Top 100 A-10 Players

Taj79

https://www.a10talk.com/ranking-the-top-100-atlantic-10-basketball-players-for-the-2019-20-season/

An interesting read.  All speculation of course like the Top 144 but still a good read given where we are as the season approaches.

For those who want the condensed version, last year's POY Jon Axel Rose is #1; Obi Toppin is #2; and Marcus Evans is #3.  Duh.  But the author puts jacob Gilyard at #4 with Grady #5.  I want to start a A10 fantasy team and Gilyard doesn't come to mind.

For the good guys, Hasahn is #13 and is listed as the fourth best big behind Toppin, Santos-Silva, Golden and Langevine.  Goodwin is "only" #19; then Hargrove comes in at #41, Yuri Collins at #49 )ahead of Fred Thatch Jr., hmm); Perkins at #51; Thatch at #53; Jimmy Bell Jr. at #57 and Jimmmmmerson at #68.  Interesting fact:  at #94 comes Jacob Toppin..... yep Obi's brother.  

There is also some good highlight reel stuff for Hargrover, Collins and Jimmmmmerson, in case you missed it.

Taj. Thanks for the short summary.  Will need to read the full article later.

In the meantime, do you (and the rest of this Board) agree with the order of our ranked guys?  Not if French should be #13 or not and Goodwin #19 or not but would you rank French ahead of Goodwin, and Goodwin ahead of Hargrove ...

And Hargrove again appears to be our top ranked newcomer. Seems hard to rank guys who have never played a minute of a college game. 

42 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Taj. Thanks for the short summary.  Will need to read the full article later.

In the meantime, do you (and the rest of this Board) agree with the order of our ranked guys?  Not if French should be #13 or not and Goodwin #19 or not but would you rank French ahead of Goodwin, and Goodwin ahead of Hargrove ...

And Hargrove again appears to be our top ranked newcomer. Seems hard to rank guys who have never played a minute of a college game. 

French and Goodwin are very similar players in terms of production but based on French being a frontcourt player, his offensive contribution is harder to replace. Based on that fact I think the writer got the order right.

Hargrove's consensus ranking is in the the 300s. Even if you think the analysts have underrated Hargrove by about 100 spots ( I do), Goodwin and French were higher ranked recruits and now have 2 years under their belt.  Again, I think the writer got the order right.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

French and Goodwin are very similar players in terms of production but based on French being a frontcourt player, his offensive contribution is harder to replace. Based on that fact I think the writer got the order right.

Hargrove's consensus ranking is in the the 300s. Even if you think the analysts have underrated Hargrove by about 100 spots ( I do), Goodwin and French were higher ranked recruits and now have 2 years under their belt.  Again, I think the writer got the order right.

Yes.  You are right about French and Goodwin.  I just never gave much thought as to who our next top recruit might be.  Hargove v. Yuri v. Perkins v. Jamison v. Bell.  They each play different positions, bring different skill sets, different sizes, different backgrounds.

Interesting that we have 8 guys in their top 68 with no mention of Weaver, Diarra, Hankton or Jacobs.

As noted, the rankings are purely speculative and a pure discussion-starting article.  Labedz (the author) is a Davidson grad but i don't find him as "homeristic" as Kelly (Dayton), Goldberg (Richmond), Godar (Saint Louis), Revo (Bonaventure) andMorelli (St. Joe's).  But then again, who isn't homeristic, including all of us?

I don't have a problem with French ahead of Goodwin.  I don't know that the bulk of writers see what we see in the intangibles Goodwin brings to the court.  His flaws are readily seen in terms of shooting percentage, free throw percentage, 3-point percentage and so on.  So too are French's and i think if both continue to post numbers like they have, our season will go further south then we all want it to.  Ditto Thatch.  I don't really have an issue with the top 9 or 10 ..... I am not so bullish on Sincere Cary or Carl Pierre.  Maybe that's because their teams didn't do so well.   Sherod is comign back from a big injury, having him at 15 is dicey.  Fats Russel?  Hmmm --- early Fats 2018 no, late 2018-19, maybe.  Osunniyi was nice but let's see what he does without Stockard and Griffin.  And to put Daly at #18, when he hasn't played a game and is a transfer from powerhouse Delaware?  Same was said about Lewis when he transferred from Delaware to La Salle a few years back and meant little to nothing.  I think Goodwin is too low but I understand why.  Didn't someone say he needed "a lot of work" going forward?

Frankly, I don't know if there are 100 good players in the A10.  But this gives me great advance warning as to who to watch for.  Didn't really know about Daly (Joeys),  and I agree that Cayo and Francis (both Richmond) may not be as high as they are.  Stunning that former 4-star recruit Jermaine Harris at Rhodey is"only" #83 in this report.  Never heard of Lee (Davidson), Ward (VCU), Hikim (La Salle) or many others on this list and find it surprising that most of Dayton's transfers are ranked where they are.  Top freshman to watch is Tre Mitchell at Umass.  Only time will tell.

I do like it where they have placed our new guys because that gives me some good hope and nice preseason publicity.  If true, we have 8 guys listed.  That alone should say we have one thing we've never had in the Ford era ---- depth.  

dennis_w and brianstl like this

41 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

As noted, the rankings are purely speculative and a pure discussion-starting article.  Labedz (the author) is a Davidson grad but i don't find him as "homeristic" as Kelly (Dayton), Goldberg (Richmond), Godar (Saint Louis), Revo (Bonaventure) andMorelli (St. Joe's).  But then again, who isn't homeristic, including all of us?

I don't have a problem with French ahead of Goodwin.  I don't know that the bulk of writers see what we see in the intangibles Goodwin brings to the court.  His flaws are readily seen in terms of shooting percentage, free throw percentage, 3-point percentage and so on.  So too are French's and i think if both continue to post numbers like they have, our season will go further south then we all want it to.  Ditto Thatch.  I don't really have an issue with the top 9 or 10 ..... I am not so bullish on Sincere Cary or Carl Pierre.  Maybe that's because their teams didn't do so well.   Sherod is comign back from a big injury, having him at 15 is dicey.  Fats Russel?  Hmmm --- early Fats 2018 no, late 2018-19, maybe.  Osunniyi was nice but let's see what he does without Stockard and Griffin.  And to put Daly at #18, when he hasn't played a game and is a transfer from powerhouse Delaware?  Same was said about Lewis when he transferred from Delaware to La Salle a few years back and meant little to nothing.  I think Goodwin is too low but I understand why.  Didn't someone say he needed "a lot of work" going forward?

Frankly, I don't know if there are 100 good players in the A10.  But this gives me great advance warning as to who to watch for.  Didn't really know about Daly (Joeys),  and I agree that Cayo and Francis (both Richmond) may not be as high as they are.  Stunning that former 4-star recruit Jermaine Harris at Rhodey is"only" #83 in this report.  Never heard of Lee (Davidson), Ward (VCU), Hikim (La Salle) or many others on this list and find it surprising that most of Dayton's transfers are ranked where they are.  Top freshman to watch is Tre Mitchell at Umass.  Only time will tell.

I do like it where they have placed our new guys because that gives me some good hope and nice preseason publicity.  If true, we have 8 guys listed.  That alone should say we have one thing we've never had in the Ford era ---- depth.  

I like this list as a reference for the best returning players. The top 20 guys seems pretty accurate, although I would have ordered them slightly different. I wholeheartedly agree that Richmond has 2 of the top 10 returning players. Mooney has no excuse for finishing outside the top half, barring injury.