I agree with you that Goodwin will score closer to 15 ppg if he plays 30 mpg and I can't imagine he won't. 

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Hey guys, Jimerson may look at this and board find out we are spelling his name with multiple Ms, which may be considered cute to us. He may feel, with justification, that we are disrespecting his name. You know kids read this board,. It is probably a very good idea not to make him think we are constantly disrespecting him. Just saying.

OTOH, I look forward to typing this about three times a game: "MMM for three, bang he got it!"

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

You know the old saying - "I don't care what you call me as long as you call me for dinner"

34 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

You know the old saying - "I don't care what you call me as long as you call me for dinner"

maybe you are dumbing it down for Old guy but it is https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/call-me-anything-you-want-just-don’t-call-me-late-to-dinner.3150274/.

The late part is the whole point of the saying.