OT: MLS Announcement Tuesday: GOOOOOOL for STL.

Everyone on this board who wouldn't jump at the chance to get the mighty Chargers of Los Angeles here in the Lou is an absolute idiot. Are you guys kidding me? Forget that they are a doormat franchise with only 19 playoff appearances (AFL era included!) in 60 years of existence, forget that they have 0 championships to their name, forget that they can't sell out a 27,000 person MLS stadium, forget that their horrible owner would smack a baby for a buck. This is the N-F-L you guys.

Shame on you all for speaking ill of The Almighty Shield. We should be honored they are even considering moving a team to St. Louis after the terrible way we treated our last owner. Do what we have to do, spend what we have to spend, let's get America's game back in Gateway City. 

(F*** the NFL and F*** the Chargers/Rams - Real talk though, I love those powder blue uniforms, best thing the Chargers have going for them) 

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

Everyone on this board who wouldn't jump at the chance to get the mighty Chargers of Los Angeles here in the Lou is an absolute idiot. Are you guys kidding me? Forget that they are a doormat franchise with only 19 playoff appearances (AFL era included!) in 60 years of existence, forget that they have 0 championships to their name, forget that they can't sell out a 27,000 person MLS stadium, forget that their horrible owner would smack a baby for a buck. This is the N-F-L you guys.

Shame on you all for speaking ill of The Almighty Shield. We should be honored they are even considering moving a team to St. Louis after the terrible way we treated our last owner. Do what we have to do, spend what we have to spend, let's get America's game back in Gateway City. 

(F*** the NFL and F*** the Chargers/Rams - Real talk though, I love those powder blue uniforms, best thing the Chargers have going for them) 

-I disagree, this part of the organization was high quality

image.png.3ab0b64352bd24f364d19cec983b52d8.png

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

I agree.

For those with kids will you let your child play football?

Most of my buddies, who are all sport junkies, aren’t going to let their kids play.

I’m thinking this is a growing trend and is going to hurt the NFL down the line.

As soon as the CTE studies starting getting released, my wife and I agreed there was zero chance we would let our boys play football. (Not that either of them have the right build and attitude for it anyway.)

When I was a freshman at SLUH over 30 years ago, we had about 55 kids on the freshmen football team, and a similar number on each of the JV and Varsity teams. Now, there is no freshmen team, and they have to find players to ensure they have enough freshmen and sophomores for the JV team. I know that a number of the schools can now only field Varsity teams, and smaller schools have dropped football all together. 

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Agree.   Havent watched an nfl game in 2 years and dont miss it a bit.   TCM great movies on Sunday afternoons

Haven't watched since they announced they were leaving. I let my mom and brother watch the Cowboys on Thanksgiving when they were visiting but said they'd have to go to sports bar for any other games. Yep, I'm one of those a$$holes

billiken_roy likes this

3 hours ago, prebilliken said:

then i am an idiot.   f the nfl

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Re: Chargers rumors-source says Never heard anything about it and finds it highly unlikely.  Hard to imagine that the League would capitulate beyond cash, which we probably need more in the region than a team.</p>&mdash; Randy Karraker (@RandyKarraker) <a href="https://twitter.com/RandyKarraker/status/1183953062722977793?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 15, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I heard yet another NFL game was ruined by the officiating last night. 

20 hours ago, dlarry said:

I agree.

Most of my buddies, who are all sport junkies, aren’t going to let their kids play.

I’m thinking this is a growing trend and is going to hurt the NFL down the line.

20 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

They will either kill the game by changing the rules to make the game so "safe" they lose fans due to boredom with the product or fans start to make an "ethical" decision not to patronize the NFL because of the danger to its players. As long as there are people who can use football to elevate their economic situation the NFL and football will remain popular especially in lower income communities.

20 hours ago, Box and Won said:

I would probably allow my son to play if he wanted to, although I don't think he ever would. 

But I do agree that the sport is trending in the wrong direction.  Numbers appear to be down at many high schools in the STL area, and I've noticed games occasionally being cancelled due to lack of players.  Maplewood-Richmond Heights even discontinued its program a few years ago (not long after Bryant Allen led them to a state championship).

19 hours ago, davidnark said:

As soon as the CTE studies starting getting released, my wife and I agreed there was zero chance we would let our boys play football. (Not that either of them have the right build and attitude for it anyway.)

When I was a freshman at SLUH over 30 years ago, we had about 55 kids on the freshmen football team, and a similar number on each of the JV and Varsity teams. Now, there is no freshmen team, and they have to find players to ensure they have enough freshmen and sophomores for the JV team. I know that a number of the schools can now only field Varsity teams, and smaller schools have dropped football all together. 

We've already decided our son won't be playing football. Minds were made up well before he was born. Here in Cincinnati, HS football is king - it's like a small town in the south, but with way more high schools. And his grandfather is really pushing for him to go to St. Xavier, the local Jesuit football powerhouse. My FIL didn't play but his dad, brother, and uncles all played there. But my son won't be playing, and the majority of our friends and family here say their sons won't be playing, either.

I don't know what the youth football infrastructure is like in STL now, but playing before HS wasn't even an option when I was growing up. Some Catholic schools have teams here starting in first grade! The teams are 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, and 7th and 8th combine for "varsity". It's insane. He won't be at one of these schools, so hopefully not being around it as a kid means he won't want to play when he gets to HS. I've heard participation numbers are down here but the sport and culture around it are still huge, so it hasn't shown up yet in terms of schools downsizing programs.

As for the point @billikenfan05 makes, I think this indeed is going to play out along socioeconomic lines for the foreseeable future, with lower income urban and rural communities propping up a huge proportion the sport's participation numbers, but I'm also seeing a culture war forming around this sport more than any other. Plenty of middle class suburban families will continue to participate (for now, anyway) because of certain hallmarks of football culture - traditional physical masculinity, militaristic-style teaching and discipline, etc. One of the only guys around my age I know here who encouraged his son to play (he's on his grade school "varsity" team as an 8th grader) said he doesn't want him becoming a "pu$$y" and said that any hard hits to his head "will just help straighten him out because he's already got a few screws loose." He lives in a part of town where every boy plays football and they fit right in, whereas they'd be an oddity in my neighborhood, where I literally have not met one family that has a football playing son.

rgbilliken likes this

22 hours ago, dlarry said:

I agree.

I don't have kids but have one on the way - I was kind of on the side of "if our kid really really wants to play football I'm not going to stop them." My husband, who played football, was the one who said absolutely not. He only played up through high school and suffered multiple concussions, and his knees, ribs, and shoulders are not what a 31 year old guy's should be like at this stage because of it.

5 hours ago, Pistol said:

We've already decided our son won't be playing football. Minds were made up well before he was born. Here in Cincinnati, HS football is king - it's like a small town in the south, but with way more high schools. And his grandfather is really pushing for him to go to St. Xavier, the local Jesuit football powerhouse. My FIL didn't play but his dad, brother, and uncles all played there. But my son won't be playing, and the majority of our friends and family here say their sons won't be playing, either.

I don't know what the youth football infrastructure is like in STL now, but playing before HS wasn't even an option when I was growing up. Some Catholic schools have teams here starting in first grade! The teams are 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, and 7th and 8th combine for "varsity". It's insane. He won't be at one of these schools, so hopefully not being around it as a kid means he won't want to play when he gets to HS. I've heard participation numbers are down here but the sport and culture around it are still huge, so it hasn't shown up yet in terms of schools downsizing programs.

As for the point @billikenfan05 makes, I think this indeed is going to play out along socioeconomic lines for the foreseeable future, with lower income urban and rural communities propping up a huge proportion the sport's participation numbers, but I'm also seeing a culture war forming around this sport more than any other. Plenty of middle class suburban families will continue to participate (for now, anyway) because of certain hallmarks of football culture - traditional physical masculinity, militaristic-style teaching and discipline, etc. One of the only guys around my age I know here who encouraged his son to play (he's on his grade school "varsity" team as an 8th grader) said he doesn't want him becoming a "pu$$y" and said that any hard hits to his head "will just help straighten him out because he's already got a few screws loose." He lives in a part of town where every boy plays football and they fit right in, whereas they'd be an oddity in my neighborhood, where I literally have not met one family that has a football playing son.

Times have changed in the Stl. Many more schools have kids that played youth/grade school football.  

Recently CBC, a top 5 or so Stl area team this season (DeSmet, East St. Louis etc...are a bit better than them this year) played a top 10 Division 2 Cincinnati school, Winton Woods,  (2nd largest Ohio Division out of 6) and CBC won 42-31.  The kids at the private schools and top public programs all have had several years of youth football experience. Some of the kids are bigger and faster and more skilled than ever.  Many more good coaches out there too. Better college football opportunities. 

In the old days, Stl had skill positions and speed, but couldn’t control line up scrimmage and didn’t have the physicality of some of those schools of the other parts of state. That changed a while back too. 

It of course isn’t Ohio, nor close to it, but it’s progressed a lot. 

Pistol likes this

4 hours ago, rgbilliken said:

I don't have kids but have one on the way - I was kind of on the side of "if our kid really really wants to play football I'm not going to stop them." My husband, who played football, was the one who said absolutely not. He only played up through high school and suffered multiple concussions, and his knees, ribs, and shoulders are not what a 31 year old guy's should be like at this stage because of it.

This is very similar to my household.  I have three sons.  Wife doesn't care one way or the other if they play or not.  I have said 'heck no' to them playing.

I played up through high school and have had several concussions, and still have terrible knee problems.  They play soccer, basketball, baseball, volleyball, and they're runners...but football is a big nope.

Concussions aside, in high school an opponent was paralyzed on a kickoff return.  The kid on my team who laid the hit wasn't particularly big, fast, strong etc; but the kid fell just right (wrong).  Same could be said for any sport where landing the wrong way could end in the same result; these things just happen more in football IMO.

6 hours ago, Pistol said:

FWIW, my boss was a Division 1 football player at Baylor (pre-any scandals so that weren't that good, but still, D1 football is D1 football). He and his twin brother, who is also a VP at my company, were both big Texas HS legends back in their day. Football is religion down here. Regardless, they both have young boys now, they emphatically state that they won't let their sons play tackle football until the 8th grade. 

To add to that Brett Favre is now a huge advocate of starting full contact ball later, around HS. The Manning brothers didn't play full contact until the 9th grade. These guys are all tougher/better athletes then I ever got even close to obviously, if they don't believe their sons playing full-contact football until far later than traditionally is the call, who am I to dispute it? 

Pistol likes this

7 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

#1 Concussion sport, of course is football

#2 Concussion sport, woman's soccer (about 75% of the football totals per 10,000 athletes)

#3 Concussion sport, men's hockey

The risk in football isn't necessarily caused by concussions. CTE is caused by small, repeated banging in the head. Helmets actually enable this problem. Lineman are at the biggest risk.The longer a kid plays, the greater the risk regardless of level. 

https://www.bumc.bu.edu/busm/2018/01/18/study-hits-not-concussions-cause-cte/

It will be interesting to see where football is in 20 years.

I played HS football in the mid 90s.  A few years back we had a reunion of sorts for our 94 state title appearance.  I'd say 80% of the guys said there was no way they were letting their kids play football.  My children will not play football.  I can't count how many concussions I had not too mention knee issues.  Anything I got from football could have been achieved focusing on another fall sport while not having lingering injuries down the road.  Just not worth it.

Not sure if it's true but boy did it ever produce a robust cackle out of me:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">According to a source close to <a href="https://twitter.com/dpshow?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@dpshow</a>, the Rams&#39; new stadium is expected to cost $5 Billion (originally $2.5 Billion) and the NFL wants the players to chip in for the billions of dollars in cost overruns. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AUDIENCEsports?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#AUDIENCEsports</a> <a href="https://t.co/YHpMLla9IV">pic.twitter.com/YHpMLla9IV</a></p>&mdash; AUDIENCE Sports (@AudienceSports) <a href="https://twitter.com/AudienceSports/status/1184503441978036225?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 16, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Not sure if it's true but boy did it ever produce a robust cackle out of me:

According to a source close to @dpshow, the Rams' new stadium is expected to cost $5 Billion (originally $2.5 Billion) and the NFL wants the players to chip in for the billions of dollars in cost overruns. #AUDIENCEsports pic.twitter.com/YHpMLla9IV

— AUDIENCE Sports (@AudienceSports) October 16, 2019

This is all over twitter. Thus it must be true. 

-however Stan gets screwed is good,  I'm guessing the NFLPA would chip in for a proper ownership percentage of the stadium or would this be too conflicting? would get them great access to financial records.....that I'm also guessing they will see in the StL lawsuit 

22 hours ago, davidnark said:

The risk in football isn't necessarily caused by concussions. CTE is caused by small, repeated banging in the head. Helmets actually enable this problem. Lineman are at the biggest risk.The longer a kid plays, the greater the risk regardless of level. 

https://www.bumc.bu.edu/busm/2018/01/18/study-hits-not-concussions-cause-cte/

Can't "good post" a moderator, so +1.

My somewhat-conspiracy theory is that the NFL makes a big deal about concussion protocol and safety to distract from the main driver of CTE - the very nature of the sport.

Zink likes this

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Still looks like a greenhouse, which will be a nightmare when it's 95 degrees in St. Louis.

Not to worry. Qatar is now air conditioning the "outdoors", including their soccer stadium. Our new stadium looks like it will have all the bells and whistles.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/world/climate-environment/climate-change-qatar-air-conditioning-outdoors/