Pistol Summary, 2019 - 2020 Season

HoosierPal

25 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I think Goodwin will be the point guard all year long, and that Yuri or Jacobs will be backup point guards. Goodwin was our best point guard last year, and was basically the only one by January. Goodwin’s point guard skills are highly undervalued on this board. He sets up offense and other players. Has shown a strong ability with setting up our forwards down low, etc.

If this were true, we made the third round of the dance last year. We had point guard by committee, and Goodwin had ball handling tasked to him mainly due to Isabell not being up to the task in crunch minutes, and Bess at first having too much on his plate, and then being injury depleted. Neither Thatch nor Wiley could handle the rock under pressure, and at timesFrench brought it up court.

3star_recruit and Aquinas like this

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We will have a lot of bench points, in part because there will be an extraordinary number of substitutions.

I think Jimmerson will be hard to keep on the bench. Teams packed us in all last year and until we make them pay, they will keep doing it.  Jimmerson appears to be an exceptional shooter and I think teams are going to have to put their best perimeter defender on him or he will burn them....and he might burn them any way. I don't think Thatch has been able to shut him down. That will help open things up for other players.

I also think Bell will play more than expected because he will force other teams to put their big man on him, giving French an advantage against thier 4. If they cheat and put thier big man on French, Bell has a big mismatch. French and Bell together put a lot of pressure on the post.  Those 2 Billiken Bruisers are going to bang people up.

I believe getting to 70 points a game requires big years from Goodwin and French.  I think that requires at least 2 good shooters on the floor in all of the rotations, to break the zones and open up space for Goodwin and French, so they can do what they do best..

I suspect we will press more with our depth and get more easy buckets.  

I think Yuri will shine more as time passes and these guys learn to play together.  That will either happen late this year or maybe next. His minutes will also improve as his outside shooting improves.

I could be all wet.  I don't recall a Billiken team with this many new players, especially with such different skill sets. This is going to be fun and sometimes frustrating. There are a lot of questionmarks that make it difficult to project how it will all play out.

Clock_Tower likes this

One observation about Jimerson that I read somewhere and is worth keeping in mind, is that when the Bills practice they play as two separate teams. The composition of the opposing teams changes, of course. I read somewhere that the team with Jimerson in it for the day won the practice game most of the time, regardless  of who else was in it. I may be quoting something wrong here, but that I what I though I read.

SLU_Lax likes this

3 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Yes but our bench v starters will change alot over the year.  For instance, I don’t expect Yuri to be our starting PG but believe he will play alot and may end up our staring PG. I also don’t expect Bell, Hargove and Jimerson to be initial starters but would not be surprised if they carry the team and become starters. My game 1 starters are the first 5 I listed based initially on experience. Thereafter, all is up for grabs. 

makes sense

Couple positives:

1. Ford has a solid core of experienced guys, likely starters, mostly upperclassmen ... Weaver, Goodwin, Thatch, Perkins, French...

2. It would not be surprising if any one of 10 or 11 guys shine and earn a starting spot during the course of the season....

Don't know if this has been posted but the new roster is up: http://www.slubillikens.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&SPID=93215&SPSID=632633&DB_OEM_ID=27200&_ga=2.95535324.112765122.1568170196-1336061088.1568170196

2 hours ago, Aquinas said:

We will have a lot of bench points, in part because there will be an extraordinary number of substitutions.

I think Jimmerson will be hard to keep on the bench. Teams packed us in all last year and until we make them pay, they will keep doing it.  Jimmerson appears to be an exceptional shooter and I think teams are going to have to put their best perimeter defender on him or he will burn them....and he might burn them any way. I don't think Thatch has been able to shut him down. That will help open things up for other players.

I also think Bell will play more than expected because he will force other teams to put their big man on him, giving French an advantage against thier 4. If they cheat and put thier big man on French, Bell has a big mismatch. French and Bell together put a lot of pressure on the post.  Those 2 Billiken Bruisers are going to bang people up.

I believe getting to 70 points a game requires big years from Goodwin and French.  I think that requires at least 2 good shooters on the floor in all of the rotations, to break the zones and open up space for Goodwin and French, so they can do what they do best..

I suspect we will press more with our depth and get more easy buckets.  

I think Yuri will shine more as time passes and these guys learn to play together.  That will either happen late this year or maybe next. His minutes will also improve as his outside shooting improves.

I could be all wet.  I don't recall a Billiken team with this many new players, especially with such different skill sets. This is going to be fun and sometimes frustrating. There are a lot of questionmarks that make it difficult to project how it will all play out.

First, it is Jimerson.

Second, the last Billiken team to average 70+ ppg was the  2000-2001 team lead by Jeffers and Perry.  It has been a while.  (The 13-14 team was 69.8 ppg, almost there.)

9 hours ago, thetorch said:

Jimmmerson fits in as a starter much better than Hargrove right now.

I still don't see either Jimmmmerson or Hargrove starting yet, though. I'm standing by Goodwin-Weaver-Thatch-Perkins-French in the early going.

26 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I still don't see either Jimmmmerson or Hargrove starting yet, though. I'm standing by Goodwin-Weaver-Thatch-Perkins-French in the early going.

Yes.  That's my starting 5... but I would want that group to run the floor -- not half court offense. 

And as to Jimerson vs. Hargrove, Jimerson has the extra year of experience at prep school plus I believe an outside shooter has an easier role to learn (offensively and defensively) than Hargrove trying to play the 3 and/or 4.

i think jimmmerson will not be a starter out of the chute.   it will take him having a "game" to show us his worth.   but he has that big game where he owns the 3 point line and then ford will have to figure out how not to play him. 

TheChosenOne likes this

you guys are all stuck under 70 on the points per game math.   my take is someone will be an over 15 ppg scorer.   most likely goodwin.   there is the bump to put us over the 70 ppg.  

18 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Exactly.  Coaches have a tendency to go with experience early on until results force them to do otherwise.  Three's enough athleticism there to overpower inferior teams.

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

you guys are all stuck under 70 on the points per game math.   my take is someone will be an over 15 ppg scorer.   most likely goodwin.   there is the bump to put us over the 70 ppg.  

It's really hard for a guard to score 15 ppg+ at our level without the ability to break down people off the dribble or shoot a high percentage from the perimeter.

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's really hard for a guard to score 15 ppg+ at our level without the ability to break down people off the dribble or shoot a high percentage from the perimeter.

however with goodwin we are talking about the best offensive rebounder i have ever seen.   his put backs alone will give him a head start to that 15 ppg.   i also expect an improvement in his shooting percentages.  (if you look he did improve his sophomore year over his freshman year.   and obviously there is a lot of room for more improvement).  

while i admit i am goodwin biased, there seems to be a lot of hope that goodwin fails so collins gets his chance.   i have been watching jordan goodwin since 8th grade.   this kid will rise to the occasion and will be THE billiken go to guy

dlarry and CBFan like this

Just now, billiken_roy said:

however with goodwin we are talking about the best offensive rebounder i have ever seen.   his put backs alone will give him a head start to that 15 ppg.   i also expect an improvement in his shooting percentages.  (if you look he did improve his sophomore year over his freshman year.   and obviously there is a lot of room for more improvement).  

while i admit i am goodwin biased, there seems to be a lot of hope that goodwin fails so collins gets his chance.   i have been watching jordan goodwin since 8th grade.   this kid will rise to the occasion and will be THE billiken go to guy

Goodwin can't be anymore dominant on the offensive boards than he's already been so those extra 5 points have to come from somewhere else.  He actually would be better off receiving a pass while cutting to the basket than having to create offense for himself.  Yuri is not his competition, he's Goodwin's liberator.  It's just going to take time.  

cgeldmacher, TheDude and Pistol like this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I'm going with Bell, French, Perkins, Thatch,  Goodwin.  Defense and rebounding.  Javontae  gives them another finisher on fast breaks and a scorer in the half court.  Bell doesn't have to play a lot of minutes because French will float between the 4-5.  

CBFan likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Goodwin can't be anymore dominant on the offensive boards than he's already been so those extra 5 points have to come from somewhere else.  He actually would be better off receiving a pass while cutting to the basket than having to create offense for himself.  Yuri is not his competition, he's Goodwin's liberator.  It's just going to take time.  

So true. Yurimania will be starting by January. 

Before I say anything, it should be noted that what I write here are just my guesses, there is nothing technical or scientific about them, they are just guesses. I may well be totally wrong..

That said, looking at the OOC schedule, it does look pretty tough to me. There are a number of games scheduled against opponents that let's say will present challenges. I do not know how well we will be able to deal with these challenges WITHOUT the new players contribution to the Bills plan. That said, and I am not Ford (far from it), I think the new players will benefit form a lot of early experience against the easier teams, just to get the hang of D1 play, in order to be able to contribute effectively against the tougher teams. I would imagine we will see a fair amount of play from at least some of the new players from the very start of the season. Getting up to par will be a big challenge to them. I am not saying they will start but they will play, I think a fair amount, from the start. Just saying, in Ford we trust, etc...

Roy, no one is hoping Goodwin fails. We are hoping that  French, Goodwin, and Thatch all have had Conklin summers improving their individual noted weaknesses as TAj detailed. This season rides on the bench guys rapidly assimilating so our core can reduce play time, rather than increase play time.

At the same time, we are also hoping Ford can figure out rotation patterns to allow for the rookies to gain game seasoning. At the same time, he also must continue individual player development so he can identify the exact player to substitute for a specific need within a game.

Developing and integrating the new players, molding the known talents to best utilize their strengths, and creating cohesion and buy in as the season progresses are all part of Ford’s job, and he is well above average at doing it.

This will be interesting, as Goodwin and French are now the bell cows who own the team. Most  D1 teams take on many of the attributes of those leaders who have gone through the battles. We will have improved ball handling, better midrange and 3 pt. Shooting, but our defense is going to slip a little.

Even more so, this year we can be better if we generate marginal improvements in free throw %, 2 and 3 pt %, lower turnovers, and a lower core foul trouble induced pine sitting. Ford has his work cut out for him.

3star_recruit likes this

15 hours ago, Old guy said:

One observation about Jimerson that I read somewhere and is worth keeping in mind, is that when the Bills practice they play as two separate teams. The composition of the opposing teams changes, of course. I read somewhere that the team with Jimerson in it for the day won the practice game most of the time, regardless  of who else was in it. I may be quoting something wrong here, but that I what I though I read.

Yes, coach said that through summer workouts, Jimmmmerson's team won 80% of the time.

Also, the average number of possessions might be going up this year with the shotclock resetting to 20 seconds on offensive boards. I'm saying that we'll average at least 70 ppg.

Also, "c'mon Jayden, be a Billiken!!" (Just for you, Old guy) 😉