OT: MLS Announcement Tuesday: GOOOOOOL for STL.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

The name is iffy, but everything else is nice.

That’s my take too. The name falls into the category of names made up to sound tough, edgy, cool, and original, and I don’t like those names generally. If MLS4THELOU went with something like that, I likely wouldn’t like it.

Seattle nailed the branding though.

I guess im the only one who absolutely hates everything about what Seattle did.  Name sucks, logo looks like a minor league team, jersey is one shade of blue off from the Jets, but I still like the color combo. 

The STL MLS name, logo, colors, etc. will be a brand they are building that will represent the team and city indefinitely. Think about what the Raiders brand stands for, the Yankees brand, Barcelona FC's brand, Liverpool's brand, the Celtics, Lakers, etc. A silly mascot or name is just something to sell kids' shirts and hats. The most important thing is that the name builds a brand that develops equity associated what the owners and community want to represent.  This is probably more important in professional soccer than any other support because the supporter's group and fans have a relationship with the team that is unlike anything seen in American professional sports. It is probably most akin to the relationship between high level college basketball teams and their student sections. I hope it isn't St. Louis FC, but I would embrace a name that represents inclusion in all regards. 

I'm all for a standard city-focused name that ignores a mascot/nickname, like St. Louis Soccer Club/Football Club. Make the crest incorporate the city's primary symbols, like the rivers, fleur de lis, and arch. Make the initial uniforms clean, classic, and based on city flag colors, which really pop. Having those three colors in addition to a white base gives you a ton of alternate uniform options, too.

I think you could put together a package starting from that and let the nickname develop organically from the fan base. The pressure to get the nickname/mascot right would also be removed up front, so it's one less thing to worry about getting right.

I would avoid the pretend Euro names that plague MLS. Starting with a simple base and letting your fan base craft its own identity is a better homage to more established international clubs, anyway.

thetorch likes this

On 7/24/2020 at 2:13 PM, davidnark said:

This is probably more important in professional soccer than any other support because the supporter's group and fans have a relationship with the team that is unlike anything seen in American professional sports.

I don't see how US professional soccer is inherently different in their relationship between fans and the team than any other major American sport.  Sure, I could see that argument being made about a team in Europe, where teams have existed for hundreds of years, but saying that those relationships between club and fan will just inherently happen here?  Not buying it.

Semi-blue font: maybe you buy the rights to the Battlehawks logo & branding, replace the sword with a ball and use the name SoccerHawks.  That name somehow became a kind of cult sensation with fans with the KaKaw stuff, etc.  You'd like to generate the same kind of fan enthusiasm, so why re-invent the wheel when there is likely readily available IP that isn't in use.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I would avoid the pretend Euro names that plague MLS. Starting with a simple base and letting your fan base craft its own identity is a better homage to more established international clubs, anyway.

IIRC when STL was trying to get a team the first time around, Peacock or someone else with the team said they were asked by MLS to avoid the fc,/united - euro trend.  I thought it was a great Idea to abort that, but then seeing Charlotte do it surprised me. 

1 hour ago, whitehenpantry said:

I don't see how US professional soccer is inherently different in their relationship between fans and the team than any other major American sport.  Sure, I could see that argument being made about a team in Europe, where teams have existed for hundreds of years, but saying that those relationships between club and fan will just inherently happen here?  Not buying it.

I am unaware of formal supporter sections at other US sports teams that consistently have thousands of members in a dedicated section of each stadium with organized cheers, flags, drumming, etc. These groups have organized pre-game events and marches. They create giant, wall-size banners called "tifos." They stand the whole game and are diverse, welcoming, and enthusiastic. After each match, the players walk over to them and saute and clap for then. NBA, MLB, and NHL have nothing akin to this across the league.  DC United, Portland, Seattle, Atlanta, and LAFC are among the best. Here is a video from LAFC's group: 

1 hour ago, NextYearBill said:

spoiler alert: Steamers

Have you heard something? Or speculating?

I had the thought last week that it would be cool if the team incorporated something related to the railroad or trains in its name. The stadium will be right by Union Station and is part of a revitalization of that part of downtown.