Pistol Summary, 2019 - 2020 Season

HoosierPal

https://www.bigredworld.org/post/new-year-new-team-2019-20-slu-basketball-preview

I don't know if this was posted in another thread, and if so, sorry, but our resident guru Pistol deserves his own thread.  Great summary Mr. Pistol.

I hope your projection on Mr. Bell is extremely low!  😀  And we need much more than 2.5 ppg from Thatch.

billiken_roy and Pistol like this

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I don't know if this was posted in another thread, and if so, sorry, but our resident guru Pistol deserves his own thread.  Great summary Mr. Pistol.

Good stuff, thanks for posting the link. I love that Pistol's analysis comes with a pic of Councilman Jamm, makes it seem even more credible.

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.bigredworld.org/post/new-year-new-team-2019-20-slu-basketball-preview

I hope your projection on Mr. Bell is extremely low!  😀

Just one note on my Bell blurb - I was talking about his readiness being a mitigating factor for French getting in foul trouble.

Also, the numeric projections are Collin's, not mine. He did a nice job putting this together. Fun piece.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Just one note on my Bell blurb - I was talking about his readiness being a mitigating factor for French getting in foul trouble.

Also, the numeric projections are Collin's, not mine. He did a nice job putting this together. Fun piece.

Hopefully the point projections are WAY off!.  The total points projected in the article of 64.5 ppg is lower than last season.  Without putting in anywhere near the effort you guys did, I certainly hope we exceed last season's 66.6 ppg and flirt with 70+ ppg.

Zink likes this

-a great read, thanks Pistol, just a couple of thoughts.....

-if JGood will have the ball late in games his FT% better be much improved

-Yuri at 6.5 apg would be just a tick under what I think is the SLU record of 6.7 by Roder in 86-87, I hope we have players making like Bonner, Gray and Douglas did on that team

-I hope Perkins is everything we hope for and more, I want that to happen in a big way, hope he doesn't have a long time to get accustomed to the D1 game, I will need to see it

-I think TJH will put up better scoring than 5.5 if we are playing fast, I think he will make it real difficult to keep him off the court in that type of game

-if Jimerson is making shots, he will also be on the floor a lot and I think he will

33 minutes ago, Pistol said:

So the numbers which say 2.5 ppg for Thatch, 5.5 for Hargrove, etc. belong to Collins?   

For the most part, great summaries and graphics - but the numbers are highly suspect.

And to say the PG job was given to a guy who committed to us for less than 2 weeks is joke.   Can we not put our high school biases aside?

19 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Can we not put our high school biases aside?

That would likely only come from someone who didn't watch Lewis play in high school. It was fairly obvious at Chaminade that Lewis lacked the quickness and ball skills to play as a lead guard, he was an undersized 2.

Good read and vids were great. I don't think any of us have shown enough appreciation for Hargrove's energy and handles. His 3 pt shot looks good as well in terms of release and form, still to be determined how many he makes. 

Another surprise to me was Diarra's footwork down low. St. B's plays some tough competition and he looked pretty smooth on some of those spin moves. Have to temper my optimism, however, as the jump from even high level HS ball to D1 is a big leap. 

Yurimania's court vision is just so good it's hard to see how he doesn't get serious minutes especially if we're going more up tempo. With the athletes this team has I can't see how Ford doesn't try and speed things up, especially since we have the depth to do it. 

All in all can't wait to see this group get on the floor and how Ford puts all these pieces together. No doubt this is going to be a season filled with lows and highs based on our expectations. That said, I can't seem to recall a recent Billiken team with this much potential. I say that because we've got most of the slots filled for what makes up a good team. The PG (Yurimania, Weaver, and JGood),  3-4 shooters (Jimerson, Weaver, Hankton, Perkins),  leapers and quickness (Hargrove, French, Jacobs), Defenders (French, JGood, Thatch),  Mr. Versatile (JGood), and tall and bulky backup bigs (Diarra and Bell). Let the Games begin!

Did not realize anyone was paying attention. Had written the article with @Pistol a little while back, and was still waiting on some contributions for it so we hadn't posted it here. That being said, the numbers projections coming from my point of view was what those guys could potentially do. Reasonable expectations. I didn't think that hard on it but probably looking at whether the numbers add up makes more sense for future reference. Hope you guys enjoy the read, I will try to keep working on more of these as I can. - Collin 

Zink likes this

33 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

So the numbers which say 2.5 ppg for Thatch, 5.5 for Hargrove, etc. belong to Collins?   

For the most part, great summaries and graphics - but the numbers are highly suspect.

And to say the PG job was given to a guy who committed to us for less than 2 weeks is joke.   Can we not put our high school biases aside?

I read his comment wrong at first as well.  He's saying that the projected numbers were done by Collin Kessler who is another writer on the blog / voice on The House that Rick Built podcast.  It has nothing to do with Yuri Collins.

1 hour ago, Band Legend said:

I think the projections for Thatch are way low, but that's what makes an article like this great- it stirs conversation. 

Hard to say what Thatch will do this year. He's super atheltic, can hit an open jump shot, but his game obviously needs some work. With guys like Jimerson, Weaver, and Perkins coming in, do we really even need that much in production from Thatch? At least points wise.

There is no possible way that Thatch only averages 2.5.

He averaged over 4 last year and will have a bigger role this year.  With the minutes Thatch is going to get if he only gives us 2 points per game we are in serious trouble.

Do not expect him to take a step forward offensively is crazy. 

JMO

Thanks for putting in the work to do this. I do appreciate it.

40 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

I used punctuation in "Collin's" for a reason. Go back and look at what I was saying.

For the second time, the number projections were done by Collin.

For the second time, my contribution to the piece is limited to the blurbs quoted directly under my name and nothing else.

I can't be blamed for reading comprehension errors.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

I used punctuation in "Collin's" for a reason. Go back and look at what I was saying.

For the second time, the number projections were done by Collin.

For the second time, my contribution to the piece is limited to the blurbs quoted directly under my name and nothing else.

I can't be blamed for reading comprehension errors.

I did think I made that clear. Maybe not. Apologies if this was misunderstood. 

I also predict that Fred Thatch will score more than 2.5ppg. The article also predicts KC Hankton to score 3ppg.

I would bet a large sum of money that Fred Thatch will score more than 2.5ppg. I would also bet a large sum of money that Fred Thatch scores more ppg than KC Hankton

Overall, the article is great! Thanks again for both of your great work! I enjoyed reading.

2 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

I also predict that Fred Thatch will score more than 2.5ppg. The article also predicts KC Hankton to score 3ppg.

I would bet a large sum of money that Fred Thatch will score more than 2.5ppg. I would also bet a large sum of money that Fred Thatch scores more ppg than KC Hankton

Overall, the article is great! Thanks again for both of your great work! I enjoyed reading.

Very fair point.