Recruiting - 2023

Pistol

On 8/30/2022 at 12:24 PM, brianstl said:

The real money for the collectives doesn't come from a big money donor donating $10,000 to the collective for the football players at Texas A&M.  It is getting 50,000 Texas A&M fans to donate an average of $200 or more every year to the collective.  That right there gets you a $10 million plus budget to work with before you hit up the whales.  Will collectives at a schools like Texas A&M find 50,000 grassroots donors to contribute that every year?  I am sure they will once the collectives are completely built out.  You will have collective subscription services that will automatically deduct $20-30 dollars every month from your account when you join.  Just go online and pick the level you want to join at.

This sounds like a doable deal. However, just think, it takes 1000 people to donate $200 per year to pay $200,000 per year to  a single player. If you get 5000 people doing that regularly year after year, you can have a squad of 5 players each of which is paid $200,000 per year. Simple and straightforward, right? One problem, 5000 people is a lot of people. Easy to talk, hard to achieve. Just try it.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, willie said:
8 hours ago, SLUMS81 said:

One way to accomplish this would be to add a $10-20 surcharge to the price of each ticket toward the players’ NIL fund.

If we are going too do that, then we’ve just turned them into professionals. Which might be where this NIL leads us to.

I follow Florida Gator football. Just read an article that states they have 5 million in their collective. They have contracts with l15 players, one basketball the rest football. They are promoting 6/month individual contributions. Of course they have a huge alumni base. After watching the game last night, it looks like they have a rising star QB. What will he be worth at the end of the year, if he doesn't go pro. Some of these schools are going to raise a ton of money, but their desire to win National Championships is going to channel a lot of it to a few star players. I think it remains to be seen what is left for non star football players and basketball. I think its telling, that the distribution is 15 to iwhen the  football team had a preseason raring in the mid to upper 30s.

2 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

I follow Florida Gator football. Just read an article that states they have 5 million in their collective. They have contracts with l15 players, one basketball the rest football. They are promoting 6/month individual contributions. Of course they have a huge alumni base. After watching the game last night, it looks like they have a rising star QB. What will he be worth at the end of the year, if he doesn't go pro. Some of these schools are going to raise a ton of money, but their desire to win National Championships is going to channel a lot of it to a few star players. I think it remains to be seen what is left for non star football players and basketball. I think its telling, that the distribution is 15 to iwhen the  football team had a preseason raring in the mid to upper 30s.

A fool and his money are soon parted. Lots of fools on deck.

billiken_roy likes this

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

If we are going too do that, then we’ve just turned them into professionals. Which might be where this NIL leads us to.

There's no might about it. These kids are now pro athletes. Recruiting has turned into de facto free agency. As Coach Tate said the first question he's asked by recruits is what's your NIL package? 

slufanskip likes this

4 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Here is the problem - for every dollar a fan puts into the collective how much will they deduct from the other donations they make to the athletic department or the school for that matter.  For school like us - not a FL - you may just be stealing from Peter to pay Paul.

Even at schools like Florida you are probably going to be robbing Peter to pay Paul. The one thing this NIL thing did NOT do was create a lot of new fans with money at every school.  I am willing to bet most people who were interested in always giving cash to see a winning program at their college were already doing so, one way or another, legal or under the table.  This just replaces that. Good thing is there is no reason to do under the table anymore, but if you want more than that, the others things people give to a university athletic program will get cut.

SLU is at such a huge disadvantage to the big FB schools when it comes to number of alumni who are really into the athletic success of their alma maters. Big time FB is like a religion at these schools. Saturday’s create some of their best memories of college. We just offer nothing to compete with those experiences. Our students for the most part are rather apathetic when it comes to our sports teams. They just aren’t into it so to say. So, say you have two folks working at the same company, same position, same salary. One is a FL alum the other from SLU, whose more likely to contribute to an NIL collective? The one who remembers the fun times  FB Saturday’s were, or the one who may have gone to 3-4 BB games a year? Not only do the bigs have more school spirit their alumni base outnumbers ours by about 3-5 times. Face it, the P5’s are in the college major leagues, and we’re in the minors. 

40 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Even at schools like Florida you are probably going to be robbing Peter to pay Paul. The one thing this NIL thing did NOT do was create a lot of new fans with money at every school.  I am willing to bet most people who were interested in always giving cash to see a winning program at their college were already doing so, one way or another, legal or under the table.  This just replaces that. Good thing is there is no reason to do under the table anymore, but if you want more than that, the others things people give to a university athletic program will get cut.

In a place like FL the pool of people to draw from is so much larger than for us.  My point was if you give X to the Billiken Club which supports lots of athletic programs not just basketball then if you withhold that money or parts of it so you can give to a collective that is robbing Peter to pay Paul.

10 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

In a place like FL the pool of people to draw from is so much larger than for us.  My point was if you give X to the Billiken Club which supports lots of athletic programs not just basketball then if you withhold that money or parts of it so you can give to a collective that is robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Agreed, but remember, every Florida Alumni who wanted to contribute money to the Athletic program was already probably doing so.  Why would the emergence of the NIL mean that Florida supporters who were not contributing before suddenly want to open their pocketbooks when they weren’t before? Maybe some new money comes in, but maybe that’s only temporary.  For the large part, I’ll bet they are robbing Peter to pay Paul like everyone else. Also, will these people who were brought in this year by the newness of NIL want to keep contributing year after year? I’ll bet at the end of the year, the same old teams will still be playing for the championship, so ultimately all this NIL money just leaves everyone where they were before it began in terms of football. 

3 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Agreed, but remember, every Florida Alumni who wanted to contribute money to the Athletic program was already probably doing so.  Why would the emergence of the NIL mean that Florida supporters who were not contributing before suddenly want to open their pocketbooks when they weren’t before? Maybe some new money comes in, but maybe that’s only temporary.  For the large part, I’ll bet they are robbing Peter to pay Paul like everyone else. Also, will these people who were brought in this year by the newness of NIL want to keep contributing year after year? I’ll bet at the end of the year, the same old teams will still be playing for the championship, so ultimately all this NIL money just leaves everyone where they were before it began in terms of football. 

I am sorry but this is going around in a circle and choose to stop.  

Coach314 and Billiken Rich like this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Player poaching is the major issue with the NIL.  It appears that high school recruiting will remain business as usual -- 2 and 3 star recruits will continue to go to mid majors, borderline 4 stars and above will continue go to high majors.

Good post and you’re probably right. However, the portal may provide good mid programs with a shot at 4 stars who have  fallen out of favor with their P5 programs. At that point the 4 star has lost some NIL bargaining chips. Like a draft pick who doesn’t work out. You get him for a cheaper price but offer a bigger deal in season 3 if he works out. Maybe NIL deals will one day be structured like pro players contracts? And why not, its already like a wide l open free agency out there? 

On 9/5/2022 at 11:57 AM, 3star_recruit said:

Player poaching is the major issue with the NIL.  It appears that high school recruiting will remain business as usual -- 2 and 3 star recruits will continue to go to mid majors, borderline 4 stars and above will continue go to high majors.

True, but the difference in high school recruiting will come with the occasional 4 or 5 star that we may have had a shot with.  Under this system, we are not going to get a Larry Hughes, Sr. anymore.  We are not going to have a shot to get a Jayson Tatum anymore.  The NIL dollars will be so different between us and the alternative blue blood school that the kid will not be able to reasonably includes us as a choice.

bauman likes this

26 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

True, but the difference in high school recruiting will come with the occasional 4 or 5 star that we may have had a shot with.  Under this system, we are not going to get a Larry Hughes, Sr. anymore.  We are not going to have a shot to get a Jayson Tatum anymore.  The NIL dollars will be so different between us and the alternative blue blood school that the kid will not be able to reasonably includes us as a choice.

-I can see some cases where this is correct but also some where it isn't, if The Legend were a recruit today I have to HOPE that CFord would make some calls to whoever to put together a very nice NIL package for him that would keep him home

-while my impression at this time is not favorable re: NIL, I don't believe we are, or should be, on the sideline just letting the world pass us by

38 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Point taken.  These are edge cases. The best years in the program didn't have a Larry Hughes.  Our program could become the top dog in the conference and a frequent NCAA participant without ever signing a blue chip recruit out of high school.

33 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Point taken.  These are edge cases. The best years in the program didn't have a Larry Hughes.  Our program could become the top dog in the conference and a frequent NCAA participant without ever signing a blue chip recruit out of high school.

If Ford was a good on the floor tactician, then I would concur.

Cowboy, not being on the sideline of NILs is very different from having the HC calling people soliciting NILs. He just might place himself in a very hot seat if he contacted the wrong donor or unearthed a new one without notifying the school before hitting on him/her for NIL money.

New interest:

Jaylen Carey - C, 6-7, 225 - Davie, FL (Westminster Academy) - AAU: Nightrydas Elite (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: Jaylencarey1
Offers: Ole Miss, Florida International, Ohio, Bowling Green, Chattanooga, Florida Gulf Coast, Stetson.

Interest: Saint Louis, Dayton, St. Bonaventure, Xavier, Illinois, Tennessee, Georgia, Texas, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Boise State, SMU, South Florida, Belmont, Murray State, Drake, Cornell, Charlotte, Rice, Marshall, Southern Miss, Florida Atlantic, Morehead State, Samford, William & Mary, Elon, Towson, Iona, Arkansas State, UMBC, Maine, Stephen F. Austin, Jacksonville, Jacksonville State, Lipscomb, Liberty, Presbyterian, Mount St. Mary's, Bethune-Cookman, Chicago State.

Latest News: Carey is taking an official visit to Ohio on 9/22. (9/6/22)

Scouting Report: Carey is a tough, fluid, mobile big with a strong frame. He's physical and finishes through contact. He has touch with both hands and good passing feel. He's an efficient scorer. He's a strong rebounder at both ends. He can step out and shoot it, too. He's the younger brother of NBA player Vernon Carey.

Jadrian Tracey - SF, 6-5, 205 - Fort Myers, FL (Florida Southwestern) - Twitter: @JadrianTracey
Offers: Cleveland State, Northern Illinois.

Interest: Saint Louis, St. Joseph's, Florida, Texas, Mississippi State, Clemson, South Florida, Murray State, Illinois-Chicago, UAB, Florida International, Texas-San Antonio, Sam Houston State, Youngstown State, Tennessee Tech, Lindenwood, Chattanooga, Canisius, Texas-Arlington, Arkansas State, Louisiana-Monroe, Kansas City, Maine, Cal State-Northridge, Southern Utah, Stetson, Liberty, Eastern Kentucky, Jacksonville, Austin Peay, North Alabama, Radford, Queens, McNeese State, Texas A&M-Commerce.

Latest News: Tracey received an offer from Cleveland State. (9/6/22)

Scouting Report: Tracey is a big wing who scores on three levels. He gets to the basket with ease, can shoot it, and makes the right play. He rebounds his position well and sets his teammates up. He went to St. Joe's out of HS and averaged 4.1 PPG in 20 games as a freshman, but entered the transfer portal after playing 2 games as a sophomore and transferred to Florida Southwestern.