OT: MLS Announcement Tuesday: GOOOOOOL for STL.

On 7/18/2020 at 10:14 AM, HoosierPal said:

I believe Charlotte will be allowed to announce their name and crest first, followed by STL. So very likely no name announcement Monday.  Maybe some teasers?

The Charlotte name "finalists" are kind of crazy.  The Charlotte owner has filed for patent and trademark rights for the following names.  The "Charlotte Fortune FC" was an eighth name on the list, but has reportedly been crossed off already.

All Carolina FC
Carolina Gliders FC
Charlotte Athletic FC
Charlotte Crown FC
Charlotte FC
Charlotte Monarchs FC
Charlotte Town FC

interesting, I believe the MLS was wanting teams(expansion teams ) to move away from the SC, FC, united etc

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Saint Louis Olympique. Is what I really really hope it is. If it's stars or steamers I'm going to be extremely disappointed. First Olympics were in St. Louis. French heritage. Its a little bit futboly but not overly FC/ SC etc. Just makes perfect sense. 

This would be high on my list as well, though I’d prefer Olympique St. Louis. The frequent use of “City Name United/FC” seems bland, but I’d take that every time over some buzzwordy name made up by a marketing agency because they think it sounds cool and modern. I don’t want a team name like the Kansas City Wiz/Wizards, Dallas Burn, or San Jose Clash, which seemingly  were created to sound cool, tough, and edgy, and eventually were changed because those names were stupid. 

In Europe, they use the City Name United/FC thing, and a nickname for the team has developed over time. Liverpool is nicknamed The Reds, but they’re never labeled as the Liverpool Reds. 

If they name a nickname, I want it something pretty simple like Stars. Otherwise, I’d want the Olympique St. Louis option, or a derivation on the FC/SC/United option using Gateway or another identifier for the region. I’d be ecstatic with St. Louis Rovers, but I know that’s not happening. Names like Legacy, Confluence, and Rhythm don’t excite me. 

Most importantly, not the St. Louis Archers. That might be the most important thing to me.

Zink likes this

2 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

This would be high on my list as well, though I’d prefer Olympique St. Louis. The frequent use of “City Name United/FC” seems bland, but I’d take that every time over some buzzwordy name made up by a marketing agency because they think it sounds cool and modern. I don’t want a team name like the Kansas City Wiz/Wizards, Dallas Burn, or San Jose Clash, which seemingly  were created to sound cool, tough, and edgy, and eventually were changed because those names were stupid. 

In Europe, they use the City Name United/FC thing, and a nickname for the team has developed over time. Liverpool is nicknamed The Reds, but they’re never labeled as the Liverpool Reds. 

If they name a nickname, I want it something pretty simple like Stars. Otherwise, I’d want the Olympique St. Louis option, or a derivation on the FC/SC/United option using Gateway or another identifier for the region. I’d be ecstatic with St. Louis Rovers, but I know that’s not happening. Names like Legacy, Confluence, and Rhythm don’t excite me.

Count me in the opposite camp. I see no reason to mimic Europe. I love the Fire, Galaxy, Timbers, Revs, Rapids, Crew, etc. We  play soccer, not football.  We don’t say St Louis Cardinals BC. 

My personal first choice is also St. Louis Stars. 

3 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Most importantly, not the St. Louis Archers. That might be the most important thing to me.

A STL Legacy shield was trademarked by Bill McDermott not long ago. Don’t know if that was done on the club’s behalf or if he plans to use it himself in someway.  Since I saw it a week ago, I have been hoping it was for his own use.  I got the feeling he was used to trademark the name to avoid what happened in Charlotte and Legacy is going to be the name

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Count me in the opposite camp. I see no reason to mimic Europe. I love the Fire, Galaxy, Timbers, Revs, Rapids, Crew, etc. We  play soccer, not football.  We don’t say St Louis Cardinals BC. 

*no reason to mimic the rest of the world.

Fixed it for you.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

There are some team nicknames in MLS that are good. The ones you mentioned fall in that group. I just don’t want a name like the Montreal Impact or some of the names that have been replaced. Using prior names in St. Louis, I don’t want a name like the Storm, Ambush, or Battlehawks either. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

A STL Legacy shield was trademarked by Bill McDermott not long ago. Don’t know if that was done on the club’s behalf or if he plans to use it himself in someway.  Since I saw it a week ago, I have been hoping it was for his own use.  I got the feeling he was used to trademark the name to avoid what happened in Charlotte and Legacy is going to be the name

McDermott has been trying to make Legacy happen since the announced the team. For what it’s worth, I think I saw Ben Frederickson of the P-D mention on Twitter that he had heard of a few names that were not the team name, and Legacy was one of those names.

Zink, brianstl and Littlebill like this

17 hours ago, brianstl said:

This is shield Mr. Soccer trademarked along with the name Legacy St. L.

D20A4DAA-C2A4-475A-97EE-195413EB32E7.jpeg

Thank the lord he has no decision making power. Yikes - that is bad.

Like terrible, among some of the worst in the world. The Legacy would be the worst team branding on earth.

brianstl likes this

17 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

McDermott has been trying to make Legacy happen since the announced the team. For what it’s worth, I think I saw Ben Frederickson of the P-D mention on Twitter that he had heard of a few names that were not the team name, and Legacy was one of those names.

Correct:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I don’t know the team name. I do know some of the names that are not the team name. That’s one of them. <a href="https://t.co/O33q93nNDy">https://t.co/O33q93nNDy</a></p>&mdash; Ben Frederickson (@Ben_Fred) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ben_Fred/status/1285283307379462152?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 20, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'll take any variation of a name that can become a symbol and mechanism to invite diversity and regional inclusion. This could be STL United, 1764 STL United, STL Gateway United, STL Confluence, etc. Atlanta United has used this brand for this exact purpose, and the result is truly amazing. I have no desire for another mascot-based team name such as Cardinals, Rams, Steamers, Stars, etc. 

4 hours ago, davidnark said:

I'll take any variation of a name that can become a symbol and mechanism to invite diversity and regional inclusion. This could be STL United, 1764 STL United, STL Gateway United, STL Confluence, etc. Atlanta United has used this brand for this exact purpose, and the result is truly amazing. I have no desire for another mascot-based team name such as Cardinals, Rams, Steamers, Stars, etc. 

Confluence is the best name that I have heard.