Carteare

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the board can refrain from floating around this. It’s clear that Carteare needs stability, and unfortunately either he or those advising him don’t seem to have his best interests at heart. Hopefully he can figure it out at some point.

courtside likes this

11 minutes ago, NH said:

I hope the board can refrain from floating around this. It’s clear that Carteare needs stability, and unfortunately either he or those advising him don’t seem to have his best interests at heart. Hopefully he can figure it out at some point.

I have no inside info but how do you know anybody is advising him or even if they have any sway with him.  I am sorry he is having trouble finding his place but clearly his life is untethered and he he needs help.  I hope he finds what he needs to get on the right track. 

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

I have no inside info but how do you know anybody is advising him or even if they have any sway with him.  I am sorry he is having trouble finding his place but clearly his life is untethered and he he needs help.  I hope he finds what he needs to get on the right track. 

I don’t, which is what I meant with the “either / or” part. There’s been scuttlebutt about Carteare getting bad advice in the past but I don’t have any inside info about that.

48 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I am not sure how his eligibility works now - can anybody explain?

At this point he would have to sit out this coming year minus getting some sort of waiver which would be hard to get at this point. He burned his 1st year of eligibility last season by playing for SLU. This year would be a redshirt year to if/where he transfers. 

If I remember correctly DePaul is on either trimesters or quarters so he wouldn’t have started classes yet for this academic year. Classes probably start next week which is why this last minute timing. He’s going to have a harder time finding a school willing to take him that also has a scholarship available. A coach could probably justify by saying it’s a wasted scholarship at this point, but that doesn’t justify the potential of having a problem child sitting out causing problems all year either. 

Edit- just realized DePaul just did a foreign trip. Not really sure how this would work for his eligibility in that case. 

I can't say I'm surprised in the least.

I feel bad that the young man appears to be squandering some God-given gifts that most of us never even sniff.

I pray that he has his come-to-Jesus moment.

As for the tongue-in-cheek comment about SLU's having an available scholarship for him to return there, I suspect he didn't just burn that bridge but he also filled the ground on which the supports stood with toxic waste.

Geez.

At this point I would advise him in this way.

You want to play college ball head to University of Hawaii or University of Maine. Nobody to get into his ear in Hawaii and I can’t imagine there is much trouble to be had in Maine.

You don’t want to play college ball that’s fine too. You should go play in Syria or Afghanistan. That way you might finally understand everything you threw away.

billiken_roy likes this

Couldn't care less if next time I hear his name he's playing in the NBA or I ask him for the double w/ cheese. He's an adult. Time to grow up and take responsibility for his own life blaming people advising him is ridiculous. His choices are his and his only. 

I hate to say this but Gordon will have to play for some really far away school like the U. of Idaho to get some chance to  go play professional basketball somewhere. I do not think he is truly a bad kid, but whatever it is that he carries inside himself is not helping him. I think he does need his own come-to-Jesus moment.

On the DePaul twitter comments I found it interesting someone posted his transfer last year was the result of multiple SLU players saying to Ford either he goes or we go. I know we all heard about locker room conflicts with him, but I don't believe we ever heard there was this kind of ultimatum given by the team. Ford never seemed overly agitated by his leaving. Sure, he was probably disappointed to lose his talent, but on the other hand probably more relieved his headache was over. I also found it strange he transferred so quickly to DePaul and not Mizzou, which supposedly was hot after his services prior to him signing with us. Maybe Cuonzo knew something we didn't, ie this kid's gonna be a load to handle. 

Whatever his problems are, I hope he figures them out and gets his life back on track. 

19 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I also found it strange he transferred so quickly to DePaul and not Mizzou, which supposedly was hot after his services prior to him signing with us. Maybe Cuonzo knew something we didn't, ie this kid's gonna be a load to handle. 

we all knew it.   we just ignored the obvious due to the nba ready body that the kid possessed.   all this is no surprise.   the only thing that is sad imo is all the time we wasted on this headcase.   we passed on other players that could have helped to take this pot of gold that is going to end up bad.   

i'm with skip.  couldnt care less about gordon and where he ends up.   he did it to himself.  

CBFan, SLU_Lax, AGB91 and 2 others like this

I felt that Gordon would not play a regular season game he had too much down time sitting out and waiting to play then making matters worse when DePaul is under NCAA suspension and the program now seems to be a mess, a perfect storm.

I agree with Roy and Skip he is a grown up now so he owns this.  I am always a cheerleader for all people doing well and not wasting a life so I hope Gordon goes to JUCO and humbles himself apologizes for his bad behavior and finds a D1 school gets his degree.