OT: MLS Announcement Tuesday: GOOOOOOL for STL.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I'm sure Schalke doesn't go by the 04's. Supporters prolly came up with a team name. Or they just go by Schalke. 76ers and 49ers is what you would call those teams. Would you call us the 64ers? Probably not

Never called 04 but their shorten print name is s04

7 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I'm sure Schalke doesn't go by the 04's. Supporters prolly came up with a team name. Or they just go by Schalke. 76ers and 49ers is what you would call those teams. Would you call us the 64ers? Probably not

I would call the team St Louis 1764 or just 1764. 

You asked for teams that used years in their name.  You got two examples from this country and two from overseas. 

36 minutes ago, QUAILMAN said:

Philly and San Fran team name/years are based off events that have nothing to do when the teams were founded. 

Correct as to the Philly, and yes, San Fran did likely have a settlement but it was the 1849 Gold Rush which lead to it rally becoming the City it is today.   But how technical do we need to get?  Guess you can say the Cahokia Indians were long present in St. Louis prior to 1764 too.

The Missouri Athletic Club has a deep connection with the sport of soccer.  It gives out the equivalent to the Heisman Trophy for college soccer every year.  If Kavanaugh want to use this connection, he could call the team Missouri Athletic Club (with permission, obviously).  The nickname could be the Macs.  Symbol for the shield would already be there.  No issue with the Kansas City team, since they play in Kansas.  One issue would be no "St. Louis" in the title.

I don't necessarily love it, but its an idea.

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

It's time to stop trying to be like European leagues. I honestly think MLS going forward should accept and embrace US sports heritage, who cares if they have nicknames. I cringe every time someone calls it football or see FC, United etc. It all feels disingenuous to me.

Think I might disagree. The more MLS has been willing to fit into the international soccer community, the more successful it’s been. I agree we shouldn’t feel bad about calling it soccer, or having mascots. But soccer is a global sports marketplace, and if you’re not going to try to fit in with the rest of the participants (e.g. playing games in the middle of the European transfer window) it’s going to hold you back.

People who correct someone calling it soccer instead of football are the worst, we agree. But I think your attitude is a little more aggressive on this issue than it probably deserves. 

50 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

The Missouri Athletic Club has a deep connection with the sport of soccer.  It gives out the equivalent to the Heisman Trophy for college soccer every year.  If Kavanaugh want to use this connection, he could call the team Missouri Athletic Club (with permission, obviously).  The nickname could be the Macs.  Symbol for the shield would already be there.  No issue with the Kansas City team, since they play in Kansas.  One issue would be no "St. Louis" in the title.

Where KC plays is not relevant.  The Giants and Jets play in NJ and they still count themselves as New York teams.  The only problem I see with the Missouri Athletic Club name is that it is not specific to the  StL region other than the fact that the Club is located in StL.  

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Yes.   I don't love the name either.   So what about the award to a college player -- especially since this will be a professional team (not college) and the best guys no longer play college, and those that do play college, don't play 4 years of college anymore.

Put me in the camp with those who like the St. Louis 1764 name.

3 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

What's an example of another club with year of origination in their club name. Suggested the idea to some friends and they thought it was dumb and never heard of it. I know there's some European clubs with similar concept correct? I'm trying to find some and can't. 

TSV 1860 Munich

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

And St Louis 1764 would have nothing to do with the year the team was founded.

I was responding to the comment stream from where you questioned why the 76ers and 49ers were different than the European team examples.