Recruiting - 2023

Pistol

On 6/17/2020 at 10:12 AM, gobillsgo said:

Not really... we can just show recruits the game tape from this past season.

If a recruit flies to Kansas City airport and drives to K-State for many miles with the most noticeable attraction Leavenworth Prison and then on to Manhattan, Kansas which is a college town island far from civilization he is not the same kid wanting the energy of a city college atmosphere where blocks away a major soccer arena is being built and NHL hockey and MLB are within 2 miles. Our campus and facilities are just more interesting 

3star_recruit likes this

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, GOSLU68 said:

If a recruit flies to Kansas City airport and drives to K-State for many miles with the most noticeable attraction Leavenworth Prison and then on to Manhattan, Kansas which is a college town island far from civilization he is not the same kid wanting the energy of a city college atmosphere where blocks away a major soccer arena is being built and NHL hockey and MLB are within 2 miles. Our campus and facilities are just more interesting 

I think you are looking at this thru the eyes of someone who went to SLU in 68 not a kid of today. They could probably care less about soccer,mlb much less hockey. That said we have a lot to offer. Great facilities among them. 

HoosierPal likes this

On 9/4/2021 at 8:18 PM, willie said:

I think you are looking at this thru the eyes of someone who went to SLU in 68 not a kid of today. They could probably care less about soccer,mlb much less hockey. That said we have a lot to offer. Great facilities among them. 

Well, kids of today can see the amazing K-State purple and gray uniforms and stadium and realize that no matter how well they do, they will look ridiculous.

On 9/4/2021 at 7:54 PM, GOSLU68 said:

I agree with Willie.  How many of our players go to Cardinal games or Blues games?  Possibly none.  Same for the new MLS team.  Many high school basketball players are also not in a position to take advantage of a "city college atmosphere."  I think most of them have spent most of their lives within so many blocks of their homes with the exception of AAU tournaments.  Their experience when traveling to AAU tournaments is staying at an off the highway hotel and going to a facility that's not all that impressive other than the amount of players and teams they encounter.

The idea of going off to live for a few years in a place where you get a variety of food whenever you want and are around thousands of other kids your age is what is exciting to recruits.  I don't think the thought of "what does the town where the school exists have to offer" comes into the decision making process.

I think we sometimes make much to big a deal out of the draw of our urban campus.

Box and Won likes this

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I agree with Willie.  How many of our players go to Cardinal games or Blues games?  Possibly none.  Same for the new MLS team.  Many high school basketball players are also not in a position to take advantage of a "city college atmosphere."  I think most of them have spent most of their lives within so many blocks of their homes with the exception of AAU tournaments.  Their experience when traveling to AAU tournaments is staying at an off the highway hotel and going to a facility that's not all that impressive other than the amount of players and teams they encounter.

The idea of going off to live for a few years in a place where you get a variety of food whenever you want and are around thousands of other kids your age is what is exciting to recruits.  I don't think the thought of "what does the town where the school exists have to offer" comes into the decision making process.

I think we sometimes make much to big a deal out of the draw of our urban campus.

When Ford was hired, he mentioned that in recruiting there are some kids from urban areas, who do not want to go to small towns like Stillwater, Oklahoma, Manhattan, Kansas, etc. - they are more comfortable going to urban schools. He said that SLU, some other A-10 schools and Big East schools have an advantage with some (not all kids) because of their campus location - the key was to identify those kids early in the recruiting process. 

3star_recruit likes this

7 hours ago, ACE said:

When Ford was hired, he mentioned that in recruiting there are some kids from urban areas, who do not want to go to small towns like Stillwater, Oklahoma, Manhattan, Kansas, etc. - they are more comfortable going to urban schools. He said that SLU, some other A-10 schools and Big East schools have an advantage with some (not all kids) because of their campus location - the key was to identify those kids early in the recruiting process. 

The big wild card that has developed since Coach came to SLU is NIL.  Now there is the business side of which school you choose.  EStL's Luther Burden said his decommitment from Oklahoma was a 'business decision'.  That says a lot as to what's now going on.

So, as Coach Tate said in his recent interview, will a recruit be more interested in STL (urban setting), as there are numerous potential NIL options, or will that recruit go to a smaller college town where the high $$ NIL, but limited offers may tap out quickly. 

3star_recruit likes this

19 hours ago, ACE said:

To add to this, it's not just about comfort, it's also about a kid's personality and what they're interested in. I know that a lot of my peers (I'm currently a senior) came to SLU because of the fact that it isn't in the middle of nowhere. While college towns (especially at large state schools like Mizzou) have a lot to offer, they don't really compare to an actual city. While St. Louis isn't New York, Chicago, or LA, there will always be something to do on a Friday or Saturday night. While it may be a bit off-base to cite our sports teams in this regard, I think that 68's logic is still accurate. 

rgbilliken likes this

I think the location of our campus can be a selling point depending on the kid. I think it's 1/1,000,000 who care that we have professional sports teams in our town. The lack of a NBA team maybe but the Cardinals and Blues don't mean much in a recruiting pitch. Maybe it means something once they get here

NoCoBillsFan likes this

22 hours ago, ACE said:

If he said that, then I would defer to Coach Ford.  It does sound like even he thinks that it doesn't matter to some and does to others.

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

I've actually seen studies showing a strong correlation between elite basketball players and their excitement level for Topgolf, look out! Some people like some things......

holy cow get The Doc in contact with them  pronto. assume done already. proposed site practically on campus.

It goes without question that the state of a program and its perceived ability to maximize a player's potential is the biggest factor for recruiting. But when a player has 20+ offers, many of which coming from similar-caliber programs, a school's facilities and location definitely play a factor. Like I said, our sports teams probably have little impact, but I guarantee that there are other attractions that do (and no, I don't mean TopGolf either).

23 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

It goes without question that the state of a program and its perceived ability to maximize a player's potential is the biggest factor for recruiting. But when a player has 20+ offers, many of which coming from similar-caliber programs, a school's facilities and location definitely play a factor. Like I said, our sports teams probably have little impact, but I guarantee that there are other attractions that do (and no, I don't mean TopGolf either).

You mean, Six Flags. Done. The Zoo is free as well. A moderately useable mass transit system (MetroLink). Check. A world class post modern edification, the Arch, which really is in a class of its own.  But really, these kids are drawn to the City Museum. Jump, climb, crawl, a real gem for kids to enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...