OT: 2020 US News and World Report College Rankings

Everyone can rest easy now that the  2020 rankings have been released:

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/st-louis-university-2506

• Saint Louis University back in the top 100 at #97. 
  • Tuition & room and board $58,000/year
  • Acceptance rate dropped to 58% (Fall of 2018)
  • Other school rankings:
    • Marquette 84
    • Loyola Chicago 104
    • DePaul 125
    • Dayton 132
    • Mizzou 139
prebilliken and SluSignGuy like this

58% acceptance rate must be an all-time low, right? Despite the largest-ever freshman class, too - that scholarship campaign really changed the admission numbers.

Marquette is ranked higher despite an 82% admission rate. I know there's a lot more in the stew, but still.

rgbilliken likes this

It's ridiculous that Augie 4 is listed as one of two notable alumni- I  was the same year as him and can tell you for sure that actually attending classes was not high on his priority list.  Ah, the lifestyles of the rich and famous. 

Not sure what the criteria was but last week the Wall Street Journal came out with their college rankings. We came in at 120. I think that might have been the 3rd highest Catholic School. Georgetown and ND were higher. Missouri was in the 300's. Lot's of small schools you never heard of were in the top 100. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

Not sure what the criteria was but last week the Wall Street Journal came out with their college rankings. We came in at 120. I think that might have been the 3rd highest Catholic School. Georgetown and ND were higher. Missouri was in the 300's. Lot's of small schools you never heard of were in the top 100. 

Even better - we were 106.  ND, Georgetown, BC and Holy Cross were the Catholic schools ahead of us.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/rankings/united-states/2019#!/page/0/length/-1/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

The President of the Bizz school that I'm getting my MBA at (UT Austin) had a quote that I believe perfectly encompasses how I feel about rankings: "Rankings should not be what drives Universities, we know that so much more goes into building an institution than the strange math that produces these numbers, that being said, rankings matter to incoming students, they matter to alumni, and they matter to boosters, so they matter to us. It should also be noted that we only take into official consideration the criteria that encompasses the USNWR rankings, we only cite other ranking systems when it serves us well." It was such a frank and honest answer, I couldn't agree more. 

With Dr. Hartzell's wise words in mind: 

• Its good to see us back in the top 100, even if we are still not at the peak of 76 (I believe) when I applied to SLU for undergrad in 2005.
  • 58% acceptance rate is incredible, the fact that isn't driving our rankings higher is crazy. It also shows how the standards for getting in to SLU continue to elevate. According to a news release from SLU, the current GPA for the incoming class is a 3.92, and their test scores place them within the 90th percentile of all incoming classes in the US. 
  • It blows my cot d**m mind that Marquette is ranked higher than SLU. There is no explanation for it. 
  • I covet our $1.2B endowment, it is so impressive for a school our size. That alone should also bolster our rankings as well. (Twice the size as Marquette's endowment - we are well endowed... Sorry, I couldn't resist.) 
  • I hope SLU focuses in on a few key grad programs that over-index in how a university does in National Rankings, namely their MBA, I'm hopeful this is an area of focus with Chaifetz's continued involvement in the business school. These programs don't just boost rankings, but they are also high margin programs that enable a lot of financial security for other areas of academics. 

Heading in the right direction - good work by Pestello and Co. 

54 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

The President of the Bizz school that I'm getting my MBA at (UT Austin) had a quote that I believe perfectly encompasses how I feel about rankings: "Rankings should not be what drives Universities, we know that so much more goes into building an institution than the strange math that produces these numbers, that being said, rankings matter to incoming students, they matter to alumni, and they matter to boosters, so they matter to us. It should also be noted that we only take into official consideration the criteria that encompasses the USNWR rankings, we only cite other ranking systems when it serves us well." It was such a frank and honest answer, I couldn't agree more. 

With Dr. Hartzell's wise words in mind: 

• Its good to see us back in the top 100, even if we are still not at the peak of 76 (I believe) when I applied to SLU for undergrad in 2005.
  • 58% acceptance rate is incredible, the fact that isn't driving our rankings higher is crazy. It also shows how the standards for getting in to SLU continue to elevate. According to a news release from SLU, the current GPA for the incoming class is a 3.92, and their test scores place them within the 90th percentile of all incoming classes in the US. 
  • It blows my cot d**m mind that Marquette is ranked higher than SLU. There is no explanation for it. 
  • I covet our $1.2B endowment, it is so impressive for a school our size. That alone should also bolster our rankings as well. (Twice the size as Marquette's endowment - we are well endowed... Sorry, I couldn't resist.) 
  • I hope SLU focuses in on a few key grad programs that over-index in how a university does in National Rankings, namely their MBA, I'm hopeful this is an area of focus with Chaifetz's continued involvement in the business school. These programs don't just boost rankings, but they are also high margin programs that enable a lot of financial security for other areas of academics. 

Heading in the right direction - good work by Pestello and Co. 

It's good to see the standards have risen since they hit rock bottom when they admitted me in 2009.

Billiken Rich and AGB91 like this

7 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Everyone can rest easy now that the  2020 rankings have been released:

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/st-louis-university-2506

• Saint Louis University back in the top 100 at #97. 
  • Tuition & room and board $58,000/year
  • Acceptance rate dropped to 58% (Fall of 2018)
  • Other school rankings:
    • Marquette 84
    • Loyola Chicago 104
    • DePaul 125
    • Dayton 132
    • Mizzou 139

Just checked out the list, something different then previous years. A lot of the West Coast Conf catholic schools are ranked higher then us. In years past they were considered Regional Universities. I now wonder what distinguishes a National University from a Regional University.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

It's good to see the standards have risen since they hit rock bottom when they admitted me in 2009.

LOL... i got my degree.... i hope SLU becomes super exclusive... they cant take it away from me

17 hours ago, prebilliken said:

So our USNWR ranking peaked the year I graduated. That's an interesting data point that should surprise literally no one. Thanks for sharing.

prebilliken likes this

25 minutes ago, Pistol said:

So our USNWR ranking peaked the year I graduated. That's an interesting data point that should surprise literally no one. Thanks for sharing.

Winners stopped migrating here for a few years after that, but they are clearly back.

Pistol, prebilliken and JMM28 like this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Pistol, I think you've been missing out on a career in consulting my friend. 

Pistol likes this

19 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Just checked out the list, something different then previous years. A lot of the West Coast Conf catholic schools are ranked higher then us. In years past they were considered Regional Universities. I now wonder what distinguishes a National University from a Regional University.

It was only a few years back (2016 I believe) when Villanova was in the Regional vs the now National Rankings. They’ve been top 50 since joining the National Rankings. Previoualy they were a top ranked Regional North school for 23 years.