ESPNU

slu72

4 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

46th Annual Cherry Pit Spitting Championship on The Ocho? That is real life?

I signed up for ESPN+ last season to watch a few SLU games and it was a pain in the tuchas cancelling it. ESPN told me I downloaded it through Apple, Apple told me it was through ESPN. I eventually got it resolved.

who was right if either?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just called Direct tv, ask what was going on with CBS College Sports Network??  Was told that channel was under negotiations, and they anticipate keeping the channel. You can  keep up with that at tvpromise.com ( haven`t looked there yet).  CBS College Sports Network is huge for the A-10, 

14 minutes ago, almaman said:

who was right if either?

ESPN was wrong (shocker). The ESPN people told me they didn't have a record of any subscription  and to look at my Apple subscriptions. I did. There wasn't anything in there. I'm pretty sure ESPN does that to try and delay the cancellation process another week or two just to squeeze another $5 outta ya.

10 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

just called Direct tv, ask what was going on with CBS College Sports Network??  Was told that channel was under negotiations, and they anticipate keeping the channel. You can  keep up with that at tvpromise.com ( haven`t looked there yet).  CBS College Sports Network is huge for the A-10, 

Pretty sure there was a 6-8 game stretch in February/early March where the SLU games were on CBSSN. No way I was going to miss that many games in a row  so had to upgrade (from an already expensive Directv package that didn't have that channel).

Same here, need that channel...If you aren't a P5 school, CBS College Sports Network and NBC Sports are vital...One of our daughters graduated from UCF, so watch them,their first 2 football games are on CBS Sports. The AAC also has alot of games there

ESPN+ should carry a number of SLU games, but not all (like those picked up by CBS, NBCSN or regular ESPN). Also, if you follow other SLU sports, they carry SLU baseball, soccer, women's hoops, and others. 

If you have any interest in lower tier, regional hoops, you will love ESPN+. They carry nearly all MVC, OVC, MAC, Horizon, etc...  hoops games.

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

If I would have switched to Hulu LIve before last season, I would have only missed the 2 ESPN+ games (I think it was just 2). Instead I had to upgrade my DirecTV package to get FS2 and CBSSN.

Yes, if you are in the St. Louis tv market you will get FSMW and FSMW+ in addition to FS1, FS2, CBSSN, NBCSN, and many more sports channels with Hulu Live. If you are not in the STL market, I'd imagine you would be able to add FSMW for an additional monthly payment but not positive. 

Pretty sure this is the current list of channels you get with Hulu Live. This picture just shows the basic channels list since I couldn't find a large enough image that included the St. Louis-specific local channels (i.e. FSMW):

HULU-CHANNELS

I live in SC and the only carrier that offered FMW was the Uverse premium package. I'm going to go on Hulu's site to see if this is an extra. As someone said, I only missed about 3-4 games last year and some said you could get those on ESPN+ since they carried every game for every school. Obviously that's not correct. Gonna hold off doing anything until the final sched, w/TV listings, comes out. But if Uverse loses CBSSN, I'll drop them. Saw a few games on CBSSN last year. I'm pretty sure there were only about 5-6 games I didn't see on TV last season, and, supposedly, they were available on ESPN+. 

Dish Network previously was one of the best values out there but times are changing. 

They seem to be shifting their business model to keep non-sports customers and letting sports customers and their much more expensive channels go. And, they want to become the 4th mobile phone/wireless carrier. They’ve been investing money into developing it for several years. 

They currently do not have Fox Sports Regional (two weeks but I have heard it worst case last 1.5 years. We’ll see). Disney’s sale to Sinclair is waiting on DOJ/FCC approval. They also do not have CBS in some markets including St. Louis as of a few weeks ago. although the install free over the air antennas for some.  They have been significantly less expensive than cable and DirecTV for similar channels.  

CBS sports Network has poor distribution with many providers, especially compared to NBC Sports Network. 

For streaming, You Tube appears to have the best combination of sports and other channels. 

I was going to drop our directv and cut the cord, but after some negotiating I ended up with a super deal and will not cut the cord for at least 12 months. If they don't have cbssn come winter that will really blow. 

20 hours ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

We haven't missed it at all. We were the family that had every channel but watched about 10 of them. I cancelled just as they lost ABC. The only downside I've found is that the user interface for Live TV isn't as user friendly. I almost went with DirecTV Now but decided the value was greater at YouTube.

One other thing I left out. YouTubeTV has Cobra Kai. Karate Kid was a huge part of my childhood, so I really enjoy that series...

And with YouTube I can get Fox Sports Midwest?  That's really the key to the whole deal for me.

14 hours ago, Band Legend said:

I was going to drop our directv and cut the cord, but after some negotiating I ended up with a super deal and will not cut the cord for at least 12 months. If they don't have cbssn come winter that will really blow. 

This is how I was too. It jumped back up so I called hoping to get another deal...didn’t happen. For me to get FSMW I was going to end up paying 150 a month when I had been paying 80.

19 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

And with YouTube I can get Fox Sports Midwest?  That's really the key to the whole deal for me.

Yep.

Youtube TV has been great. I don’t lose it during storms and I don’t need to have my monthly screaming matches with AT&T anymore.

I stuck with DirectTV for the convenience but I’m glad I made the switch.

My only complaint with Youtube TV (this applies to all streaming services) is that it is delayed by like 30 seconds.  I noticed it last year watching SLU because on the close games I would get a call from my dad when the game was over for him (he has charter TV) but I would still be watching the last possession in like the St. Bonaventure game in the A10 tournament.  Same with Blues hockey in the post season, I just had to avoid twitter during live play if I didn't want a spoiler.  

That being said, I am still a big fan of the unlimited DVR and ability to watch all games on FSMW with YoutubeTV.  No plans to change.  

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Tony Shalhoub is great in it.

Shalhoub recounting the entire episode of the Twilight Zone about that dude who hates people and loves reading and getting p!ssed off when his audience guesses the twist ending was basically a throwaway joke but is one of my favorite things I've seen on TV.

RUBillsFan likes this

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

You’re not cutting the cord if you’re subscribed to streaming services. Also probably not saving as much as you think.

If ever they crack down on the sharing of Netflix, Hulu, etc passwords, then people definitely won't be saving money. 

I basically kept all the channels I watched and added more things - random NCAA sporting events from A10/MVC action like volleyball, womens bball, all the MBB games; the multiple feeds for golf majors, big time sporting events, etc and wind up saving 40-50 a month. I personally like the delivery and interface of Apple TV better than either DirecTV or Dish that i had in the past. My kids have a pretty much on demand setup for their various series and movies they watch via Netflix, Disney, or Nickelodeon. 

So in that way maybe it is more about a better value than a gross savings. I still save about $500 a year with my current setup and feel like I get content more relevant to our watching habits. 

I am interested to see the new Disney service that is out/coming soon. That might be a changer for sports fans with little kids. 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

You’re not cutting the cord if you’re subscribed to streaming services. Also probably not saving as much as you think.

Just curious why you say that. My bill went from about 250 (which includes my netflix and espn+) to about 100. What am I missing? Also - why is that not considered cutting the cord? I no longer have an HDMI connected to my TV from a cable box....isn't that the definition of cord cutting?

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I'm saving about $30/month with the Internet/PS Vue combo compared to when I had a Uverse bundle since I had to subscribe to the premium sports package to get ones like CBS Sports and BeIn. Can't be missing those Afcon and La Liga games

Just now, Littlebill said:

I'm saving about $30/month with the Internet/PS Vue combo compared to when I had a Uverse bundle since I had to subscribe to the premium sports package to get ones like CBS Sports and BeIn. Can't be missing those Afcon and La Liga games

Splitting ATT NOW with someone is the move 

14 minutes ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

Just curious why you say that. My bill went from about 250 (which includes my netflix and espn+) to about 100. What am I missing? Also - why is that not considered cutting the cord? I no longer have an HDMI connected to my TV from a cable box....isn't that the definition of cord cutting?

I don't see anything here about you literally cutting a cord.