Recruiting - 2023

Pistol

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

We've always recruited the Chicago high school market.  We offer between 2-4 kids a year, we just haven't landed anybody, outside of Demarius Jacobs, and that was after he went to prep school.

I'm aware of that, thus the comment "I suspect historically it has been our best recruiting market outside of St. Louis." And Parker is from Rockford. By "starting to hit the Chicago area" I meant specifically about the class of 2023. Prior to this a large percentage of the names have been from Texas.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

We've always recruited the Chicago high school market.  We offer between 2-4 kids a year, we just haven't landed anybody, outside of Demarius Jacobs, and that was after he went to prep school.

It's been a while since we seriously pursued anyone from Chicago, though. The only one in the 2022 class with an offer was Ola Ajiboye, and that was a couple years ago when he was still a 2021 recruit. The only current Chicago-area guy on the interest lists (there could be others I haven't found) is Ash Williamson from Gary, IN. So while I don't disagree with you in terms of SLU's history, there has been a gap recently.

ACE likes this

12 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It's been a while since we seriously pursued anyone from Chicago, though. The only one in the 2022 class with an offer was Ola Ajiboye, and that was a couple years ago when he was still a 2021 recruit. The only current Chicago-area guy on the interest lists (there could be others I haven't found) is Ash Williamson from Gary, IN. So while I don't disagree with you in terms of SLU's history, there has been a gap recently.

In the 2021 class we offered Ahmad Bynum (Depaul), John Poulakidas (Yale) and Troy D'Amico (SIU). 

The depth in the 2022 Illinois/Chicago class, however, was the shallowest we've seen in many years.  After you got past the top 5 guys in the Chicago metro, the talent fell off precipitously.  The 6th ranked guy was an early bloomer who didn't live up to the hype.  The 7th ranked guy went to Eastern Illinois.  You can't offer players that aren't there.

6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

In the 2021 class we offered Ahmad Bynum (Depaul), John Poulakidas (Yale) and Troy D'Amico (SIU). 

The depth in the 2022 Illinois/Chicago class, however, was the shallowest we've seen in many years.  After you got past the top 5 guys in the Chicago metro, the talent fell off precipitously.  The 6th ranked guy was an early bloomer who didn't live up to the hype.  The 7th ranked guy went to Eastern Illinois.  You can't offer players that aren't there.

Right, which means we were offering those 2021 guys 3 years ago (June 2019 for all of them, and Ajiboye was a few months later). Between that and so few offers/interests in 2023-2025, it's more of a gap for SLU recruiting the Chicago area than I've seen since I've been paying attention to this stuff. And you're right, it's partly due to Chicago not being as deep as usual.

New offer bio:

Dalen Davis - PG, 5-11, 165 - Chicago, IL (Whitney Young) - AAU: Meanstreets (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @DalenDavis2
Offers: Saint Louis, DePaul, Illinois, Northwestern, Nebraska, South Carolina, Kansas, Kansas State, Stanford, Murray State, Indiana State, Illinois State, Illinois-Chicago, Harvard, Toledo, Ball State, Appalachian State, Western Illinois.

Interest: Dayton, Loyola-Chicago, George Washington, Creighton, Xavier, Marquette, Purdue, Iowa, Minnesota, Vanderbilt, Georgia, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech, Utah, Arizona State, SMU, Central Florida, Tulsa, South Florida, Santa Clara, Drake, SIU-Carbondale, Missouri State, Bradley, Princeton, Rice, Ohio, Miami-Ohio, Eastern Michigan, Northern Illinois, Milwaukee, IUPUI, SIU-Edwardsville, Tennessee-Martin, Southern Indiana, Chattanooga, William & Mary, Siena, Arkansas State, Louisiana-Monroe, Vermont, UMBC, South Dakota State, North Dakota State, Jacksonville State, Stetson, Liberty, Utah Valley, Northwestern State, Mount St. Mary's, Howard.

Latest News: Davis received offers from SLU and K-State. (7/12/22)

Scouting Report: Davis is a compact but highly productive point guard who scores and distributes in equal measure. He has burst to blow by defenders and score at the rim and he's a knockdown shooter off the catch or the dribble. He sets up his teammates and plays well in the pick-and-roll. He's poised, confident, and efficient. His brother Devin plays at Creighton.

13 hours ago, Pistol said:

Other offers that I'll have bios up for soon: PG Cian Medley, C Anthony Robinson. I actually have one for Robinson but haven't updated it in a few months and he went from 0 to 15 offers in that time span.

Anthony Robinson - PF, 6-10, 230 - Starr's Mill, GA (The Christ School, NC) - AAU: Team Huncho (Adidas 3SSB) - Twitter: @AnthonyRob35
Offers: Saint Louis, St. Bonaventure, Duquesne, South Florida, Missouri State, Illinois-Chicago, Charlotte, Akron, UNC-Wilmington, Boston, Coastal Carolina, Radford, Hampton, UNC-Asheville, South Carolina-Upstate, Mount St. Mary's.

Interest: Dayton, Loyola-Chicago, George Washington, Xavier, Illinois, Minnesota, Tennessee, Arkansas, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Boston College, Utah, SMU, Temple, East Carolina, Belmont, Murray State, SIU-Carbondale, Yale, Cornell, Brown, Old Dominion, Rice, Florida International, Louisiana Tech, Marshall, Wright State, Milwaukee, Morehead State, Tennessee Tech, Wofford, East Tennessee State, Furman, UNC-Greensboro, Samford, Holy Cross, American, Army, Elon, Georgia State, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Western Carolina, Vermont, Albany, UMBC, Binghamton, Weber State, Jacksonville State, Liberty, Abilene Christian, New Orleans, McNeese State, Winthrop, Longwood, Presbyterian, North Carolina A&T, North Carolina Central, Coppin State, Alabama A&M, Chicago State.

Latest News: Robinson received an offer from Coastal Carolina. (7/12/22)

Scouting Report: Robinson is a skilled big who attacks the basket with speed and force. He gets up and down the court well and is an excellent rebounder and defender. He can step out and shoot it beyond the perimeter. He knows how to seal off defenders and then finishes strong. He has a good frame, with wide shoulders, big hands, and good length. He's a high-level shot blocker. He transferred to the Christ School in NC after spending his freshman year at Starr's Mill in GA.

13 hours ago, Pistol said:

Other offers that I'll have bios up for soon: PG Cian Medley, C Anthony Robinson. I actually have one for Robinson but haven't updated it in a few months and he went from 0 to 15 offers in that time span.

Cian Medley - PG, 6-0, 150 - Camden, NJ (Camden) - AAU: NJ Scholars (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @treyballc
Offers: Saint Louis, St. Joseph's, Illinois-Chicago, Robert Morris, Drexel, Saint Peter's, Manhattan, Siena, Rider, Fairfield, Albany, UC-Santa Barbara, Florida Gulf Coast, Radford, St. Francis (PA).

Interest: Loyola-Chicago, VCU, Richmond, George Washington, Seton Hall, Boise State, SMU, Temple, Cornell, Columbia, Murray State, SIU-Carbondale, Illinois State, Illinois-Chicago, Missouri State, Rice, Kent State, Bowling Green, East Tennessee State, Holy Cross, Towson, James Madison, Georgia State, Appalachian State, Louisiana-Monroe, Iona, Stony Brook, Wagner, Vermont, Maine, NJIT, Binghamton, UNC-Asheville, Longwood, Mount St. Mary's, Fairleigh Dickinson, Loyola-Maryland.

Latest News: Medley received an offer from SLU (7/12/22)

Scouting Report: Medley is a quick lead guard with a strong all-around game and ability to fill a stat sheet. He has a fluid jumper with a quick trigger and range out past the perimeter. He's shifty driving to the basket and gets down the floor extremely fast. He sees the floor very well and finds his teammates anywhere. He's a very tough defender.

I wish Travis would find a coaching spot for Drejaj. He’s an EC guy with probably lots of connections since he’s a HS coach there. Competitor plus lives the game. Just seems like a good fit for us. But, really, what do I know. 
Why aren’t we hearing more about kids from Memphis and AR? Wouldn’t that be Robbie’s territory? I’d think we’d have a better shot w/ kids from those states than TX and OK. 

50 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I wish Travis would find a coaching spot for Drejaj. He’s an EC guy with probably lots of connections since he’s a HS coach there. Competitor plus lives the game. Just seems like a good fit for us. But, really, what do I know. 
Why aren’t we hearing more about kids from Memphis and AR? Wouldn’t that be Robbie’s territory? I’d think we’d have a better shot w/ kids from those states than TX and OK. 

I'm not sure who you mean by Robbie.  If you are referring to Roby, he is not a coach and as I understand the recruiting rules, he cannot recruit.

Whoever TF gets as the new Asst. Coach, I hope he excels as a recruiter because I think the incoming Freshmen class is well below the quality needed to compete at the top of the A 10.  They are all nice players but not difference makers.  A serious question for readers of this Board.  Have any of you gotten excited over any of our signed Freshmen?  I think Travis needs to pick up the level of recruiting, which is supposed to be his strength.

Maybe in the new CBB world order of recruiting (instant eligibility and NIL payoffs) getting the top 100 FR recruits isn't that important.

27 minutes ago, bauman said:

I'm not sure who you mean by Robbie.  If you are referring to Roby, he is not a coach and as I understand the recruiting rules, he cannot recruit.

Whoever TF gets as the new Asst. Coach, I hope he excels as a recruiter because I think the incoming Freshmen class is well below the quality needed to compete at the top of the A 10.  They are all nice players but not difference makers.  A serious question for readers of this Board.  Have any of you gotten excited over any of our signed Freshmen?  I think Travis needs to pick up the level of recruiting, which is supposed to be his strength.

Maybe in the new CBB world order of recruiting (instant eligibility and NIL payoffs) getting the top 100 FR recruits isn't that important.

Expecting top 150 recruits to sit for a year behind 30 minute a game starters isn't a reasonable expectation in my opinion.  We get that caliber player when seniors graduate, i.e the 2023 class.

BuiltFordBills and almaman like this

27 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Expecting top 150 recruits to sit for a year behind 30 minute a game starters isn't a reasonable expectation in my opinion.  We get that caliber player when seniors graduate, i.e the 2023 class.

That is exactly what a 3 star recruit would want us to believe.

51 minutes ago, bauman said:

I have to disagree.  I am excited about our freshman and their potential.  With the talent we presently have, I don't know if we will see it for at least two years.  However, with where we are as a program, I am very happy with these recruits.

1 hour ago, bauman said:

first, i can only imagine coach ford's tougher sell when our depth chart and experience goes as deep as it does.  those newbie players that have the talent that easily exceed what we already have, likely have other options that give them an opportunity for more immediate playing time. 

that said, i personally like all our newbies.  i think you are going to be surprised. 

11 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

first, i can only imagine coach ford's tougher sell when our depth chart and experience goes as deep as it does.  those newbie players that have the talent that easily exceed what we already have, likely have other options that give them an opportunity for more immediate playing time. 

that said, i personally like all our newbies.  i think you are going to be surprised. 

I could easily see one of our freshman going from an 8 min a game player with a handful of DNPs to a 25 min starter the following season.  3 star recruits who blossom as sophomores and juniors have been an in essential ingredient in our success.

13 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I am taking a wait and see approach with our newbies.  If any of them cracks the rotation I'd be shocked.  

As a fan, it is a better place to be than all of us hoping Vashun Newborne is going to come in and average 25-12 because he looked like a stud shooting by himself in West Pine and dominating Ross Varner.  Ah MBM memories....

ACE and Billikenbooster like this

On 7/13/2022 at 2:54 PM, SLU_Nick said:

I am taking a wait and see approach with our newbies.  If any of them cracks the rotation I'd be shocked.  

As a fan, it is a better place to be than all of us hoping Vashun Newborne is going to come in and average 25-12 because he looked like a stud shooting by himself in West Pine and dominating Ross Varner.  Ah MBM memories....

Talk about dashed expectations and Vashon immediately comes to mind. The oohs and aahs he garnered.at West Pine quickly turned to moans and groans once the games began. 

Cameron Carr - SG, 6-4, 170 - Manhattan, KS (Link Academy, MO) - AAU: MOKAN Elite (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @cameroncarr43
Offers: Saint Louis, George Mason, Kansas State, Boise State, SIU-Carbondale, Missouri State, Sam Houston State, Oral Roberts.

Interest: Creighton, DePaul, Tennessee, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Stanford, California, Utah, Boise State, Wichita State, SMU, Temple, Saint Mary's, Northern Iowa, Illinois-Chicago, Evansville, Cornell, Florida Atlantic, Northern Illinois, Milwaukee, Samford, Charleston, Elon, Albany, North Dakota, Cal State-Fullerton, Jacksonville.

Latest News: Carr played well for MOKAN at the fourth EYBL session in KC. (7/15/22)

Scouting Report: Carr is a scoring guard with good size and length. He's got a clean, easy stroke off the catch or the bounce. He moves well off the ball to get open. He can put it on the floor and get to the rim. He's slender but doesn't shy from contact. He is the son of former SIUC and NBA player Chris Carr, who now coaches at Drury. His sister Chrissy plays at Arkansas (previously at Syracuse and K-State). He transferred from Manhattan HS in Kansas to Link Academy in Branson before his junior year.

-Based on MOKAN's tweet history, I think all his offers - including SLU - are pretty new. I don't think he played much on a loaded Link team last season but MOKAN really spreads out minutes and production. Both programs are coached by Rodney Perry. Carr's dad Chris played at SIUC in the early-mid 90s and faced SLU 4 times before going on to play in the NBA for about 6 years. He coached the Eden Prairie (MN) girls' program for several years and started an AAU program in the Twin Cities before joining K-State's women's staff. Now he's coaching in the men's program at Drury, not far from Link, which is in Branson.

CBFan likes this

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2022 at 11:00 PM, Pistol said:

Cian Medley - PG, 6-0, 150 - Camden, NJ (Camden) - AAU: NJ Scholars (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @treyballc
Offers: Saint Louis, St. Joseph's, Illinois-Chicago, Robert Morris, Drexel, Saint Peter's, Manhattan, Siena, Rider, Fairfield, Albany, UC-Santa Barbara, Florida Gulf Coast, Radford, St. Francis (PA).

Interest: Loyola-Chicago, VCU, Richmond, George Washington, Seton Hall, Boise State, SMU, Temple, Cornell, Columbia, Murray State, SIU-Carbondale, Illinois State, Illinois-Chicago, Missouri State, Rice, Kent State, Bowling Green, East Tennessee State, Holy Cross, Towson, James Madison, Georgia State, Appalachian State, Louisiana-Monroe, Iona, Stony Brook, Wagner, Vermont, Maine, NJIT, Binghamton, UNC-Asheville, Longwood, Mount St. Mary's, Fairleigh Dickinson, Loyola-Maryland.

Latest News: Medley received an offer from SLU (7/12/22)

Scouting Report: Medley is a quick lead guard with a strong all-around game and ability to fill a stat sheet. He has a fluid jumper with a quick trigger and range out past the perimeter. He's shifty driving to the basket and gets down the floor extremely fast. He sees the floor very well and finds his teammates anywhere. He's a very tough defender.

Here’s an article on Medley. Looks like he plans on visiting SLU and FGCU at some point.

https://247sports.com/Article/College-basketball-recruiting-three-star-point-guard-cian-medley-Saint-Louis-Florida-Gulf-Coast-190526344/

Pistol likes this

2 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Here’s an article on Medley. Looks like he plans on visiting SLU and FGCU at some point.

https://247sports.com/Article/College-basketball-recruiting-three-star-point-guard-cian-medley-Saint-Louis-Florida-Gulf-Coast-190526344/

Good quote:

SLU: “I like the way they play. It’s a point guard program and talking to the coaches they told me I could come in with the chance to have the ball in my hands.”

SLU should be a very attractive destination for 2023 PGs. I'm sure the staff is pointing to Yuri's success as a template.

-another line I liked- “I don’t care what I do out there it is all about winning and playing hard and that’s all," Medley told 247Sports. "I’m wiling to do whatever it takes, whatever it takes to win. If that is to defend, pass, score or anything a coach asks me to do that’s what I’m going to do.”

16 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I like his attitude, but he has only attracted a fairly weak group of offers.  When was the last time we recruited and signed a P5 quality freshman recruit?  The French/ Goodwin year?  In spite of all the hype of TF being such a good recruiter, I think we need an Asst that can recruit at a higher level than we have been doing recently and it seems like our Texas connection isn't producing anything at all.

Maybe that's the recruiting world we now live in, with immediate eligibility and the pay to play joke known as  NIL  I know some of the local experts view the incoming group of FR as having excellent potential, but really, do they generate anything even close to the excitement we had about 5 years ago when we signed C A Gordon and J Goodwin?  As I project our known and probable roster losses after this upcoming season,  I believe that this is THE YEAR we need to make hay in the A 10 and NCAA. 

19 minutes ago, bauman said:

Maybe that's the recruiting world we now live in, with immediate eligibility and the pay to play joke known as  NIL  I know some of the local experts view the incoming group of FR as having excellent potential, but really, do they generate anything even close to the excitement we had about 5 years ago when we signed C A Gordon and J Goodwin?  As I project our known and probable roster losses after this upcoming season,  I believe that this is THE YEAR we need to make hay in the A 10 and NCAA. 

Respectfully, no sh!t. 

It's hard to bring in high quality recruits without promised PT. As we lose some of our key pieces and that PT frees up our odds of landing an impact P5 freshman increase drastically. No kid that would meet the standards you're setting wants to be a bench rider so unless we can offer more than that we won't get said kid. 

I'm fine with developing players and filling voids with transfers - seems like an easier route than hoping to hang on to talented 18/19 year olds in the world of NIL and immediate transfer eligibility.