OT: MLS Announcement Tuesday: GOOOOOOL for STL.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

St. Louis (or Saint Louis not sure which spelling) is part of the name. No "STL", "Gateway", "Manchester Rd", "Delmar", "Granite City" etc. unfortunately.

what about Webster?? is Webster Groves in the name?!

2 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I need to try that Parkmoor burger. Have you seen that thing? My god it's breathtaking.

I’ve seen it but haven’t gotten there yet 

I'm pumped about Austin and STL both getting MLS teams.  I've gotten into soccer a lot more over this past year attended Real Madrid vs Espanyol back in DEC at Bernebeau and watching my adopted team Frankfurt Eintracht on FS1 on SAT or SUN.  I'm not the most knowledgeable fan but I'm learning a lot playing Football Manager 2020 that game is intense and complicated.

Anyway, I think I'm probably in the middle wave of Soccer fan converts.  

Austin went with FC.  I like the colors, I'm not sure what's up with the tree logo though.  I think the colors are the important thing and if I were an STL fan, I'd prefer a generic name with a nice kit and colors than some bad color scheme.  You have a generic name and some nickname can grow organically like Die Roten Teufels, Kaiserslatern FC, Die Adler (eagle) Frankfurt SGE,  or Bayer 04 Leverkusen: Die Werkself (11 company workers) you get it.

I'd start with the St. Louis flag as my inspiration and go from there.

You know what?  F it St. Louis River Sharks!

19 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'm pumped about Austin and STL both getting MLS teams.  I've gotten into soccer a lot more over this past year attended Real Madrid vs Espanyol back in DEC at Bernebeau and watching my adopted team Frankfurt Eintracht on FS1 on SAT or SUN.  I'm not the most knowledgeable fan but I'm learning a lot playing Football Manager 2020 that game is intense and complicated.

Anyway, I think I'm probably in the middle wave of Soccer fan converts.  

Austin went with FC.  I like the colors, I'm not sure what's up with the tree logo though.  I think the colors are the important thing and if I were an STL fan, I'd prefer a generic name with a nice kit and colors than some bad color scheme.  You have a generic name and some nickname can grow organically like Die Roten Teufels, Kaiserslatern FC, Die Adler (eagle) Frankfurt SGE,  or Bayer 04 Leverkusen: Die Werkself (11 company workers) you get it.

I'd start with the St. Louis flag as my inspiration and go from there.

You know what?  F it St. Louis River Sharks!

I played soccer through high school, but was always a more casual soccer fan. Followed the National team more than anything. But with American kids (as well as a kid or 2 from the STL area) starting to make good in Europe, I’ve started following it much more closely. Can’t wait for MLS4THELOU’s first game!

slufanskip and TheA_Bomb like this

43 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I've gotten into soccer a lot more over this past year attended Real Madrid vs Espanyol back in DEC at Bernebeau and watching

This will do it. I took my wife who hated soccer to Man city at Chelsea 2 years ago and she loves it now. Also awful game, lost 2-0 and a ton of fights, was amazing 

19 minutes ago, wgstl said:

This will do it. I took my wife who hated soccer to Man city at Chelsea 2 years ago and she loves it now. Also awful game, lost 2-0 and a ton of fights, was amazing 

I love soccer in TV but imo, it's so much better live especially for the fan that is still learning the game. You get a much better view of the entire field and the play as it develops. I can see fan who just watches games on TV and doesn't really understand it thinking a 1-0, 2-1, etc ... game is boring. However, when you see the entire play develop you get a better sense of the opportunities and the excitement of a play that looked like nothing on TV. I also think TV makes it look like players can't take pain and whine when nothing really happened. When in reality, let me take a hard cleat and just bring it down on your ankle at maybe a 20% of the possible force. It hurts even when you aren't hit hard. I know the over acting contributes to this but the players are much tougher than it seems. Also as previously noted the fan experience is so much fun with the supporter groups singing and chanting all game.

If anyone on here who is learning the game ( or even those that aren't lol) want to sit together to watch a game when SLU plays again, just let me know, I'd love to do it. 

courtside likes this

8 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I love soccer in TV but imo, it's so much better live especially for the fan that is still learning the game. You get a much better view of the entire field and the play as it develops. I can see fan who just watches games on TV and doesn't really understand it thinking a 1-0, 2-1, etc ... game is boring. However, when you see the entire play develop you get a better sense of the opportunities and the excitement of a play that looked like nothing on TV. I also think TV makes it look like players can't take pain and whine when nothing really happened. When in reality, let me take a hard cleat and just bring it down on your ankle at maybe a 20% of the possible force. It hurts even when you aren't hit hard. I know the over acting contributes to this but the players are much tougher than it seems. Also as previously noted the fan experience is so much fun with the supporter groups singing and chanting all game.

If anyone on here who is learning the game ( or even those that aren't lol) want to sit together to watch a game when SLU plays again, just let me know, I'd love to do it. 

Totally agree. The atmosphere alone at soccer games is worth the price of admission. I’ve been to World Cup Qualifiers and it was so much fun!

Zink and slufanskip like this

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Are you a Man City fan or Chelsea fan? I finally got back into the Premier League this season after a cool decade of not watching. I made the decision to watch as many teams as possible this year and then pick a team to follow. Would’ve been Fulham (saw McBride and Bocanegra play at Craven Cottage back in 2004) but it appears they were relegated a few yeas back. I won’t get into reasoning but after careful consideration I think I’m going with Chelsea. 

4 minutes ago, SLU let the dogs out?! said:

Are you a Man City fan or Chelsea fan? I finally got back into the Premier League this season after a cool decade of not watching. I made the decision to watch as many teams as possible this year and then pick a team to follow. Would’ve been Fulham (saw McBride and Bocanegra play at Craven Cottage back in 2004) but it appears they were relegated a few yeas back. I won’t get into reasoning but after careful consideration I think I’m going with Chelsea. 

I became a Chelsea fan just for Pulisic. He’s been on fire. Looking forward to watch them crush Arsenal in the FA Cup Final this weekend. If they win, the added bonus is that Kroenke owns Arsenal. I think Arsenal fans hate him even more than STL does, which is a pretty high bar.

6 minutes ago, SLU let the dogs out?! said:

I’m a city fan, got tickets for that In the away section at Chelsea which, not easy so it was amazing. 

chelsea is a good choice and honestly I think they finish 2nd next year with the latest signing. If not right there at 3rd

20 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I’m a city fan, got tickets for that In the away section at Chelsea which, not easy so it was amazing. 

chelsea is a good choice and honestly I think they finish 2nd next year with the latest signing. If not right there at 3rd

Wow yeah those tickets aren’t easy to get. I hope your wife was both impressed and turned on 😃

Liverpool and Man City would’ve been too easy to pick, I've never liked ManU, and I hate Arsenal for obvious reasons  Leicester City received consideration but at the end of the day picking Chelsea was an easy choice because of Pulisic and the rest of the squad. I love the mix of young guns (Pulisic, Mount, Abraham) and salty vets (Wilian, Alonso, and Giroud).

I lied. I did go into reasoning. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

They aren’t finishing above City and will only be above Liverpool if VVD misses time