Recruiting - 2023

Pistol

57 minutes ago, bauman said:

I like his attitude, but he has only attracted a fairly weak group of offers.  When was the last time we recruited and signed a P5 quality freshman recruit?  The French/ Goodwin year?  In spite of all the hype of TF being such a good recruiter, I think we need an Asst that can recruit at a higher level than we have been doing recently and it seems like our Texas connection isn't producing anything at all.

Maybe that's the recruiting world we now live in, with immediate eligibility and the pay to play joke known as  NIL  I know some of the local experts view the incoming group of FR as having excellent potential, but really, do they generate anything even close to the excitement we had about 5 years ago when we signed C A Gordon and J Goodwin?  As I project our known and probable roster losses after this upcoming season,  I believe that this is THE YEAR we need to make hay in the A 10 and NCAA. 

We have two probable first teamers on this year's squad and neither of them were P5 quality freshmen recruits.  In fact, most of the guys on a typical A10 All-Conference team were not P5 quality recruits as freshmen.  That's why they're in the A10 in the first place.  

I understand that offering a player that already has high-major offers legitimizes that player in the eyes of most fans.  But waiting until a player gets offered by a high major before you offer isn't an optimal recruiting strategy.  If you've done your due diligence and are really impressed by a player, you should offer.  It's only a matter of time before that caliber of player gets offered by a  high-major.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, bauman said:

I like his attitude, but he has only attracted a fairly weak group of offers.  When was the last time we recruited and signed a P5 quality freshman recruit?  The French/ Goodwin year?  In spite of all the hype of TF being such a good recruiter, I think we need an Asst that can recruit at a higher level than we have been doing recently and it seems like our Texas connection isn't producing anything at all.

Maybe that's the recruiting world we now live in, with immediate eligibility and the pay to play joke known as  NIL  I know some of the local experts view the incoming group of FR as having excellent potential, but really, do they generate anything even close to the excitement we had about 5 years ago when we signed C A Gordon and J Goodwin?  As I project our known and probable roster losses after this upcoming season,  I believe that this is THE YEAR we need to make hay in the A 10 and NCAA. 

Duh, Jordan Nesbitt, top 100 recruit.

48 minutes ago, bauman said:

Post-Covid and transfer portal era recruiting is going to be weird for a few years. In my eyes, a guy's offer list doesn't matter as much these days, because a lot of people that would have previously garnered P5 interest just won't get it anymore as coaches focus on transfers. As long as the staff can identify talent, which they have shown a great ability to do through various means, SLU will be just fine. We have multiple transfer down players on this roster, and certainly other guys who would play major minutes at power programs. If this year's team wins as much as we think they can, recruiting will be in a great spot heading into next year. 

3star_recruit likes this

25 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

We just offered one of the best shooters in Missouri.  Every 6'5 sniper with a quick trigger won't end up being Gibson Jimerson but I think targeting this type of player is a sound recruiting strategy.

Yes. SWMO is a quiet hotbed of talent too. It wouldn’t hurt to pull someone from the region every 3-5 years.

27 minutes ago, drkelsey55 said:

How tall is he? Listed as 6'5" 6'6" and 6'7" in different tweets.

He's 6'6.  My "6'5 sniper" statement was a generic one to refer to any shooter around that height.  What's more important is he has long arms so his rebounding may actually translate to the college level.

I like Pock. Knockdown shooter, good size, good feel. Smart, too - 4.0 GPA. Already a 2x all-state player and now he's got the most prestigious AAU title, and he played a solid role for MOKAN, too. Also plays for his HS tennis team, which is not a combo you see very often. I like a well-rounded human being. Those guys generally make good teammates.

Kyle Pock - SF, 6-6, 180 - Bolivar, MO (Bolivar) - AAU: MOKAN Elite (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @kylepock
Offers: Saint Louis, Northern Iowa, Missouri State, Indiana State, Illinois-Chicago, Southeast Missouri, South Dakota State, Oral Roberts, Lipscomb.

Interest: Dayton, Creighton, Butler, Wisconsin, Purdue, Nebraska, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri, Texas, Virginia, Clemson, Kansas State, Utah, Boise State, East Carolina, Saint Mary's, San Francisco, SIU-Carbondale, Belmont, Murray State, Drake, Illinois State, Evansville, Harvard, Princeton, Rice, Florida Atlantic, Miami-Ohio, Cleveland State, Milwaukee, SIU-Edwardsville, Lindenwood, Chattanooga, East Tennessee State, Wofford, Furman, Lehigh, Navy, Elon, Marist, Louisiana-Monroe, Vermont, Albany, South Dakota, Kansas City, UC-Riverside, Central Arkansas, Jacksonville State, Stetson, Liberty, Southern Utah, Abilene Christian, Fairleigh Dickinson, Alabama State.

Latest News: Pock received an offer from SLU. (7/29/22)

Scouting Report: Pock is a knockdown shooter who scores efficiently on three levels. He has long range and a quick release, with excellent mechanics. He's a smart player who moves well without the ball to find spots for himself. He can also get to the rim and finish. He's a solid rebounder and good passer, too. He guards multiple positions and creates steals and blocks. He also plays tennis. Rankings: Prep Hoops - 287.

Zink likes this

Now that we've offered 3 Vashon kids in short order, I'm wondering if more could be in play. Jordan Logan and Jayden Nicholson, in particular. Nicholson was the hyped middle schooler who's kept up his profile as a D-I recruit but not at the level originally expected. Whereas Logan has turned heads recently for MPJ Elite, just got his first offer from FIU.

39 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Now that we've offered 3 Vashon kids in short order, I'm wondering if more could be in play. Jordan Logan and Jayden Nicholson, in particular. Nicholson was the hyped middle schooler who's kept up his profile as a D-I recruit but not at the level originally expected. Whereas Logan has turned heads recently for MPJ Elite, just got his first offer from FIU.

The way I see it, we're looking to fill 4 scholarships:  Perkins, Okoro, Forrester, and Yuri (yes, I know he technically has one more year left).  We've offered plenty of PG/combo guards and swingmen.  AAU season is over.  If a player in that mold hasn't received an offer by now, he probably won't get one unless additional scholarships open up in the spring.  

I'd expect the next scholarship offer to go to a big and for us to hit the transfer portal hard in the spring.  Jordan Logan is a developing big.  If he has a strong senior season, he will probably get MM+ looks in the spring.  

Pistol likes this

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The way I

The way I see it, we're looking to fill 4 scholarships:  Perkins, Okoro, Forrester, and Yuri (yes, I know he technically has one more year left).  We've offered plenty of PG/combo guards and swingmen.  AAU season is over.  If a player in that mold hasn't received an offer by now, he probably won't get one unless additional scholarships open up in the spring.  

I'd expect the next scholarship offer to go to a big and for us to hit the transfer portal hard in the spring.  Jordan Logan is a developing big.  If he has a strong senior season, he will probably get MM+ looks in the spring.  

Regardless, Forte is following him now so he goes on the interest list:

Jordan Logan - PF, 6-8, 180 - St. Louis, MO (Vashon) - AAU: MPJ Elite - Twitter: @JordaannL
Offers: Florida International.

Interest: Saint Louis, VCU, St. Bonaventure, Missouri, SIU-Carbondale, Sam Houston State, SIU-Edwardsville, Southeast Missouri, Lindenwood, Navy, Louisiana-Monroe, Albany, South Dakota State, Cal State-Fullerton, Liberty, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, Radford.

Latest News: Logan received an offer from FIU. (7/29/22)

Scouting Report: Logan is a long, bouncy, energetic forward with an inside-out game. He's an elite defender who disrupts passing lanes and blocks shots using his length and persistence. He switches with ease and moves really well at both ends, as well as in transition. He has outstanding leaping ability, making him an explosive finisher, lob threat, and offensive rebounder with burst who's hard to box out. He has soft touch and can step out and shoot it from beyond the perimeter.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Yeah.  Jordan definitely has potential.  

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

I found in a news article that Pock is interested in biomedical engineering. SLU has a good BME program. Could end up giving us an unexpected edge.

Strong biomedical engineering programs are generally found in Universities with Medical Schools and strong Physical Therapy Grad programs. SLU is strong in both of these areas, so we can make a good case for our biomedical engineering program to students with a strong interest in this field.