Recruiting - 2023

Pistol

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I always fear the last visit school, if the recruit gets that far. Important we make a strong impression. Question is will the memories last and stand up to the bright lights of Ames, IA? 

Definitely not, given that he'd be visiting Iowa City.

Billiken Rich likes this

Here's a question for the board based on recent posts.  Do football schools have an advantage in basketball recruiting, because they can bring basketball recruits to football games on official visits?

I honestly don't know how I feel about it.  Obviously, there's a lot of pageantry involved in a football game where there's a big crowd and a recruit can get swept up in the emotion of it all.  On the flip side, the recruit and his family might wonder if football gets prioritized at the school over basketball.

5 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Here's a question for the board based on recent posts.  Do football schools have an advantage in basketball recruiting, because they can bring basketball recruits to football games on official visits?

I honestly don't know how I feel about it.  Obviously, there's a lot of pageantry involved in a football game where there's a big crowd and a recruit can get swept up in the emotion of it all.  On the flip side, the recruit and his family might wonder if football gets prioritized at the school over basketball.

Most big time football programs still have more people showing up for basketball games than most mid-majors could fit in their gym.  It’s part of what they sell in the Power 5 conferences, the mentality that says “We are big time, the rest of the colleges are all just peasants beneath our notice”. Plus, if you are interested in getting to the NCAA tourney, all you have to be is .500 in your conference, and it’s usually easier for your friends to watch on tv, and you are usually playing someone they’ve heard of.

45 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

-it's up to the kid what is important to them, and perhaps their handlers, so every case is different

-Gonz as a non-football school has done alright, but no others are like them

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

they have more women. period. advantage big sports school. 

Box and Won likes this

3 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Ford has specifically talked about this. He's said that there are some kids who want to go where bball is king and not overshadowed by football and there are also some kids who are comfortable going to school in a city as opposed to a small town - these are the types of kids SLU needs to identify and target.

unfortunately no matter how disgusting NIL is, it is not going away.   toothpaste is out of the tube.   it will only lead to further separations of power and an eventual reformatting of division one sports.

18 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Most big time football programs still have more people showing up for basketball games than most mid-majors could fit in their gym.  It’s part of what they sell in the Power 5 conferences, the mentality that says “We are big time, the rest of the colleges are all just peasants beneath our notice”. Plus, if you are interested in getting to the NCAA tourney, all you have to be is .500 in your conference, and it’s usually easier for your friends to watch on tv, and you are usually playing someone they’ve heard of.

Link?

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

unfortunately no matter how disgusting NIL is, it is not going away.   toothpaste is out of the tube.   it will only lead to further separations of power and an eventual reformatting of division one sports.

Roy, people with enough money to throw away large amounts of it without blinking and not expecting to profit from it are not abundant. As far as I can see a solution about how to profit from NILs has yet to be found. The novelty of NILs will go down and without profits the number of donors or "investors" in NILs will go down. I have no doubt that some schools (I assume those with a large football related income) will be able to pay large basketball NILs. This will, in my opinion, not be the case for schools which are small to medium in size and have no football program income.

Yes, the cat is out of the bag, but I do not think SLU will be among the schools known for large basketball NIL payments.

6 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Roy, people with enough money to throw away large amounts of it without blinking and not expecting to profit from it are not abundant. As far as I can see a solution about how to profit from NILs has yet to be found. The novelty of NILs will go down and without profits the number of donors or "investors" in NILs will go down. I have no doubt that some schools (I assume those with a large football related income) will be able to pay large basketball NILs. This will, in my opinion, not be the case for schools which are small to medium in size and have no football program income.

Yes, the cat is out of the bag, but I do not think SLU will be among the schools known for large basketball NIL payments.

@Old guyyou've been spewing this take since day 1 and you've been wrong about it since day 0. NIL is never going anywhere, the only thing that may go anywhere is the small schools that try to adopt your school of thinking. People pay millions for digital pictures of a cartoon monkey nowadays - you think they're not gonna throw thousands at their alma mater's favorite athlete?

Plot twist - people with enough money don't care about making it back. You think Dr. Chaifetz profited from his donation to build the arena? Other than the ego stroke he gets from seeing his name on it, and some publicity of course, he sure as hell didn't. But it was to support a cause he cares about - that's a reason why people spend money and it always will be. 

Just now, Bills By 40 said:

@Old guyyou've been spewing this take since day 1 and you've been wrong about it since day 0. NIL is never going anywhere, the only thing that may go anywhere is the small schools that try to adopt your school of thinking. People pay millions for digital pictures of a cartoon monkey nowadays - you think they're not gonna throw thousands at their alma mater's favorite athlete?

Plot twist - people with enough money don't care about making it back. You think Dr. Chaifetz profited from his donation to build the arena? Other than the ego stroke he gets from seeing his name on it, and some publicity of course, he sure as hell didn't. But it was to support a cause he cares about - that's a reason why people spend money and it always will be. 

This is the correct take. NIL is not about monetary profit. It's driven by ego, love of alma mater it's athletic achievement.

I think there is a lot to be said however for small local businesses vs big donors swinging their c*cks around. Two Men and a Garden no doubt saw a big ROI on this Fred Thatch deal. It was a straight trade deal and on good will alone they are at least breaking even. These deals will see profit, the big money NLI aimed at talent will no doubt be a net financial loss for the donor writing the check and I think they are okay with that. There's not much difference between NLI and donating to the AD other than a tax write off.

I am curious as to just what Two Men and a Garden gave Fred that denotes a big ROI.  What was the straight trade deal as mentioned?  I see these things discussed in the abstract with no clear evidence of what went down.  Curious, that’s all.  

More importantly, I saw NIL as putting money in kids’ pockets for spending change in college.  I was educated on the pop per so many Instagram followers some time back but don’t get how free salsa or pickles or chicken tenders or even a Chevy Tahoe equate into the same monetary benefit as straight cash.