OT: MLS Announcement Tuesday: GOOOOOOL for STL.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty exciting stuff.

If they can get and keep and good atmosphere and game day experience it will be pretty exciting.

I hope they go with Atlanta’s fan friendly concession pricing model.

The 5 dollar beers and 1.50 hot dogs will help draw a few people who are just curious to check it out.

This is such great news not only for soccer and sports fans, but also fans of St. Louis. The project will help re-develop a huge vacant space between downtown proper and midtown and will provide another attraction that will make the region more attractive to future generations. For those who are not aware, the stadium will actually be built in the vacant lots and vacated highway site north of Market, not in the frequently cited Union Station lot south of it. (The Union Station lot and vacated highway ramp south of Market will become a plaza and related development connected to the stadium by a tunnel.) The theoretically site plan proposed by this blogger a few years ago will be more akin to the final plan. http://www.urbanreviewstl.com/2016/02/a-great-site-for-a-major-league-soccer-mls-stadium-in-downtown-st-louis/ Martin Kilcoyne tweeted the same last night. 

11 hours ago, dlarry said:

Pretty exciting stuff.

If they can get and keep and good atmosphere and game day experience it will be pretty exciting.

I hope they go with Atlanta’s fan friendly concession pricing model.

The 5 dollar beers and 1.50 hot dogs will help draw a few people who are just curious to check it out.

-not to hijack a thread, but I wish SLU would have done this at Chaifetz, I had a conversation with Cheryl Levick about this which obviously went no where

3 minutes ago, davidnark said:

This is such great news not only for soccer and sports fans, but also fans of St. Louis. The project will help re-develop a huge vacant space between downtown proper and midtown and will provide another attraction that will make the region more attractive to future generations. For those who are not aware, the stadium will actually be built in the vacant lots and vacated highway site north of Market, not in the frequently cited Union Station lot south of it. (The Union Station lot and vacated highway ramp south of Market will become a plaza and related development connected to the stadium by a tunnel.) The theoretically site plan proposed by this blogger a few years ago will be more akin to the final plan. http://www.urbanreviewstl.com/2016/02/a-great-site-for-a-major-league-soccer-mls-stadium-in-downtown-st-louis/

-I was not aware, so it is basically the area bounded by Market, the Pear Tree, Pine and 20th? or would it go to Olive?

24 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-not to hijack a thread, but I wish SLU would have done this at Chaifetz, I had a conversation with Cheryl Levick about this which obviously went no where

We in St. Louis will obviously pay these higher prices. As of a couple years ago Busch Stadium had the second most expensive beer in baseball behind Boston. Chaifetz prices are similar. I think both use Delaware North as food distributor. 

1 hour ago, davidnark said:

This is such great news not only for soccer and sports fans, but also fans of St. Louis. The project will help re-develop a huge vacant space between downtown proper and midtown and will provide another attraction that will make the region more attractive to future generations. For those who are not aware, the stadium will actually be built in the vacant lots and vacated highway site north of Market, not in the frequently cited Union Station lot south of it. (The Union Station lot and vacated highway ramp south of Market will become a plaza and related development connected to the stadium by a tunnel.) The theoretically site plan proposed by this blogger a few years ago will be more akin to the final plan. http://www.urbanreviewstl.com/2016/02/a-great-site-for-a-major-league-soccer-mls-stadium-in-downtown-st-louis/ Martin Kilcoyne tweeted the same last night. 

Square moving downtown and expanding, Build a Bear moving downtown, a Fortune 250 company moving its HQ from White Plains to STL, MLS announcement.....lots of positive news in St. Louis lately!

HoosierPal, SShoe, Zink and 1 other like this

9 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Square moving downtown and expanding, Build a Bear moving downtown, a Fortune 250 company moving from White Plains to STL, MLS announcement.....lots of positive news in St. Louis lately!

Just to be fair, if your definition of St. Louis is the area, not just the city then you can move Build a Bear out of the positive and into the negative column since it is a net negative for the region.  When taxpayers fund, through tax credits, a intra-region move it is just a cost w/o a benefit.  Other than that, yes, a good few days for the region.  And likely a negative for the STL County B-a-B employees who will have to add parking cost (or risking their lives on Metrolink) and having to pay STL City earnings tax, unless they currently live in the City.

33 minutes ago, bauman said:

Just to be fair, if your definition of St. Louis is the area, not just the city then you can move Build a Bear out of the positive and into the negative column since it is a net negative for the region.  When taxpayers fund, through tax credits, a intra-region move it is just a cost w/o a benefit.  Other than that, yes, a good few days for the region.  And likely a negative for the STL County B-a-B employees who will have to add parking cost (or risking their lives on Metrolink) and having to pay STL City earnings tax, unless they currently live in the City.

Build A Bear moving downtown is a win for downtown. Downtown needs more wins. If I could take the Metrolink to work every day I would. 40,000-50,0000 rides/work day on the Metrolink. The odds of me getting shot or robbed are extremely low.

Ironbills, cgeldmacher and Zink like this

24 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Square moving downtown and expanding, Build a Bear moving downtown, a Fortune 250 company moving from White Plains to STL, MLS announcement.....lots of positive news in St. Louis lately!

Just a FYI - Bunge has a presence in StL already.  Moving here actually makes a lot of sense for them and for what they do.  They have a big office building of of 64 in or around Chesterfield.

14 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Just a FYI - Bunge has a presence in StL already.  Moving here actually makes a lot of sense for them and for what they do.  They have a big office building of of 64 in or around Chesterfield.

Correct.  Edited that post for clarification. They've had a presence in St. Louis for a long time I believe.

This one is more of a psychological/perception victory for St. Louis than anything else, and a big win for St. Louis ag tech. When is the last time a Fortune 500 company moved its HQ to St. Louis? I think I read it was Post Holdings.

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Correct.  Edited that post for clarification. They've had a presence in St. Louis for a long time I believe.

This one is more of a psychological/perception victory for St. Louis than anything else, and a big win for St. Louis ag tech. When is the last time a Fortune 500 company moved its HQ to St. Louis? I think I read it was Post Holdings.

I live out in Chesterfield and frequently drive past their North American headquarters, recently built a really nice building off of 40 and Timberlake. Will the Global Headquarters be on this same campus? More than the number of folks being moved to the region would be the caliber of jobs that are moving. I saw that this will make Bunge the second-biggest public company based in the St. Louis area behind Centene.

2 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I live out in Chesterfield and drive by their North American headquarters every day, recently built a really nice building off of 40 and Timberlake. Will the Global Headquarters be on this same campus? More than the number of folks being moved to the region would be the caliber of jobs that are moving.

Yes, the HQ will be in Chesterfield, too. The new CEO said the move is part of a long-term plan to "shrink before growing" so there will be some downsizing, too. I'm not sure what the net number will be or if those lost jobs will mostly be from the White Plains or Chesterfield location, though. There are only about 180 employees in White Plains and 525 in Chesterfield, and Bunge said a few years ago they wanted to expand Chesterfield to full capacity of about 750, so they're still going to be short of that, especially after layoffs.

TheChosenOne likes this

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Boomer move 

Pretty fair write-up from Deadspin, but I mostly enjoyed this passage:

St. Louis’s MLS team has what appears to be a pretty solid stadium deal that shouldn’t rob the city’s taxpayers blind in its construction. Compared to FC Cincinnati’s terrible stadium deal, the plans for St. Louis’s new venue are downright generous. After asking for $80 million and then $60 million from the city to build the downtown stadium—both of which were rejected, the first through political maneuvering and the latter in a public vote by a 53-47 margin—the ownership group came back with a deal that would require no public funding whatsoever. Additionally, the stadium would be owned by the city, and its maintenance costs would be covered by a tax on tickets and items sold within the stadium. Remember that the next time billionaires cry poor and try to guilt a city into giving them free money.

Of course, as we have seen time and time again, proposals are not reality, but it does seem like St. Louis will get the benefits of an MLS team without the financial drawbacks that have plagued other cities. If the stadium’s construction goes off as planned, the 22,500-seat venue could become a blueprint for how to join MLS without screwing over your city and your soon-to-be fanbase.

rgbilliken and Zink like this

Yeah, it certainly seems like a solid deal for the city. The only thing I didn't like was when they had that public meeting with the board of aldermen it seemed like any of the aldermen actually trying to ask questions were kind of shot down. And then you had media members acting as cheerleaders for the ownership group (not sure if they were receiving $ to do so). I am by no means a supporter of the board of aldermen, but with what happened with the Rams (and the crap deals across the country) I found it odd to be so critical of folks who in theory should be asking those sorts of questions to fully understand the deal and negotiate on behalf of the city. And this was after the first ownership group with the guy from Boston and them having that media session where Taylor Twellman and others took a very odd approach (not sure how they could have come across much worse, tone deaf) when in theory they were tasked with selling the deal to the citizens of St. Louis. I was happy to see the Taylor family step up and kind of take over with Kavanaugh.

11 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I live out in Chesterfield and frequently drive past their North American headquarters, recently built a really nice building off of 40 and Timberlake. Will the Global Headquarters be on this same campus? More than the number of folks being moved to the region would be the caliber of jobs that are moving. I saw that this will make Bunge the second-biggest public company based in the St. Louis area behind Centene.

I read that their current location has room for expansion so it would make sense to have everyone there. 100% agree that it's the quality of people/jobs moving, not the quantity. If you are measuring "big" in terms of annual revenue I believe that is correct. Think Bunge had $45B in revenue last year. Centene in the 50s?

TheChosenOne likes this

2 hours ago, bauman said:

To be fair, a business and driver of economic activity downtown has a dramatically different impact on the view and perception of the city from the perspective of most tourists, transplants, media, and out-of-town investors. Nobody in the world judges the viability and quality of a major city from its suburbs--they are largely the same throughout North America. The revitalization of "St. Louis" needs to begin with the core and work its way outward. Plus, a strong central core provides opportunities for a more efficient and sustainable public transportation system, even without old white guys from the suburbs who falsely believe they will put their lives at risk. For these reasons, it is foolish to exclude Build a Bear's relocation from the renaissance. 

15 minutes ago, davidnark said:

To be fair, a business and driver of economic activity downtown has a dramatically different impact on the view and perception of the city from the perspective of most tourists, transplants, media, and out-of-town investors. Nobody in the world judges the viability and quality of a major city from its suburbs--they are largely the same throughout North America. The revitalization of "St. Louis" needs to begin with the core and work its way outward. Plus, a strong central core provides opportunities for a more efficient and sustainable public transportation system, even without old white guys from the suburbs who falsely believe they will put their lives at risk. For these reasons, it is foolish to exclude Build a Bear's relocation from the renaissance. 

+1

48 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I read that their current location has room for expansion so it would make sense to have everyone there. 100% agree that it's the quality of people/jobs moving, not the quantity. If you are measuring "big" in terms of annual revenue I believe that is correct. Think Bunge had $45B in revenue last year. Centene in the 50s?

Oops, I should have put that in the original post. Based on Bunge's 2018 revenue of $45.7 billion which is behind only Centene at $60 billion.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Yes, the HQ will be in Chesterfield, too. The new CEO said the move is part of a long-term plan to "shrink before growing" so there will be some downsizing, too. I'm not sure what the net number will be or if those lost jobs will mostly be from the White Plains or Chesterfield location, though. There are only about 180 employees in White Plains and 525 in Chesterfield, and Bunge said a few years ago they wanted to expand Chesterfield to full capacity of about 750, so they're still going to be short of that, especially after layoffs.

My guess is they fill the Chesterfield space and add workers out at their location at the research park in St. Charles.  They have six other administrative offices in North America that I would expect them to downsize or eliminate as they consolidate many of their operations in the St Louis area. 

Rents and salaries are cheaper in St Louis than Montreal, Toronto, Miami and DC.