OT: MLS Announcement Tuesday: GOOOOOOL for STL.

4 hours ago, davidnark said:

For those who are not aware, the stadium will actually be built in the vacant lots and vacated highway site north of Market, not in the frequently cited Union Station lot south of it. (The Union Station lot and vacated highway ramp south of Market will become a plaza and related development connected to the stadium by a tunnel.) The theoretically site plan proposed by this blogger a few years ago will be more akin to the final plan. http://www.urbanreviewstl.com/2016/02/a-great-site-for-a-major-league-soccer-mls-stadium-in-downtown-st-louis/ Martin Kilcoyne tweeted the same last night. 

Interesting. I did not know that. I was hoping it would be in the area that Union Station lot and potentially have an address on Clark Ave. Then you could say all three stadiums are on the same street.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Correct.  Edited that post for clarification. They've had a presence in St. Louis for a long time I believe.

This one is more of a psychological/perception victory for St. Louis than anything else, and a big win for St. Louis ag tech. When is the last time a Fortune 500 company moved its HQ to St. Louis? I think I read it was Post Holdings.

Unfortunately, I don't believe Bunge is actually a Fortune 500 company, since it is incoporated outside the U.S. It is on Fortune's less commonly referenced "Global 500" list.

5 minutes ago, QUAILMAN said:

Unfortunately, I don't believe Bunge is actually a Fortune 500 company, since it is incoporated outside the U.S. It is on Fortune's less commonly referenced "Global 500" list.

Ah that would make sense.

Please do not think that the building in Chesterfield is Bunge's or Rabo's world HQ. Bunge LTD has its world HQ in NY, Rabo's is either in Amsterdam or Switzerland  (I think I read something about this a couple of months ago). What is located in Chesterfield for both companies is the North American Agribusiness HQs. This makes sense as St. Louis is in the midst of the agricultural production area of the US.

9 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Please do not think that the building in Chesterfield is Bunge's or Rabo's world HQ. Bunge LTD has its world HQ in NY, Rabo's is either in Amsterdam or Switzerland  (I think I read something about this a couple of months ago). What is located in Chesterfield for both companies is the North American Agribusiness HQs. This makes sense as St. Louis is in the midst of the agricultural production area of the US.

It’s going to be Bunge’s Global HQ. That’s the story. 

4 hours ago, Old guy said:

Funny

23 hours ago, davidnark said:

This is such great news not only for soccer and sports fans, but also fans of St. Louis. The project will help re-develop a huge vacant space between downtown proper and midtown and will provide another attraction that will make the region more attractive to future generations. For those who are not aware, the stadium will actually be built in the vacant lots and vacated highway site north of Market, not in the frequently cited Union Station lot south of it. (The Union Station lot and vacated highway ramp south of Market will become a plaza and related development connected to the stadium by a tunnel.) The theoretically site plan proposed by this blogger a few years ago will be more akin to the final plan. http://www.urbanreviewstl.com/2016/02/a-great-site-for-a-major-league-soccer-mls-stadium-in-downtown-st-louis/ Martin Kilcoyne tweeted the same last night. 

The more I think about it the more I dislike this move. Not that the ownership group cares at all about my opinion but based on the lot size north of Market, it seems the stadium would have to be built parallel to Market which means both goalies could potentially be staring into the sun during the course of the game. This would also limit the number of people with views of downtown (assuming the stadium design was open) to just the section behind one goal. I'd also rather have a stadium that will probably be used 50 times a year tucked back between the interstate, Union Station, and hotel (and closer to the Metrolink). Seems that any mixed use component would fit more naturally on the north side, closer to existing residential and commercial buildings. Someone was speculating that this move was probably made in order to start construction ASAP which makes sense. 

21 hours ago, davidnark said:

To be fair, a business and driver of economic activity downtown has a dramatically different impact on the view and perception of the city from the perspective of most tourists, transplants, media, and out-of-town investors. Nobody in the world judges the viability and quality of a major city from its suburbs--they are largely the same throughout North America. The revitalization of "St. Louis" needs to begin with the core and work its way outward. Plus, a strong central core provides opportunities for a more efficient and sustainable public transportation system, even without old white guys from the suburbs who falsely believe they will put their lives at risk. For these reasons, it is foolish to exclude Build a Bear's relocation from the renaissance. 

BINGO

17 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

How about St. Louis Starships, for the forward, New STL MLS expansion team name?

Enterprise-Rent-a-Car family is going to be a principal owner of the team.  Team could potentially arrange to have the Enterprise starship from Star Trek as a logo.

Lay off the weeeeedaaaahhh

I’m mixed on the team name. I watch soccer in Europe, so used to names including FC, United, etc. That said, those names in my opinion are better suited for teams that have been around for a long time. Naming a new team FC, United is a little odd to me.

At the same time, my general opinion is that most American teams created in the last 30 years have had stupid names, in large part due to the names being created by people looking at it from a branding or marketing perspective.

My pick is St. Louis Rovers. Sounds like a team in England, without the focus being on FC or United. I’d be ok with bringing back a name like the Steamers. My guess is they’ll try to call it St. Louis United.

13 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I’m mixed on the team name. I watch soccer in Europe, so used to names including FC, United, etc. That said, those names in my opinion are better suited for teams that have been around for a long time. Naming a new team FC, United is a little odd to me.

At the same time, my general opinion is that most American teams created in the last 30 years have had stupid names, in large part due to the names being created by people looking at it from a branding or marketing perspective.

My pick is St. Louis Rovers. Sounds like a team in England, without the focus being on FC or United. I’d be ok with bringing back a name like the Steamers. My guess is they’ll try to call it St. Louis United.

NM

Just go by St Louis at first and let a nickname develop organically.  It isn't like FC is a nickname for teams in the EPL.  Using FC for US professional soccer teams is pretty lame. Should we all start referring to the Cardinals as the St. Louis Cardinals BC or  St. Louis Cardinals Baseball Club? The official business name of the Cardinals for years was The St. Louis Cardinals Baseball Club, but we never added that onto what we actually called them. 

Just come out with a good looking kit and color scheme.  Let the fans start rallying around something the first few years and then the owners can go with that if they like it. Plus, then everyone will buy new team merch.

BenFred on Scoops with Danny, said he has no inside info on the name or colors.  He said he has 'heard' that the MLS doesn't want anymore United names.  He feels the area wants a name not based with Europe traditions, but one identified with St. Louis.  He also said STLC isn't going anywhere. 

22 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I heard that they're NOT sticking with FC - I believe Kilcoyne tweeted that.

And that's fine with me.  I don't care for the phony Euro names.

I may have seen that or another tweet and read it incorrectly.

And I couldn't agree more. The bootleg Euro cosplay names have to go. Sporting KC, Real Salt Lake, Fussball Club Cincinnati. MLS is never going to be anything but a cheap second-rate league if they keep these garbage names going.

TheChosenOne, AGB91 and brianstl like this

23 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Just go by St Louis at first and let a nickname develop organically.  It isn't like FC is a nickname for teams in the EPL.  Using FC for US professional soccer teams is pretty lame. Should we all start referring to the Cardinals as the St. Louis Cardinals BC or  St. Louis Cardinals Baseball Club? The official business of the Cardinals for years was The St. Louis Cardinals Baseball Club for years , but we never added that onto what we actually called them. 

Just come out with a good looking kit and color scheme.  Let the fans start rallying around something the first few years and then the owners can go with that if they like it. Plus, then everyone will buy new team merch.

+1

20 minutes ago, Pistol said:

And I couldn't agree more. The bootleg Euro cosplay names have to go. Sporting KC, Real Salt Lake, Fussball Club Cincinnati. MLS is never going to be anything but a cheap second-rate league if they keep these garbage names going.

I have always liked the Columbus Crew name for some reason. They screwed it up when they added SC to the name and dropped the old shield.  The badge could have used some tweaks to modernize it, but it was better than the one that replaced it (even though the new one isn't awful, just feels generic).

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I have always liked the Columbus Crew name for some reason. They screwed it up when they added SC to the name and dropped the old shield.  The badge could have used some tweaks to modernize it, but it was better than the one that replaced it (even though the new one isn't awful, just feels generic).

Out here we have the local San Jose Earthquakes, which was the name of the old San Jose NASL team.  (So there is a precedent for calling the new St. Louis team the Stars.)  I coached the younger brother of the Earthquakes' star striker, Chris Wondolowski, in CYO hoops and know their parents.

LA has the LA Galaxy and the new Los Angeles FC.  These two teams play in different soccer specific stadiums, with the Galaxy's soccer stadium in Carson being the temporary home of the LA Chargers of the NFL.

46 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I agree, no Euro names, no FC, Real, United, etc.

The issue for STL is so many of the potential names have already been used by STL pro sports teams, i.e. Stars, Steamers, Spirits, Storm.

I would be ok with St. Louis Stars, the name of St. Louis' NASL team, but I don't think that would be a popular choice.  That's why a group of us were trying to think outside the box to come up with a new name, not a recycled name or one used by other pro sports teams.

I also think having the new MLS team in STL, with a 22-24,000 seat soccer specific stadium only about a mile or so from the SLU campus, will help SLU's Soccer program, which was once a national power to the point that SLU was known as the UCLA of College Soccer.

I admit to liking the name Steamers, but that may be more of a sentimental thing, as I grew up going to Steamers games as a kid.  Still, they had a cool logo and color scheme.

On the downside, it conjures up the term "Cleveland steamer."

-St Louis Toasteds and sell inexpensive alcohol so the fans can match the moniker - a red color scheme to match another team

-Steamers was a great name, I had heard a bank owned the name but that was years ago, and could have a blue color scheme to match two of their neighbors - or the Tugs and there could be some interesting off field entertainment options

-I am not big into soccer but I don't understand why an American team would copy, other than on field success, names from Europe, be American

-Frank had Dr Rische on his program this week and is a worthwhile listen around money for the upcoming team - https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/