OT: MLS Announcement Tuesday: GOOOOOOL for STL.

St. Louis City SC/FC was right around the top of my list out of the names that were generally suggested. While I am going to roll my eyes at anyone from St. Louis County, St. Charles County, the Metro East, Jefferson County, etc who tries to claim that the team doesn’t represent them, I still didn’t think this name would be likely just because I thought they’d go safe and avoid that potential conflict.

I’m a big fan of this name. My big soapbox with the name was that I was ok with a given nickname only if it was fairly simple and traditional. No names like Kraken or Battlehawks. Give me a “boring” European style name every time over a name that sounds cool and edgy in 2020, but has the chance to sound really dumb in 10 years.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Brighton said:

All that build up for a generic name is classic St. Louis.

I think Carter's article really illuminated that an Americanized name was never going to be in the cards. Believe he pointed out that 1 of the last 12 MLS expansion teams have gone this route (Portland Timbers) while the rest have all followed the Euro/world soccer style. Definitely seems to be a directive from the top. 

https://carterchapleymedia.com/2020/08/05/its-time-to-get-real-the-stl-mls-franchise-will-not-have-an-americanized-nameand-thats-ok/

20 minutes ago, Brighton said:

All that build up for a generic name is classic St. Louis.

I am fairly certain every MLS franchise goes through a similar exercise. If they didn't, their marketing people would be really bad at their job.

35 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Crest is not bad at all, but would be interested to see a mock-up of it with the city flag colors vs. straight Cards colors 

1. Text on the side looks strange.

2. Why is "SC" on an island?

3. Arch and Rivers graphic is a blur.

I'll give them credit for using a unique shape for the crest. 

I'm good with the name. It isn't overly Euro like some of the completely idiotic MLS club names - Sporting KC and Real Salt Lake being the worst offenders - and I was also worried about a potential nickname already being chosen.

I like that the flag and river and colors were incorporated but it's a little more modern and abstract and I prefer something a little more classic. The colors also are a few shades different - I'm not sure I like this red.

7 minutes ago, davidnark said:

I am fairly certain every MLS franchise goes through a similar exercise. If they didn't, their marketing people would be really bad at their job.

Right, my only hope (hope is too strong as I didn't even know this announcement was happening today) was that the colors and crest would be slightly more exciting to me, but I am not sure what could have been revealed that would have had me overly excited (as I posted before, I liked some of the more literal connections to the city flag I had seen mocked up). Unless you had Brazilian female soccer fans with the crest and colors painted on.

9 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

I think Carter's article really illuminated that an Americanized name was never going to be in the cards. Believe he pointed out that 1 of the last 12 MLS expansion teams have gone this route (Portland Timbers) while the rest have all followed the Euro/world soccer style. Definitely seems to be a directive from the top. 

https://carterchapleymedia.com/2020/08/05/its-time-to-get-real-the-stl-mls-franchise-will-not-have-an-americanized-nameand-thats-ok/

Plus, using a name that builds off the city/region allows the association to be emphasized and provides an opportunity for the team's supporters to organically develop an unofficial mascot or nickname (which is how Billiken became associated with SLU BTW).

Mound City Stars it isn't.

The official team colors are:

City Red

River Blue

Energy Yellow

Arch Steel Gray

If the words and outline were Baby Blue, and you flipped the Navy with the red, I'd prefer that. It isn't a big secret that Carolyn's favorite color is hot pink. She wishes it were even more pink than it is. The merchandise I have seen is much more red than pink but the color shades have varied.

City is understandable for a place that has done too many things fir too long from from the outside in rather than the inside out. 

It's fine.

On 7/30/2020 at 11:49 AM, DeSmetBilliken said:

and I think Manchester City was relegated and regained promotion at least once in the PL era.

ha, we were league 2 in the mid 90's and league 1 in the 2000's

18 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

And now they're the biggest club in Manchester and one of the two(ish?) best teams in the world, probably the favorite to win the champions league. 

Im still terrified of Munich. 

slufanskip likes this

2 hours ago, Littlebill said:

And now they're the biggest club in Manchester and one of the two(ish?) best teams in the world, probably the favorite to win the champions league. 

They always were the biggest club in Manchester, United are located in Salford. When Tevez moved from United to City they had a billboard which said 'Welcome to Manchester'.

22 minutes ago, Speyburn said:

They always were the biggest club in Manchester, United are located in Salford. When Tevez moved from United to City they had a billboard which said 'Welcome to Manchester'.

True, but That’s being more Technical. 

1 hour ago, TJHawk said:

How good is St.Louis area soccer compared to other cities in the Midwest?  Have we fallen behind?

Scott Gallagher might be the best club team in the country.