OT: MLS Announcement Tuesday: GOOOOOOL for STL.

40 minutes ago, QUAILMAN said:

St. Louis Toasted Ravs
St. Louis Asian Carp Invaders
St. Louis Megan Ellyia-Green's
St. Louis Battlehawks
St. Louis City, NOT COUNTY!!!
St. Louis Clydesdales

I've seen several tweets suggesting Provel FC, which is pretty hilarious (despite my dislike of "FC" names).

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang.  Lots of hate against "Euro" style names. Which I understand somewhat. For example, why the heck is Salt Lake, Real Salt Lake. There's never been a monarchy in Utah as far as I know.

However, I would actually argue that these names are not "Euro-style" as much as the soccer nomenclature. It's not as much as American vs Europe, it's soccer vs football, baseball and hockey. Is it wrong to say that soccer originated in England and teams are named similarly, while baseball originate here and teams in Japan are named in similar "American-style?" 

These names can be quite lazy, but I don't see them as inherently wrong. 

Also, seems like there is a lot of confusion between team/club/organization names and team nicknames. Some people are talking about nicknames like Archers and Stars, while others are talking about 1764 St Louis. FC Schalke 04 is the name, but they have nicknames of the "Royal Blues" and "The Miners"

majerus mojo likes this

I have seen a lot of hate on the board for “Archers”, and I was wondering why people do not like it. I liked it because the Arch is a major part of what people think of with Stl, and I like the option of a double entendre: Archenemy or literally archers in archery. Would you like it more if it was the Archers and you knew that the Chicago team would be the archenemy? What if it was Arch Defenders, like the pro bono law firm?

majerus mojo likes this

9 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I have seen a lot of hate on the board for “Archers”, and I was wondering why people do not like it. I liked it because the Arch is a major part of what people think of with Stl, and I like the option of a double entendre: Archenemy or literally archers in archery. Would you like it more if it was the Archers and you knew that the Chicago team would be the archenemy? What if it was Arch Defenders, like the pro bono law firm?

I don’t like it because I think it’s cheesy and forced. Plus, I thought it was lame when somebody suggested that name for a team over 25 years ago in an issue of Sports Illustrated for Kids. If I as a somewhat dorky 8 or 9 year old could figure out that it was lame, you know it’s bad.

On 8/21/2019 at 1:19 PM, NH said:

But I think your attitude is a little more aggressive on this issue than it probably deserves. 

Who, ‘05??

1 hour ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I don’t like it because I think it’s cheesy and forced. Plus, I thought it was lame when somebody suggested that name for a team over 25 years ago in an issue of Sports Illustrated for Kids. If I as a somewhat dorky 8 or 9 year old could figure out that it was lame, you know it’s bad.

People forget that a majority of sports team names are like.. just animals and war references. There’s maybe a dozen clever nicknames in all of sports (Steelers, 49ers, Astros, Avalanche). The double, or apparently triple entendre (arch-enemies) of Archers could definitely be worse. 

Saint/St. Louis Olympique is my vote. First ever American Olympics were here. Got some French ties to it. I guess it kinda steals from the olympique lyonnaiss but whatever. And agree that we should have a 'euro' style name. Soccer is global. Which is why I dislike archers. Sounds too much like an American sports team.

2 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Is an Archer a guy who climbs an Arch? Archers makes me think of bow and arrow which has no relation to St. Louis. 

On 8/20/2019 at 12:16 PM, Pistol said:

Especially when you were the fastest to ever score 100 goals in MLS history and got a concussion - your seventh! - and continued to play the rest of the game and the next eight weeks without seeking medical help and then once you did, you realized it was too late and your career would be cut off at the age of 28 and then you decided to start a foundation to educate young players about traumatic brain injury. Seems like that guy doesn't have a valuable perspective to share at all.

My best source on Taylor Twellman said he was such a fk up at Maryland that - despite his stellar on field play - he was asked not to come back (combination of grades, off the field behavior)

He went to Germany (Munich 1860) and couldn't advance from the reserve minor league team, then promptly came back to the states and led the MLS in scoring his first year...which is an amazing comeback story...but his career was short

Regardless, in December of 2016 Taylor Twellman went on a media tour boosting the orignal (Dave Peacock) MLS bid and Twellman said on the radio that "If St Louis gets an MLS team, the Blues will be in trouble"...which was a ludicrous statement in the moment, but is even more ludicrous now.

Good kid. Bounced back from adversity to play at a high level. Victim of lack of concussion protocol. Advocate for better concussion protocol. U-High what what. But let's not act like he's any kind of authority on sheeeeet. I had to turn it off when he was the first speaker. I can't take him seriously.

2 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Saint/St. Louis Olympique is my vote. First ever American Olympics were here. Got some French ties to it. I guess it kinda steals from the olympique lyonnaiss but whatever. And agree that we should have a 'euro' style name. Soccer is global. Which is why I dislike archers. Sounds too much like an American sports team.

Well now I have to post this 

3 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I like this one, though I probably go with Olympic/Olympique St. Louis.

5 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Nobody outside of StL will understand it.  It is kind of like a joke that you have to explain then it is not a good joke.

5 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Is an Archer a guy who climbs an Arch? Archers makes me think of bow and arrow which has no relation to St. Louis. 

Agree

Archers sounds too "hokey".   We St. Louisans are naturally proud of the Gateway Arch but this is too strong or in your face.  Most like to see the Arch in the background of a stadium shot/photo shot, would probably like to see the Arch incorporated into the logo, or added to the jerseys, or patterned on the grass as the Cardinals have done... but we are more than the Arch -- and not bow and arrow hunters. Double entendre?  Not buying that.   Instead, 1764 adds to our old, rich, French history of St. Louis - and if not 1764, something along these lines would be good with me.   

12 hours ago, Duff Man said:

My best source on Taylor Twellman said he was such a fk up at Maryland that - despite his stellar on field play - he was asked not to come back (combination of grades, off the field behavior)

He went to Germany (Munich 1860) and couldn't advance from the reserve minor league team, then promptly came back to the states and led the MLS in scoring his first year...which is an amazing comeback story...but his career was short

Regardless, in December of 2016 Taylor Twellman went on a media tour boosting the orignal (Dave Peacock) MLS bid and Twellman said on the radio that "If St Louis gets an MLS team, the Blues will be in trouble"...which was a ludicrous statement in the moment, but is even more ludicrous now.

Good kid. Bounced back from adversity to play at a high level. Victim of lack of concussion protocol. Advocate for better concussion protocol. U-High what what. But let's not act like he's any kind of authority on sheeeeet. I had to turn it off when he was the first speaker. I can't take him seriously.

I didn't say I liked him - one of my favorite HS sports memories was watching a sophomore at Chaminade named Brad Davis absolutely eat his lunch on the turf at Soccer Park while he just repeatedly whined to the refs - and I acknowledge his shortcomings. But he's definitely an authority on the subject of concussions. There's no arguing that point.

My name preferences would be:

1) the Saint Louis But What About Parking?'s

Bring back the drive in movie theater concept and have a drive in stadium so no one has to get out of their cars or walk far.

2) the Saint Louis Everyone Complains About Traffic Even Though St. Louis doesn't Have Anys. 

Instead of a huge crowd chanting  songs while walking towards the stadium on game (MATCH) day, it would just be everyone complaining (loudly) about how long it is taking to walk to the stadium.

If neither of those are chosen I prefer Brianstl's suggestion of just Saint Louis for now, Saint Louis 1764, and the Olympic/Olympique idea is really growing on me.

20 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I agree on the 64s. Olympique is gonna take some more growing.

the 64s...I think I may like that even better: The St. Louis/Saint Louis 64s. Rolls right off the tongue. Whatever happens, the St. Louis flag colors/symbol must be incorporated.

5 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

the 64s...I think I may like that even better: The St. Louis/Saint Louis 64s. Rolls right off the tongue. Whatever happens, the St. Louis flag colors/symbol must be incorporated.

But then would a portion of our fan base refer to them as the 40s?