Why it's fun to cheer for Billiken Hoops

slu72

Why is it fun to be a Bills fan, you ask? One word, the DRAMA every season brings. We all love drama. It's why we watch movies, read novels, binge watch TV. Drama! You just never know how it's gonna all turn out in the end. 

The 2019-20 season thread is evidence of why we love Billiken Hoops and have for so many years. Ups, downs, and all arounds keeps us all pinned to our seats and TVs all these many years.

Would you rather be bored by the Dukes and UKs of the world? Every season those dullards know how their season is gonna play out. 30 and 3, win their conference, ranked in the top 10, # 1 seed in the dance. Where's the drama, the suspense, the dream of shocking the world? They don't get the pleasure of experiencing  that kind of excitement and anxiety that we do just about every season. 

And we don't have to experience the depression that sets in on the fans of the elite when they fail to win it all. Not like us creaming our jeans when we just make the dance. And go bat s$&t crazy if we actually win a first round game. They take all that for granted with a ho hum attitude. Who's having more fun and thrills them or us? Us! 

Over the last 25 years we've gone to the dance 8 times by my count. Everyone of us can tell you who we beat and who beat us in those 8 special years. I'd like to see a Kansas fan come up with who they beat and lost too in their 20-25 trips over the same period. They likely know who they lost to because their dreams got crushed. But their wins, not likely. 

Yeah, we all want to be the next Zaga, but it wouldn't be half as much fun as we're having now. Well, that might be a stretch on my part, but we wouldn't have the drama and anticipation we all have for this upcoming season. 

We have no idea how this year will play out for the Bills. Will we have more lows than highs? I hope not, but that's what makes it all worthwhile to watch and support this team. It's highly likely there will be games where we are pulling our hair out, tossing the SLU hat against the TV, and grabbing another beer. Meanwhile, the Duke fan will be headed to bed w/ 10 minutes left in the game as they're hammering Wake by 30. I ask you, who's enjoying it more? I'd say us.  

rgbilliken likes this

Totally agree with this. My husband grew up in Kansas and went to KU and is a big KU fan. I've tried, but I just can't care about it that much. Huge part of the reason is it's just not that exciting when they're really good, because they're always really good. And it's not that big of a deal if they don't have a great-by-KU standards year, because it's just like...So what? They'll land one of the top recruiting classes again the following year and have a shot at the final four every single year. When was the last time they didn't make the tournament? Who cares if they make a second round exit lots of years.....they'll be back again next year, probably as a 1 or 2 seed. It's really hard for me to care about a team under those circumstances because it just feels like the stakes during any given season aren't that high.

Maybe that's just me rationalizing. I would obviously love for SLU to be in a similar situation to the teams who are always at the top. But for the time being I do enjoy the highs and lows.

SLU_Nick likes this

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

Yeah, but it ain't gonna happen at SLU. Enjoy the roller coaster. 

Duke will eventually fall off — or at least fade a bit — once Mike Krzyzewski retires.  Then they'll likely be grasping for past glory like UCLA or Indiana.  They'll still be better than the vast majority of programs, but they won't nearly what they are now.

As for Kentucky, they'll remain near the top of the heap for the next 50-100 years, probably.

6 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Duke will eventually fall off — or at least fade a bit — once Mike Krzyzewski retires.  Then they'll likely be grasping for past glory like UCLA or Indiana.  They'll still be better than the vast majority of programs, but they won't nearly what they are now.

As for Kentucky, they'll remain near the top of the heap for the next 50-100 years, probably.

In 50 years they'll be cheering for robots. 

17 hours ago, slu72 said:

Why is it fun to be a Bills fan, you ask? One word, the DRAMA every season brings. We all love drama. It's why we watch movies, read novels, binge watch TV. Drama! You just never know how it's gonna all turn out in the end. 

The 2019-20 season thread is evidence of why we love Billiken Hoops and have for so many years. Ups, downs, and all arounds keeps us all pinned to our seats and TVs all these many years.

Would you rather be bored by the Dukes and UKs of the world? Every season those dullards know how their season is gonna play out. 30 and 3, win their conference, ranked in the top 10, # 1 seed in the dance. Where's the drama, the suspense, the dream of shocking the world? They don't get the pleasure of experiencing  that kind of excitement and anxiety that we do just about every season. 

And we don't have to experience the depression that sets in on the fans of the elite when they fail to win it all. Not like us creaming our jeans when we just make the dance. And go bat s$&t crazy if we actually win a first round game. They take all that for granted with a ho hum attitude. Who's having more fun and thrills them or us? Us! 

Over the last 25 years we've gone to the dance 8 times by my count. Everyone of us can tell you who we beat and who beat us in those 8 special years. I'd like to see a Kansas fan come up with who they beat and lost too in their 20-25 trips over the same period. They likely know who they lost to because their dreams got crushed. But their wins, not likely. 

Yeah, we all want to be the next Zaga, but it wouldn't be half as much fun as we're having now. Well, that might be a stretch on my part, but we wouldn't have the drama and anticipation we all have for this upcoming season. 

We have no idea how this year will play out for the Bills. Will we have more lows than highs? I hope not, but that's what makes it all worthwhile to watch and support this team. It's highly likely there will be games where we are pulling our hair out, tossing the SLU hat against the TV, and grabbing another beer. Meanwhile, the Duke fan will be headed to bed w/ 10 minutes left in the game as they're hammering Wake by 30. I ask you, who's enjoying it more? I'd say us.  

So because they support a national power means thy're not as good of a fan?

It is all relative to expectations. They'll love a national title every bit as much as I'd love a sweet 16 game. 

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

I don't particularly enjoy the roller coaster, but I've largely come to terms with the fact that it is what it is.  

I would just appreciate more frequent peaks and less frequent valleys.

-well said Box

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

So because they support a national power means thy're not as good of a fan?

It is all relative to expectations. They'll love a national title every bit as much as I'd love a sweet 16 game. 

Not saying that. They are absolute fanatics. But when you know your chances of winning just about every game are like 95% doesn't it take away from the excitement of the event? 

8 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Not saying that. They are absolute fanatics. But when you know your chances of winning just about every game are like 95% doesn't it take away from the excitement of the event? 

Then yes, I'd rather relax watching a rout of Santa Clara than losing to them like we did a few years ago