Pistol Summary, 2019 - 2020 Season

HoosierPal

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

however with goodwin we are talking about the best offensive rebounder i have ever seen.   his put backs alone will give him a head start to that 15 ppg.   i also expect an improvement in his shooting percentages.  (if you look he did improve his sophomore year over his freshman year.   and obviously there is a lot of room for more improvement).  

while i admit i am goodwin biased, there seems to be a lot of hope that goodwin fails so collins gets his chance.   i have been watching jordan goodwin since 8th grade.   this kid will rise to the occasion and will be THE billiken go to guy

His shooting is the key.  He's not going to get more baskets from offensive rebounds.  If anything, it may go down due to teams being prepared for it.  He's going to have to make a big leap in his shooting.  That will depend on how much work he has put in since last season.  If he shows up this year prepared to shoot like Bess did last year, we might score more points per game.  If not, we probably won't since there is so much needed to make up for what we lost.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Collin and Pistol for your thoughts and opinions of the players for the upcoming season.

I still believe for our team to be successful Hankton and Jacobs will have to contribute more than what Collin predicts.  Both players had incomplete seasons last season because of injury, however both have experience and understand what it takes to get playing time and what it takes to win an  A10 tournament.

I am sure both of these young men did not transfer because they feel they belong and will play.  I am wonder how both of these players look physically with a year of college conditioning.

My no doubt newcomer contributers are Perkins, Weaver, Hargrove, Jimerson, Collins.

Starters French, Perkins, Hankton, Goodwin, Weaver.  If there up against a dominate big then Bell in for Hankton for the first substitution.

Perkins in the mix for A10 newcomer of the year and Hargrove in the mix for A10 freshman of the year.

Goodwin and French A10 first team.

We all tend to overlook both Jacobs and Hankton. Probably because neither of them really contributed much last year.

Jacobs especially looked lost with lazy passes and not much of a shot. Hankton pleasantly surprised us with some good minutes but then would disappear. Both had injuries that didn't help their cause. 

They're both kind of FR+1/5. Jacobs has the rep of being a quick get to the rim guard and a guy who can beat u down the floor.  Not much was known about Hankton as he came in as a replacement for that effer Pearson. Both go in the waits and see category. Which the same can be said about our 5 FR. (Except for Yurimania) 😎

Why can't  JG score more from offensive rebounds? Is he capped at a certain number per game? Upperclassmen have a tendency  to become more physically dominant,  and make a lot of the chippies they missed as freshman and sophomores.   I'm looking for gigantic things from  Goodwin and French their last two years.

3 minutes ago, almaman said:

Reading Roy's comments seems to be mocking spelling name instead of initials with 3 m's in his name. If we have a MBM section, and JM does turn into force to be reckoned with we could start posting M s for every 3 he hits like the Ks for strikeouts in MLB.

I like it!!! 

“Gibson for three, MMM he got it!!!

54 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

His shooting is the key.  He's not going to get more baskets from offensive rebounds.  If anything, it may go down due to teams being prepared for it.  He's going to have to make a big leap in his shooting.  That will depend on how much work he has put in since last season.  If he shows up this year prepared to shoot like Bess did last year, we might score more points per game.  If not, we probably won't since there is so much needed to make up for what we lost.

i wouldnt want goodwin shooting more 3's.  do you want him 25 feet from the basket and depending on others to rebound like he does?   if he makes a couple of 3's a game (he averaged 1  three per game last year) and another put back or two and hits 65% of his free throws (that's only 1 more made free throw a game over last year), you are looking at increasing his ppg to 15.   

Zink likes this

1 hour ago, Major Majerus said:

Basketball math favors the 3 - I hope Ford gives the green light to the shooters & hope Goodwin never takes one - he earns his keep with other skills.  This could be a really fun year.

The college 3 point line moves back just about 17 inches.  That is not insignificant and in my estimation.  It will move the 3 point shot out of range for some, and lower the percentage for many others.  I see a move to more mid, and inside game, and fast breaks for many teams.  SLU has the roster to benefit from this.

Defense coming out further out helps slashers and quick to the basket guards.   And may create longer rebounds and more fast breaks.  SLU has the guards and small forwards who can benefits from this.

cgeldmacher and dlarry like this

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

The college 3 point line moves back just about 17 inches.  That is not insignificant and in my estimation.  It will move the 3 point shot out of range for some, and lower the percentage for many others.  I see a move to more mid, and inside game, and fast breaks for many teams.  SLU has the roster to benefit from this.

Defense coming out further out helps slashers and quick to the basket guards.   And may create longer rebounds and more fast breaks.  SLU has the guards and small forwards who can benefits from this.

This will be true for a couple of years. Players will adjust, ranges will get better . Eventually it will go back to the math. Three is better than two. 

9 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

however with goodwin we are talking about the best offensive rebounder i have ever seen.   his put backs alone will give him a head start to that 15 ppg.   i also expect an improvement in his shooting percentages.  (if you look he did improve his sophomore year over his freshman year.   and obviously there is a lot of room for more improvement).  

while i admit i am goodwin biased, there seems to be a lot of hope that goodwin fails so collins gets his chance.   i have been watching jordan goodwin since 8th grade.   this kid will rise to the occasion and will be THE billiken go to guy

This question is directed at Roy b/c he has known/seen Jordan for so long but I am also interested in the thoughts of everyone else.   Jordan, of course, is 1 of our 2 best and most experienced players.   Only French has logged more minutes - because Jordan did not play the last part of his Freshman season.   I feel I know what French can do and what is best skills are and role on our team.   But not with Jordan.  

Jordan was signed to play along with Bishop and Graves (with Roby, Johnson and Hines also in the mix).  Instead, Jordan became our primary/starting PG from the start.   Then, it was assumed that Graves, Bishop and Henriquez would be back along with Santos so no new guards were signed in the Fall.  Then, in the Spring, we found out no - they weren't coming back -- and went after Isabell, Wiley and Ingvi -- and again Jordan was our primary/starting PG.  

Since Jordan has been with us, our offense had not run that well these past 2 years.  Some say b/c Coach Ford cannot coach.  Others because we had no outside shooting.  Others b/c our guys were one dimensional -- similar strengths but also similar weaknesses.  Others b/c our general talent level wasn't that high.  But others b/c Jordan is talented but not a playmaking PG.

But what position is Jordan best suited for success in college?  not what would be best for his professional career? or what our team needed/needs from him? In an ideal world, what role should Jordan have played these past 2 years and what role should he play the next 2?

6 hours ago, wgstl said:

I may be the only one, but im starting to think Weaver moves down the bench.

I wonder what Weaver's role will end up being. I thought Dion Wiley immediately, a bench player who can have some above average scoring games sporadically off the bench.

5 hours ago, Band Legend said:

Why can't  JG score more from offensive rebounds? Is he capped at a certain number per game? Upperclassmen have a tendency  to become more physically dominant,  and make a lot of the chippies they missed as freshman and sophomores.   I'm looking for gigantic things from  Goodwin and French their last two years.

His role on the team. I would say if he continues to be the primary ball handler running the offense, his rebound numbers certainly are capped in averages. Talked about it in the preview article, but if he gets to a 2 guard role he has a good chance at increasing his rebound production because he can focus on it.

Weaver will start because of his defense. I think Jimmmmmerson is the only player on our roster who can hit 3s at a decent clip, especially with the extended arc. If Jimmmmmerson doesn't get 20 minutes a game by the end of the season I'll be shocked.

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Weaver will start because of his defense. I think Jimmmmmerson is the only player on our roster who can hit 3s at a decent clip, especially with the extended arc. If Jimmmmmerson doesn't get 20 minutes a game by the end of the season I'll be shocked.

When Coach mentions JiMMMerson, you can tell he’s saying towel me. He’s in love with JiMMM’s game and is extremely happy that he finally has a shooter who is also a scorer. I’ll say again that he loves the guy, it cannot be stressed enough. Coach will give JiMMM as many minutes as he can and I see him as a 20 plus minute guy if he can keep up his end on the defensive side. 

With Coach wanting to full court press as much as possible this year, JiMMM’s minutes might be limited there when you can bring pressure with Yuri, Weaver, and Hargrove.

We all hope that Gibson Jierson is the answer for our three point shooting woes.  However, the Billikens have had a total of one (1) freshman make 2.0 or more three pointers in his initial season.  Kevin Lisch hit 58 in 29 games, for an even 2.0 threes made per game.  Virgil Cobbin converted 57 in 30 games for a 1.90 conversion rate per game, and Scott Highmark made 52 in 28 games, 1.86.

For me, 2 successes for Gibson Jierson is likely a stretch. 

Clagg's overall season mark is 3.3 made per game, in 94/95 his final season, when he connected on 103 in 31 games. 

CBFan likes this

8 hours ago, almaman said:

Reading Roy's comments seems to be mocking spelling name instead of initials with 3 m's in his name. If we have a MBM section, and JM does turn into force to be reckoned with we could start posting M s for every 3 he hits like the Ks for strikeouts in MLB.

8 hours ago, billikenbill said:

I like it!!! 

“Gibson for three, MMM he got it!!!

7 hours ago, almaman said:

might be tough on Guy

7 hours ago, almaman said:

"Jimmmmmmmmmmerson from deeeeep

I beat you guys by almost 7 weeks:

slufanskip likes this

10 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

We all hope that Gibson Jierson is the answer for our three point shooting woes.  However, the Billikens have had a total of one (1) freshman make 2.0 or more three pointers in his initial season.  Kevin Lisch hit 58 in 29 games, for an even 2.0 threes made per game.  Virgil Cobbin converted 57 in 30 games for a 1.90 conversion rate per game, and Scott Highmark made 52 in 28 games, 1.86.

For me, 2 successes for Gibson Jierson is likely a stretch. 

Clagg's overall season mark is 3.3 made per game, in 94/95 his final season, when he connected on 103 in 31 games. 

On one hand, I agree with you.  I don't expect Jimerson to break our freshman 3 pt record (58 by Lisch in 05-06). 

On the other hand, you're talking about a totally different era of NCAA basketball.  3 point attempts per game have increased a bunch even since Lisch's time.  I can't find data, but here is an article that says 3 point attempts per game were 32.1 in 2001-02 and increased all the way to 36.4 in 2016-17 and was continuing to climb.

I suspect Jimerson won't set the freshman record because he won't get nearly as many minutes as Lisch did his freshman year (874 total / 30 per game).  However, if he's as good a shooter as advertised, I wouldn't be surprised if he bested Lisch on a per minute basis.

One of the big reasons that Lisch set the record was because he got to play.  Coach Brad was about to get fired if he did not improve from the bad year of 9 wins or something like that so he was forced to play both Lisch and Tommie L.  Tommie started right away but Kevin had to wait a few games.  So the question is will Jimmerson get the time on the court that Lisch got?