ESPNU

slu72

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Woo Hoo !!!   Went to Slubillikens.com,  said 9 of our games were on that channel last year

36 minutes ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

Ah, thanks man....didn't catch the joke. Not sure it deserved a bad post from @billikenfan05, but the level of d0uche-baggery is, at least, consistent.

Well no, actually my point remains. If you cancel your cable and sign up for 3 streaming services you’re going to end up paying the same and therefore not changing a thing. Your internet price will go up because you’re not bundled probably 30-40 bucks and you’ll be paying around 10 bucks a month per streaming service. I’m guessing your cable was listed at around 60 bucks in the bundle. Cutting the cord is a meme, you’re not saving yourself anything. 

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

Well no, actually my point remains. If you cancel your cable and sign up for 3 streaming services you’re going to end up paying the same and therefore not changing a thing. Your internet price will go up because you’re not bundled probably 30-40 bucks and you’ll be paying around 10 bucks a month per streaming service. I’m guessing your cable was listed at around 60 bucks in the bundle. Cutting the cord is a meme, you’re not saving yourself anything. 

That is false. I pay $60/month through Comcast for 300 down 30 up. I previously paid DirecTV for a bunch of crap i didn't need and was paying about 225. Add in netflix and ESPN+ and i rounded to 250. 

I now pay 60 for internet still and roughly 100 for my streaming services - 50 for YouTubeTV and a couple other services between 4.99 and 9.99. I get all the channels i want and some I don't. 

Only way it is a wash if if you already have a super basic cable package or you bundled everything to begin with and now your ISP is screwing you over.

JMM28 likes this

4 hours ago, dlarry said:

This is how I was too. It jumped back up so I called hoping to get another deal...didn’t happen. For me to get FSMW I was going to end up paying 150 a month when I had been paying 80.

Yep.

Youtube TV has been great. I don’t lose it during storms and I don’t need to have my monthly screaming matches with AT&T anymore.

I stuck with DirectTV for the convenience but I’m glad I made the switch.

I don't know exactly how I  pulled this off, but I'm getting direct's ultimate package, hbo, and internet service for $81+ tax.  I couldn't find a better deal no matter what streaming service i would have picked.  Also if you get rid of your tv service they jack your internet price up.

14 minutes ago, Band Legend said:

I don't know exactly how I  pulled this off, but I'm getting direct's ultimate package, hbo, and internet service for $81+ tax.  I couldn't find a better deal no matter what streaming service i would have picked.  Also if you get rid of your tv service they jack your internet price up.

-that's quite a deal

1 hour ago, Band Legend said:

That is pretty good with internet included.

A couple of DirecTV retailers recently offered me $62.13 all in for Ultimate ($10 less for extra which was good enough) + HBO. But the offer did not internet. HBO is included tor 12 months. Price package doubles year 2. I know someone in a different market that was able to lock in the first year price for two years instead of one. But I have not found that yet. I know AT&T has been aggressively marketing DirecTV at stores and with mailings. 

Spectrum offer was $85 including HBO Showtime (plus $40 more for internet) for every day pricing. 

Dish TV alone was $70 all in and it included Showtime, other movie channels, all sports channels. Sometimes I could get it for much less than that different years. But that’s every day pricing. But Dish lost HBO (owned by AT&T) 10 months ago. It lost Fox Sports Midwest & other Fox Sports Regionals a couple of weeks ago. In some markets it has not had local CBS affiliate for several weeks. But they provide and install free antenna. 

2 hours ago, Band Legend said:

Yeah i ran with that deal for a long time.

i was hoping to get it again when I called and complained but it didn’t work out.

luckily I have my 30 buck internet under contract for another year and am able to keep it even though I dropped Direct.

When that year is up I have no idea what I’m going to do.

When I  built my house 19 years ago (not in a subdivision) I  called charter for six weeks after the house was finished,  begging them to lay the cable to my house- in true charter fashion,  they kept telling me it was on the schedule and never showed up. It's been satellite or uverse ever since.

5 hours ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

That is false. I pay $60/month through Comcast for 300 down 30 up. I previously paid DirecTV for a bunch of crap i didn't need and was paying about 225. Add in netflix and ESPN+ and i rounded to 250. 

I now pay 60 for internet still and roughly 100 for my streaming services - 50 for YouTubeTV and a couple other services between 4.99 and 9.99. I get all the channels i want and some I don't. 

Only way it is a wash if if you already have a super basic cable package or you bundled everything to begin with and now your ISP is screwing you over.

couple youtubetv ?s, assume you can watch on anything that is Smart, and do you get to watch regular youtube without commercials which it seems you can't do anymore?

24 minutes ago, almaman said:

couple youtubetv ?s, assume you can watch on anything that is Smart, and do you get to watch regular youtube without commercials which it seems you can't do anymore?

Youtube without commercials is youtube premium which is different from YoutubeTV.  

Edit:  On first question, I don't think you can watch YoutubeTV on a firestick but somebody can correct me if I am wrong on that.  

2 minutes ago, almaman said:

So they have 2 pay models and they neither includes the other?

Yea I think Youtube Premium was designed to be more music streaming but includes ad free watching of YouTube videos.  You can watch YouTube original content with both so if all you want is Cobra Kai, decide based on that.  

20 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Not with a real streaming service like PS Vue or Youtube TV. Cable fleeces you every month

Nah I have YoutubeTV currently. It freezes all the time.

YoutubeTV and internet cost me $100 per month. I could get more channels plus a landline (I don't know why I need that but I could have it) for the same price.

All of these companies are fleecing you, man.

39 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

Nah I have YoutubeTV currently. It freezes all the time.

YoutubeTV and internet cost me $100 per month. I could get more channels plus a landline (I don't know why I need that but I could have it) for the same price.

All of these companies are fleecing you, man.

This. 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

This. 

I have PS Vue. It doesn't freeze because I have good internet. I was paying $140 for premium service because I needed channels to watch Billiken basketball and international soccer. I'm paying $95 for what I have now, which has the channels I will be using. I am saving $45 a month. It is very simple. I don't know why this is so hard to comprehend, 05

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

I have PS Vue. It doesn't freeze because I have good internet. I was paying $140 for premium service because I needed channels to watch Billiken basketball and international soccer. I'm paying $95 for what I have now, which has the channels I will be using. I am saving $45 a month. It is very simple. I don't know why this is so hard to comprehend, 05

After reading all this, I've come to the conclusion that it is all perspective. If all you know are people who already were getting the bare minimum and bundled it with internet, your perspective is that ditching cable doesn't save money. For those of us who were getting a premium package and had good internet costs from another provider, it can be significant (i.e. >50% savings). Now, you can negotiate a crazy deal when you threaten to leave a cable provider and the costs will be comparable (which I have done before). However, all things being equal, streaming services will win out most of the time.

17 minutes ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

After reading all this, I've come to the conclusion that it is all perspective. If all you know are people who already were getting the bare minimum and bundled it with internet, your perspective is that ditching cable doesn't save money. For those of us who were getting a premium package and had good internet costs from another provider, it can be significant (i.e. >50% savings). Now, you can negotiate a crazy deal when you threaten to leave a cable provider and the costs will be comparable (which I have done before). However, all things being equal, streaming services will win out most of the time.

Former:

Directv (with HBO) and internet through AT&T - $110

Hulu - $14

Netflix - $15

Total - $139 with an increase to $152 during basketball season to add the package that included CBSSN.

Current:

Internet through AT&T (probably switching to Charter soon) - $45

Hulu + Hulu Live - $50

Netflix - $15

HBO (through Prime) - $15

Total - $125 which includes CBSSN and FS2 (via Hulu Live). Don't have to worry about my signal going out during storms. No more cable box. Maybe the most valuable component of "cutting the cord"  (for me at least) is not having to deal with customer service or having to go through the song and dance everyone goes through when your contract is up or when they jack up the price. Not having to commit to a multi year contract,...another benefit. 

JMM28 likes this

50 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Every once in awhile you can get a "free HBO for ___" through various places. I originally had HBO through a deal with my cable internet company (Xfinity) that was Xfinity. They offered $49.99 for a year of their mid level service plus HBO streaming, so basically free HBO. After that expired, I flipped over to AT&T who had a free HBO for life if you were a DirecTV Now/AT&T Wireless customer. That has worked out well thus far as well. 

16 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Former:

Directv (with HBO) and internet through AT&T - $110

Hulu - $14

Netflix - $15

Total - $139 with an increase to $152 during basketball season to add the package that included CBSSN.

Current:

Internet through AT&T (probably switching to Charter soon) - $45

Hulu + Hulu Live - $50

Netflix - $15

Total - $125 which includes CBSSN and FS2 (via Hulu Live). Don't have to worry about my signal going out during storms. No more cable box. Maybe the most valuable component of "cutting the cord"  (for me at least) is not having to deal with customer service or having to go through the song and dance everyone goes through when your contract is up or when they jack up the price. Not having to commit to a multi year contract,...another benefit. 

I like this deal. Would save me $55/mo. Thanks. I have Hulu ( using ROKU stick). One question about FS2, I live in SC. so will I be able to get FSMWest (I do now via Uverse for add on fee) on HULU live? I would probably add ESPN+ to get the games not covered by NBCS, CBSSN, ESPN/2, and FSMW. 

For the folks without a traditional tv provider, I'm wondering if you ever hit maximum data usage with your internet provider. If you stream a lot of higher definition content, does Charter or whoever hit you with extra costs at some point? It seems like something they would do to protect profits as more people opt out. Thanks.