OT: MLS Announcement Tuesday: GOOOOOOL for STL.

As long as there are no red seats...

The TWA Dome seats never changed color all of those years. And the Cardinals don’t understand the value of seat color contrast. I like St. Louis FC’s colors. 

Mound City Steamboats is a good, local historical name. But, I recognize the regions need to have St. Louis in the name. Therefore, simply name it St. Louis. And, figure out a nickname from there. No need for anything before or after St. Louis other than a nickname. 

I’m all for SLU hosting future College Cups only because it is St. Louis. I much prefer to see those events in warmer climates. The last one was about as cold as it gets. 

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

What about STL 1764 or 1764 STL 

Something along those lines is what I was thinking. Please no Archers. I know we have the Arch but even living here the name makes me think bow and arrow. Legacy seems a bit arrogant to me. I like Gateway but not standing alone. Saint Louis Gateway. I also liked the Saint Louis City someone mentioned. 

courtside likes this

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Ben Fred's piece. Highlights:

-They're finalizing securing the land for the stadium, and designs are being finalized concurrent with that. Timeline for both is a few weeks.

-No TIF, and the stadium group will pay for maintenance.

-Confident the stadium will be ready for the start of the season in March 2022.

-Name, colors, etc. will take longer. "Going to do a deep dive" and engage the public. There seems to be some energy behind Archers.

-This is a true expansion team, not STL FC being promoted into MLS like with FC Cincinnati.

Jim Kavanugh is the owner of the current professional soccer team?  Does he sell that one and they leave town?   And he puts a few dollars in his pocket to pay for the new MLS team?

56 minutes ago, Brighton said:

So he speaks the uncomfortable truth about what needs to be done in downtown STL and that makes him a douchebag ?

I didn't know he did that, mine is more of a general observation. I don't take in much of his content, so maybe my opinion is off. 

34 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I don’t understand the addition of city to the name of a city. I’m sure I’m missing something.  And wouldn’t this be akin to copying Man City and Orlando City (obviously, lesser prominence on the world soccer stage).

Because people are desperate for the approval of Europe 

2 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

I don’t understand the addition of city to the name of a city. I’m sure I’m missing something.  And wouldn’t this be akin to copying Man City and Orlando City (obviously, lesser prominence on the world soccer stage).

In the case of NYCFC it’s because they’re owned by City Football Group, same ownership as Man City, Melbourne City and others. Similar to the Red Bull family of teams (RB Leipzig, Red Bull Salzburg, New York Red Bulls)

I like the look and sound of STL 1764 and at the risk of making myself unpopular here, my only quibble is that clubs that use years in their names/crests are using the founding year of the club, not the city. Correct me if I'm wrong - just couldn't think of any examples that weren't using the club's founding. Using that convention, we'd be STL 2019 or 2022, and that doesn't seem nearly as cool as 1764. STL 2020 doesn't have a bad ring, but we'd probably have to delay some paperwork to make it official.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I like the look and sound of STL 1764 and at the risk of making myself unpopular here, my only quibble is that clubs that use years in their names/crests are using the founding year of the club, not the city. Correct me if I'm wrong - just couldn't think of any examples that weren't using the club's founding. Using that convention, we'd be STL 2019 or 2022, and that doesn't seem nearly as cool as 1764. STL 2020 doesn't have a bad ring, but we'd probably have to delay some paperwork to make it official.

Ya typically it’s club not city year. But I say since we’re not supposed to be like Europe , frick it.

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Ya typically it’s club not city year. But I say since we’re not supposed to be like Europe , frick it.

It's time to stop trying to be like European leagues. I honestly think MLS going forward should accept and embrace US sports heritage, who cares if they have nicknames. I cringe every time someone calls it football or see FC, United etc. It all feels disingenuous to me.

slufanskip, slufan13 and AGB91 like this

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

It's time to stop trying to be like European leagues. I honestly think MLS going forward should accept and embrace US sports heritage, who cares if they have nicknames. I cringe every time someone calls it football or see FC, United etc. It all feels disingenuous to me.

You will feel differently when our first 11 takes the pitch and wins the match. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I don't care how Europe does it. St. Louis 1764 sounds better than St Louis 20 anything.  St Louis and especially STL 20xx sounds too much like all the failed masters plans that sucked up tax dollars over the past 3 plus decades. 

Plus, just stay away from STL anything.  Use St. Louis in everything marketing the team.

7 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

What's an example of another club with year of origination in their club name. Suggested the idea to some friends and they thought it was dumb and never heard of it. I know there's some European clubs with similar concept correct? I'm trying to find some and can't. 

Shalke 04

7 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

What's an example of another club with year of origination in there club name. Suggested the idea to some friends and they thought it was dumb and never heard of it. I know there's some European clubs with similar concept correct? I'm trying to find some and can't. 

The Bundesliga has a few: FC Schalke 04 (originated in 1904), TSG 1899 Hoffenheim, SC Paderborn 07 (1907).