Recruiting - 2023

Pistol

On 8/5/2022 at 9:04 AM, slu72 said:

A blast from the past; Triangle and Too! Kind of miss him and his sure thing take it to the bank revelations , eg Brian Gregory is our new HC. Not that he was that accurate but that never stopped him from taking posting his wild ass guesses. Does anyone else think he still posts here but under a new moniker? Back in the day you couldn’t shut him up. Hard to figure he just quit cold turkey. 

Dont miss him at all!!!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Wow. It is always such a gut punch for recruits when they report to campus and realize there is more than one Manhattan.

Obi Toppin thought he was going to Daytona Beach, but the plane landed in Dayton.  That worked out okay for him.

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Anyone know if Rich has or will be taking an official visit to SLU?

Here’s an article about the visits Rich is planning on making so far. It doesn‘t list SLU. https://www.on3.com/news/macaleab-rich-sets-commitment-date-goes-in-depth-on-who-he-will-visit/

Here’s a quote about what he’s looking for in a school:

“I want to go somewhere where they welcome me like home,” Rich said. “I’d like to catch a great vibe with everyone, the players and coaches. I want to be confident it’s what fits me and my family best.

“Man, I just really like to hoop. I want to play in a system that gets up and down the floor and pushes the ball.”

7 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Thank you for the information coach it reads in my opinion a lean to Missouri.

No mention of SLU leads me to believe he is a long shot commit to SLU but I hope I am wrong.

Stating the obvious but the last few years have been about finding guys to fill in the pieces. The current season is most likely the final season for Yuri, Perkins, Hargrove, Okoro, Forester, Pickett and Thatch. 

Tons of PT and guys who are looking for chances to start on a team that's (almost) starting over. It's 2023-24 is basically Jimerson, Parker, Thames, Kramer, Hughes, with only 1 a lock to start that season. 

Obviously a gigantic class for Ford and a real test to see if he can reload instead of rebuild. 

Old guy likes this

17 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

The current season is most likely the final season for Yuri, Perkins, Hargrove, Okoro, Forester, Pickett and Thatch.

I know I could think thru it, but figure someone already has. With the guys above who is definitely out of eligibility after this season and who will still have the ability to use the COVID season after this spring? I know Perkins and Pickett are doing just that this season.

Crewsorlose likes this

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

Thank you for the information coach it reads in my opinion a lean to Missouri.

No mention of SLU leads me to believe he is a long shot commit to SLU but I hope I am wrong.

I obviously don’t have any insight to his recruiting, but on3 is P5 only. It’s an odd site. They have this weird NIL calculator thing too - it’s odd.

with these articles they can only answer the questions they are asked. If those schools mentioned in the article are the only ones he was asked about, those are the ones that get answered.

FWIW, if he does end up at Mizzou, it would be the first time SLU loses to Mizzou in a battle for a local high school since…. Torrence Watson? And he’s at Elon now. Yaya Keita? Can anyone think of someone more recent?

CBFan likes this

20 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I know I could think thru it, but figure someone already has. With the guys above who is definitely out of eligibility after this season and who will still have the ability to use the COVID season after this spring? I know Perkins and Pickett are doing just that this season.

perkins, okoro pickett forrester

TheChosenOne likes this

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

FWIW, if he does end up at Mizzou, it would be the first time SLU loses to Mizzou in a battle for a local high school since…. Torrence Watson? And he’s at Elon now. Yaya Keita? Can anyone think of someone more recent?

Local guys who played at Mizzou during the Cuonzo Martin era would include Jordan Barnett (transfer in from Texas), Cullen VanLeer, Jeremiah Tilmon (after committing to Illinois), Mark Smith (transfer in from Illinois), Javon Pickett (after committing to Illinois), Torrence Watson (after committing to Ohio State), Ronnie Suggs (transfer in as a walk-on from Bradley), Mario McKinney, and Yaya Keita. 6/9 of those were transfers or decommits, so it is hard to say any were true recruiting battles we were involved in and there is certainly a wide delta between the caliber of those guys as recruits or even transfers with the 3 non transfers/decommits being guys I do not think we were overly involved with if at all in some cases. I do recall Frank at one point saying Tilmon was in play for SLU while he was committed to Illinois which I thought was one of the times Frank should have kept some info to himself. It didn't seem like anyone covering Mizzou had a great line to the coaching staff with Cuonzo, so it was always hard to know too much about their recruiting beyond the results being poor. Like I have no idea how involved they were with an obvious upgrade to their roster in a SLU star like Yuri Collins.

2 hours ago, Crewsorlose said:

Stating the obvious but the last few years have been about finding guys to fill in the pieces. The current season is most likely the final season for Yuri, Perkins, Hargrove, Okoro, Forester, Pickett and Thatch

Tons of PT and guys who are looking for chances to start on a team that's (almost) starting over. It's 2023-24 is basically Jimerson, Parker, Thames, Kramer, Hughes, with only 1 a lock to start that season. 

Obviously a gigantic class for Ford and a real test to see if he can reload instead of rebuild. 

No inside knowledge at all, but I'd be pretty surprised if all 3 of those guys in bold with 1 "bonus" year of eligibility available moved on.

Another thing for Billiken fans to fret over is that this coming season will be Jimerson's 4th at SLU.  I'd guess he'll have his undergrad degree already by the end of the year.  Again, no inside knowledge & I really hope he stays, but it seems more likely for a who already has his degree to move on than a guy who doesn't.

Finally, you are also missing Momo Cisse from the returning players, but the point is valid that there should be plenty of PT available for 2023-24.

bauman likes this

15 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Funny enough, I've heard neither SLU nor Mizzou as the most probable outcome.

I am not sure how it works with regards to sharing information from pay sites, but someone posted on one that based on information from those who would certainly know, if choosing today the choice would not be SLU or Mizzou. But, he has not taken any visits, so things can certainly change and the school said to be the current choice would likely not be high on any of our lists to spend our college years.

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

I am not sure how it works with regards to sharing information from pay sites, but someone posted on one that based on information from those who would certainly know, if choosing today the choice would not be SLU or Mizzou. But, he has not taken any visits, so things can certainly change and the school said to be the current choice would likely not be high on any of our lists to spend our college years.

This has to be referring to Columbia or Manhattan, and since you said it isn't Mizzou, I'll guess the answer is Kansas State.