OT: MLS Announcement Tuesday: GOOOOOOL for STL.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-St Louis Toasteds and sell inexpensive alcohol so the fans can match the moniker - a red color scheme to match another team

-Steamers was a great name, I had heard a bank owned the name but that was years ago, and could have a blue color scheme to match two of their neighbors - or the Tugs and there could be some interesting off field entertainment options

-I am not big into soccer but I don't understand why an American team would copy, other than on field success, names from Europe, be American

-Frank had Dr Rische on his program this week and is a worthwhile listen around money for the upcoming team - https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/

Lay off the drugs too

3 hours ago, Box and Won said:

I admit to liking the name Steamers, but that may be more of a sentimental thing, as I grew up going to Steamers games as a kid.  Still, they had a cool logo and color scheme.

On the downside, it conjures up the term "Cleveland steamer."

You’re just a degenerate with a dirty mind 

13 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I heard the MLS wants to stay away from Saint Louis FC or Saint Louis United but who knows.

I''d agree with that. Already way too many teams using United and FC. Also, it's a soccer team in a soccer league (MLS), FC makes no sense. SC would though. 

17 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Out here we have the local San Jose Earthquakes, which was the name of the old San Jose NASL team.  (So there is a precedent for calling the new St. Louis team the Stars.)  I coached the younger brother of the Earthquakes' star striker, Chris Wondolowski, in CYO hoops and know their parents.

LA has the LA Galaxy and the new Los Angeles FC.  These two teams play in different soccer specific stadiums, with the Galaxy's soccer stadium in Carson being the temporary home of the LA Chargers of the NFL.

Could you ask Chris' parents to please urge him to do the right thing and turn down any future USMNT call ups?

moytoy12 and billikens747 like this

On 8/17/2019 at 7:16 AM, slufanskip said:

Could you ask Chris' parents to please urge him to do the right thing and turn down any future USMNT call ups?

As long as you are having tough conversations, do you happen to know the Zardes parents?

56 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I’ve generally followed the good news re expansion to St. Louis, but do we expect them to unveil a team name today with the announcement? 

nope. 

8 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Always bad to promote player health

Especially when you were the fastest to ever score 100 goals in MLS history and got a concussion - your seventh! - and continued to play the rest of the game and the next eight weeks without seeking medical help and then once you did, you realized it was too late and your career would be cut off at the age of 28 and then you decided to start a foundation to educate young players about traumatic brain injury. Seems like that guy doesn't have a valuable perspective to share at all.

Ben Fred's piece. Highlights:

-They're finalizing securing the land for the stadium, and designs are being finalized concurrent with that. Timeline for both is a few weeks.

-No TIF, and the stadium group will pay for maintenance.

-Confident the stadium will be ready for the start of the season in March 2022.

-Name, colors, etc. will take longer. "Going to do a deep dive" and engage the public. There seems to be some energy behind Archers.

-This is a true expansion team, not STL FC being promoted into MLS like with FC Cincinnati.