OT: MLS Announcement Tuesday: GOOOOOOL for STL.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, hoppybeer said:

The team is in St. Louis, does it really matter if anyone outside of St. Louis get's it?

Yes. We want to sound like a legitimate organization, not a rec league team. A name like Archers skews towards the rec league category and makes us look less legitimate in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

the 64s...I think I may like that even better: The St. Louis/Saint Louis 64s. Rolls right off the tongue. Whatever happens, the St. Louis flag colors/symbol must be incorporated.

If you want a name to have “St. Louis inside joke” potential, while also looking outwardly legitimate, this should be the name.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.kmov.com/sports/survey-what-should-st-louis-name-its-mls-team/article_160ea108-e552-11e9-9b64-872421e77cfb.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

you can now submit your idea for a name.  After hearing someone on here(forgot who) I absolutely love the 1764.

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

https://www.kmov.com/sports/survey-what-should-st-louis-name-its-mls-team/article_160ea108-e552-11e9-9b64-872421e77cfb.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

you can now submit your idea for a name.  After hearing someone on here(forgot who) I absolutely love the 1764.

I like SC 1764 also. Just submitted that through the link. I suggest everyone who likes this submit it. Click on the article above and it'll give you a link to make a suggestion

wgstl likes this

36 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I also wrote in 1764 St. Louis/St. Louis 1764. I also begged them to not name the team the “Archers”

17 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I also wrote in 1764 St. Louis/St. Louis 1764. I also begged them to not name the team the “Archers”

I'm right there with you on liking 1764 and disliking Archers. Legacy really bothers me as well.

Other names mentioned that I don't mind are: Saint Louis City, Olympique Saint Louis, and Saint Louis Confluence is sort of growing on me. 

SC 1764 is nice.   Austin's new franchise is FC Austin which is not unique.  The Crest is a tree not sure why,  Austin isn't particularly known for trees.   Unless you count cedar trees which are a problem because everyone gets cedar fever.  The colors are green and black which I like. 

STL MLS colors like the STL flag would lend itself to a nice kit.

With this expansion of MLS to St. Louis and Austin it's drawn me into being a soccer fan.   Pulling for Eintracht in Bundesliga and I'll be in Madrid watching a game 8 December (Real vs. Espanyol).   So mission accomplished MLS.

slufanskip likes this

19 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

SC 1764 is nice.   Austin's new franchise is FC Austin which is not unique.  The Crest is a tree not sure why,  Austin isn't particularly known for trees.   Unless you count cedar trees which are a problem because everyone gets cedar fever.  The colors are green and black which I like. 

STL MLS colors like the STL flag would lend itself to a nice kit.

With this expansion of MLS to St. Louis and Austin it's drawn me into being a soccer fan.   Pulling for Eintracht in Bundesliga and I'll be in Madrid watching a game 8 December (Real vs. Espanyol).   So mission accomplished MLS.

I've yet to see a city flag cooler than the St. Louis city flag. Would be a huge mistake not to incorporate it into the name (Confluence?) or the kits somehow. Sorry, uniforms. 

As an Austinite , I would have pushed for the Austin MCCs in honor of their hunky minority owner Matthew Mcconaughey. That name would've been alright alright alright.

I spent a week in Atlanta last month for work, and I absolutely loved what the Atlanta United brand has become for that city. In the urban Atlanta core, the brand was everywhere -- on sides of buildings, t-shirts, fire hydrants, bars and restaurants, flags flying from apartments, etc. The brand represents more than just a soccer team and has come to represent the best of Atlanta coming together in what feels very grassroots and authentic. The "united" stands for locals and transplants and people of all ages, races, and backgrounds. It effectively, equates for inclusion and diversity. By contrast, the Braves were hardly present in the city and portray a very dated brand.

I would love a St. Louis United/St. Louis Confluence-like name that becomes a brand for inclusion, diversity, and St. Louis coming together. 

19 hours ago, davidnark said:

I spent a week in Atlanta last month for work, and I absolutely loved what the Atlanta United brand has become for that city. In the urban Atlanta core, the brand was everywhere -- on sides of buildings, t-shirts, fire hydrants, bars and restaurants, flags flying from apartments, etc. The brand represents more than just a soccer team and has come to represent the best of Atlanta coming together in what feels very grassroots and authentic. The "united" stands for locals and transplants and people of all ages, races, and backgrounds. It effectively, equates for inclusion and diversity. By contrast, the Braves were hardly present in the city and portray a very dated brand.

I would love a St. Louis United/St. Louis Confluence-like name that becomes a brand for inclusion, diversity, and St. Louis coming together. 

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/10/03/atlanta-braves-united-fanbases