Recruiting - 2023

Pistol

It's that time of year again. College and HS schedules are coming into focus and the 2019 period is just about closed. What's the incoming STL HS freshman class looking like? Who should be on our radar?

Here are some names I'm seeing:
Jayden Nicholson - Hazelwood Central - Right now, most rankings have him in the top 10 nationally.
Jordan Pickett - Belleville East - Javon's (Mizzou) little brother.
Jorden Williams - Can't figure out where he's going to HS but he's a Missouri kid showing up in top 100 rankings.
McKinley Williams - Hazelwood Central - Should be a good running mate for Nicholson.

Compton likes this

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff on some recruits in other classes, too (Larry Hughes II, Trinity Bell). Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like Pickett has the ability to be as good or better than his brother. I doubt he stays in the SW IL Jets AAU program, though, despite what the blurb says.

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Good stuff on some recruits in other classes, too (Larry Hughes II, Trinity Bell). Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like Pickett has the ability to be as good or better than his brother. I doubt he stays in the SW IL Jets AAU program, though, despite what the blurb says.

Yeah.  Jordan has better guard skills than Javon did at this age.  The family is pretty loyal to the Jets.  Javon played there...Jordan use to sit on the bench as a young kid with a jersey they made for him lol.  Anything is possible tho..

Pistol likes this

• 5 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Pistol said:

The kids own twitter says that it is his first offer. 

I know 2023 is a long way away, but it seems crazy for SLU to be the first offer for anyone (I don't recall that happening in the past) especially a kid from VA.  Kudos to Ford & Co. for getting on him early if he turns out to be a stud.

It's also SLU's first 2023 offer. Interesting that it's not a local kid. The first 2022 offer went to Tarris Reed just a few months ago.

This isn't the first time SLU is in the Newport News-Hampton-VA Beach area. We have a 2020 offer out to Ashley "AJ" James, a former Green Run HS player who will finish up this year at Hargrave Military Academy. He also played in the District WAWG AAU program. We have a 2021 offer out to Matthew Nunez, also at Woodside and also in the District WAWG program.

Trevor Smith - PG, 5-11, 150 - Newport News, VA (Woodside) - AAU: District WAWG (Under Armour Association) - Twitter: @allsmith5_
Offers: Saint Louis.

Interest: Old Dominion.

Latest News: Smith received an offer from SLU. (9/20/19)

Scouting Report: Smith is a savvy, poised point guard with natural playmaking ability. He plays with smarts and confidence to go with his quickness and body control. He pushes tempo, changes speeds, and attacks the basket hard, using his quickness and excellent ball handling skills. He has a smooth, compact jumper and is continuing to develop more consistency and range. His father, Tim, played at ETSU and professionally overseas. His older brother, also named Tim, is a 2021 player at Woodside.

• 1 month later...

Not much info so far:

Samarion Bond - SF, 6-2, 160 - Snellville, GA (Norcross) - AAU: Promise Elite - Twitter: @BondSamarion
Offers: Saint Louis.

Interest: TBD.

Latest News: Bond received an offer from SLU. (10/23/19)

Scouting Report: Bond is a long, strong, athletic wing who plays above the rim. He plays with a very high motor, runs the floor, and has a fluid athleticism. He will play HS ball for a loaded Norcross team with Quincy Ademokoya (2020, SLU offer, Temple commit) and Kok Yat (2022, SLU offer).

The little bit I can find looks promising and he plays for a HS program we're starting to recruit heavily.

Regarding Trevor Smith: I actually teach with Woodside's JV/Summer coach. His varsity coach is Stefan Welsh who played at Arkansas. Matthew Nunez transferred to a private school if i'm not mistaken.  Trevor Smith's dad went to the high school I teach at and is well-connected around Newport News. I'll have to get with his summer coach at lunch to see what the deal is. Pretty cool SLU is recruiting in the 757.

Pistol likes this

• 3 months later...
On 8/21/2019 at 8:13 AM, Pistol said:

Lol you were right.  BBE snatched him up

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, meerkat said:

Wondering if Macaleb Rich a 6'4 freshman at E. St. Louis is someone we should be keeping an eye on... Averaged around 9 points this season.

He's going to be pretty good.  I heard in grade school he was a big man.  Transitioning to a perimeter player now.  Definitely one to watch out for.

meerkat likes this

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2019 at 12:42 PM, cgeldmacher said:

It'll be interesting to see if Hazelwood Central can keep both of these kids all four years.

Jayden Nicholson is transferring to SLCA.

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2019 at 10:53 AM, Pistol said:

Jorden Williams - Can't figure out where he's going to HS but he's a Missouri kid showing up in top 100 rankings.

Williams had a strong freshman season at Whitfield.

1 hour ago, Franchise_08 said:

Is anyone tired of K-State invading St Louis? 

had we lost last season Id be more afraid.  I doubt it happens, because if your kstate why would you, but I want to play them again asap.