OT: MLS Announcement Tuesday: GOOOOOOL for STL.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I like either Gateway St. Louis or the Spirit of St. Louis (resurrecting the old ABA team name).  Please no St. Louis FC.

This quote from Ben's article makes me feel comfortable that it won't be one of the lame European name, with FC or SC.  I'm good with Archers, Gateway, Spirit of STL, or Stars

Garber has encouraged the ownership group to find something that honors the city’s history. Kindle Betz mentioned she has been following the public discussion about potential team names, and said she has observed a lot of suggestions for Archers. “Public support and public opinion mean a lot to us,” Kindle Betz said. “We will do a deep dive.”

49 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Ben Fred's piece. Highlights:

-They're finalizing securing the land for the stadium, and designs are being finalized concurrent with that. Timeline for both is a few weeks.

-No TIF, and the stadium group will pay for maintenance.

-Confident the stadium will be ready for the start of the season in March 2022.

-Name, colors, etc. will take longer. "Going to do a deep dive" and engage the public. There seems to be some energy behind Archers.

-This is a true expansion team, not STL FC being promoted into MLS like with FC Cincinnati.

Archers is F’ing awful.

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

And let’s star away from names that have already been connected with a St Louis team like Spirit or Stars

Why?  I would prefer Spirits over Stars but would be fine with either.  I like the idea of a bit of a throw back and Spirits has the connection to St. Louis other than just the previous team name.

Just now, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I doubt this name will get any consideration for several reasons but I kind of like Saint Louis City as the name.

I heard people mention Saint Louis Metro as possibility.  

Just now, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I doubt this name will get any consideration for several reasons but I kind of like Saint Louis City as the name.

That or just St. Louis.  

Just get a good color scheme  and kit that incorporates the city flag.  That is all the team needs right now and let a nickname develop from the fans over the first few seasons.

2 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Why?  I would prefer Spirits over Stars but would be fine with either.  I like the idea of a bit of a throw back and Spirits has the connection to St. Louis other than just the previous team name.

Keep this a something fresh and separate from past franchise failures in this town

3 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

I heard people mention Saint Louis Metro as possibility.  

I don't think you want to tie yourself to the local mass transit system.

SLU_Lax likes this

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

That or just St. Louis.  

Just get a good color scheme and kit that incorporates the city flag. That is all the team needs right now and let a nickname develop from the fans over the first few seasons.

This would be my strategy, too.

My fear is that based on her "deep dive" comment, it sounds like they're really going to take their time and get as much input as possible. I'm sure some design/branding firm is going to have to justify its fee and will want to deliver as much possible. So I'm afraid it'll be overdone instead of something cool and simple like this. I hope I'm wrong.

brianstl likes this

18 minutes ago, brianstl said:

That or just St. Louis.  

Just get a good color scheme  and kit that incorporates the city flag.  That is all the team needs right now and let a nickname develop from the fans over the first few seasons.

Seriously - red/blue/yellow.  Should be a no-brainer.

brianstl and Zink like this

3 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I know this isn't the point of the thread, but is there a bigger douchebag than Taylor Twellman?

Plenty. He's not my favorite sports media figure by a long shot, but he's not even close to the biggest.

My prediction.  A bunch of people will absolutely hate the team nickname.  And a bunch of people will love it.  The owner brought up the name Archers as being popular.  I think she may have a say in what the eventual name is.

I'm okay with Twellman.  I appreciate his passion for this city.

28 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I've hated everything else except Bill McDermott's suggestion Legacy. It's a sneaky EPL style but doesn't pander to Euro style team names. 

It sounds like a WNBA name....not that there's anything wrong with that.

The only name that I have thought of that I almost like is Réunion.  Not how wow we normally think of the word reunion in English but from the from the French phrase for meeting of the rivers, "réunion des rivières".  It pays homage to both the French heritage of the City and why people decided to settle here in the first place. 

The fact that you have to explain it means it probably isn't a good Idea

SluSignGuy likes this