OT: MLS Announcement Tuesday: GOOOOOOL for STL.

3 hours ago, courtside said:

Articles like that actually make me chuckle a little because it completely ignores the actual reality of the situation across the vast majority of the largest cities and their suburbs in the US, that includes Atlanta and St. Louis.  Cities are becoming more white, less racially/ethnically diverse and less economically diverse.  You have an increasingly upper income white population moving into cities displacing middle class African Americans and middle class Hispanics.  The situation is even more exacerbated in the core of cities.  

The share of the population of the city of Atlanta that is white has gone from 31.3% in 2000 to 40.1% in 2018 according to Census Bureau.  During that time period the share of African Americans in the city has dropped from 57.4% to 52.3%.  Whites are responsible for 78% of the city of Atlanta's population growth since 2000.  

While similar patterns of white gentrification of cities across the country occur, the suburbs of those cities are becoming more diverse both racially/ethnically and economically.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

OT:

There was a STRONG rumor floating around in recent weeks that the #NFL had “offered” the city of St. Louis the franchise....

F.ck the NFL. 

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

OT:

There was a STRONG rumor floating around in recent weeks that the #NFL had “offered” the city of St. Louis the franchise....

I saw this tweet as well. Unless their is a reasonable plan to update the actual stadium portions of the dome and an owner willing to support the team here, I don't see how this would work. I don't see any scenario whether there is public support for a new football stadium.  

6 minutes ago, davidnark said:

I saw this tweet as well. Unless their is a reasonable plan to update the actual stadium portions of the dome and an owner willing to support the team here, I don't see how this would work. I don't see any scenario whether there is public support for a new football stadium.  

agreed,  I think this is the NFL trying to please the city before those court hearings next month in st louis. 

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

agreed,  I think this is the NFL trying to please the city before those court hearings next month in st louis. 

Bingo. 

Do people in St. Louis think things would be different this time if we had an NFL team? Another city's NFL team (again!)? What's the definition of 'insanity'?

The NFL is one of the most corrupt leagues in all of sports. It's giving FIFA a run for its money. 

Settle (for nothing less than half a billion dollars) or take your chances in court. Odds are in our favor.

Spoon-Balls likes this

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I would take the Chargers.  I don't think it is going to happen, but if it did the NFL would have to be giving Spanos some funding for a stadium or a stadium upgrade to agree to it.

I have totally given up on the NFL. Haven't watched   a game other then the Super Bowl in 2 years. That said I would love to have a team. 

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

I would take the Chargers.  I don't think it is going to happen, but if it did the NFL would have to be giving Spanos some funding for a stadium or a stadium upgrade to agree to it.

Just funding for a stadium?

What guarantee do you have that Spanos won't do the same thing Kroenke did if a better opportunity comes along 10-15 years down the road? An existing franchise with zero ties to our region is a huge mistake. Sure, type up a bunch of guarantees in a contract. I'm sure the league will abide by them in 2 decades....

3 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

They're panicking...

If this is really going on behind the scenes right now, there must be a bunch of NFL owners that are still pissed about how it all went down.  There was a group at the time that were really angry about how the Spanos family was dealt with in a process they thought was rigged for Stan.  Those owners trying to make things right for Spanos could be using this case as a way to do it.

Just now, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Just funding for a stadium?

What guarantee do you have that Spanos won't do the same thing Kroenke did if a better opportunity comes along 10-15 years down the road? An existing franchise with zero ties to our region is a huge mistake. Sure, type up a bunch of guarantees in a contract. I'm sure the league will abide by them in 2 decades....

If there is no public money involved in the deal, I don't care about a guarantee.  Plus the last thing Dean Spanos is going to want to do is to relocate his team a third time.  

Ive moved on from the NFL, but I would gladly take a team and get back into it. But I like many are in good spot,  I dont have to have an NFL team.  

Im still pretty convinced the NFL wont be what it once was in another 15 years.  City could really do well with the lawsuit money and straighten itself out. 

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If there is no public money involved in the deal, I don't care about a guarantee.  Plus the last thing Dean Spanos is going to want to do is to relocate his team a third time.  

Paying off the dome and using money from the settlement to upgrade the convention center would put more money into city coffers than any NFL team playing there 10 times a year would. Let's be honest, having an NFL team is just a box we can check off on our social status list. I'd rather invest in something that will generate a return for our region.

These owners care about their bottom line. If moving a third time makes economic sense for the Spanos family I'm guessing he'll move a third time.  Although I guess an empty riverfront stadium would look better than what we have there currently.

I also think the NFL that we know today will not exist in 15-20 years.

JMM28 and TheChosenOne like this

6 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Paying off the dome and using money from the settlement to upgrade the convention center would put more money into city coffers than any NFL team playing there 10 times a year would. Let's be honest, having an NFL team is just a box we can check off on our social status list. I'd rather invest in something that will generate a return for our region.

These owners care about their bottom line. If moving a third time makes economic sense for the Spanos family I'm guessing he'll move a third time.  Although I guess an empty riverfront stadium would look better than what we have there currently.

I also think the NFL that we know today will not exist in 15-20 years.

I actually always thought the plan Kroenke presented to redo the dome was the better plan.  Now the way Kroenke wanted that to be paid for was a joke, but a dome redone to bring it up to the standards of other new domes is much more attractive for St. Louis overall than another outdoor stadium.  If the NFL is looking to settle this with the Chargers coming to St. Louis get them to agree to paying cost to redo the dome and get a Super Bowl commitment out of them.  Plus, you would get a building that could get into a regular Final Four rotation and maybe even snag the SEC Championship game for a year.  Getting a modern dome out of the deal would be bigger for me than the getting the NFL back.  A modern dome can get you events that can have a real economic impact on the region.  

Use a possible settlement as something more than just punishing the NFL, but as a way to help the region. 

cgeldmacher likes this

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

F.ck the NFL. 

Agree.   Havent watched an nfl game in 2 years and dont miss it a bit.   TCM great movies on Sunday afternoons

19 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I actually always thought the plan Kroenke presented to redo the dome was the better plan.  Now the way Kroenke wanted that to be paid for was a joke, but a dome redone to bring it up to the standards of other new domes is much more attractive for St. Louis overall than another outdoor stadium.  If the NFL is looking to settle this with the Chargers coming to St. Louis get them to agree to paying cost to redo the dome and get a Super Bowl commitment out of them.  Plus, you would get a building that could get into a regular Final Four rotation and maybe even snag the SEC Championship game for a year.  Getting a modern dome out of the deal would be bigger for me than the getting the NFL back.  A modern dome can get you events that can have a real economic impact on the region.  

Use a possible settlement as something more than just punishing the NFL, but as a way to help the region. 

I agree, a modern dome (without an NFL tenant) that could be used to host sporting events and conventions year-round* would be huge. Which is precisely why I'd settle or take them to court and use the money to pay off existing debt and upgrade the convention center/dome. Has anyone seen Nashville's convention center? Whoa mama is it nice.

*(I know you already know this, Brian) When the Rams played at the Dome, the CVC (or whoever was responsible) was unable to schedule conventions August-January, as these conventions are booked long before the NFL releases its schedule. That is almost half the year. They were giving up a lot of money. Just to put this in perspective, a 4 day robotics convention attracts 30,000 people to our city. That is 30,000 people in hotels (X 4 nights), eating in our restaurants, renting cars, taking public transportation, spending money. That's half the home games played at the Dome each year in just 1 week. The typical Rams fan on Sunday lived in the region (no hotel needed), tailgated (did not spend money on dining), and then drove home immediately following the game.  8-10 days a year.

brianstl likes this

46 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Im still pretty convinced the NFL wont be what it once was in another 15 years.  

I agree.

For those with kids will you let your child play football?

Most of my buddies, who are all sport junkies, aren’t going to let their kids play.

I’m thinking this is a growing trend and is going to hurt the NFL down the line.

17 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I agree.

Most of my buddies, who are all sport junkies, aren’t going to let their kids play.

I’m thinking this is a growing trend and is going to hurt the NFL down the line.

They will either kill the game by changing the rules to make the game so "safe" they lose fans due to boredom with the product or fans start to make an "ethical" decision not to patronize the NFL because of the danger to its players. As long as there are people who can use football to elevate their economic situation the NFL and football will remain popular especially in lower income communities.

Bills71 likes this

16 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I agree.

I would probably allow my son to play if he wanted to, although I don't think he ever would. 

But I do agree that the sport is trending in the wrong direction.  Numbers appear to be down at many high schools in the STL area, and I've noticed games occasionally being cancelled due to lack of players.  Maplewood-Richmond Heights even discontinued its program a few years ago (not long after Bryant Allen led them to a state championship).

This article made me laugh.  It touches on the fact that the stadium construction cost have almost doubled on Kroenke, how relocation payments are now due and how the Charges are charging cheap fees for PSLs and luxury suites because the Chargers only get to keep 18.75% of that money with the rest going to Kroenke for construction.   The Chargers can then charge a higher ticket price for their seats while keeping the overall cost down and the Chargers will keep 100% of the ticket money while only paying $1 rent to use the stadium.

https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topics/sports/nine-things-to-know-about-stan-kroenkes-chargers-predicament/

41 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I agree.

Webster High barely have enough for just a varsity team, they already had to scrap the JV team.  A large chuck of kids jumped over to the soccer side, probably our best program now.