ESPNU

slu72

Is I true if one sunscribes to this you can get any college hoops game? Specifically, if I signed up I for this would I get every Billiken game next year regardless of who's televising it?  Also, is ESPNU just a streaming service that can only be viewed on a mobile device and/or a computer?  Would I be able to get it on TV if I had ROKU? Tx for any answers. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're thinking of ESPN+, which is $4.99/month or $49.99/year. This is a standalone service separate from the ESPN broadcast networks. This can be accessed via the WatchESPN App or by clicking on the video box via ESPN's webpage for a given game. You'll know it's an ESPN+ game if there's a little yellow corner with white plus sign in the bottom right corner.

ESPNU is a broadcast network, so any ESPNU programming would be on the WatchESPN App, for which you need a cable subscription login. These are basically the games on any ESPN network - separate from ESPN+ coverage.

It's a little confusing that both can be accessed through the same app, but you'll be able to tell the difference because of the + icon in the corner. And yes, the app is available on your Roku device.

HOWEVER, it was just announced that ESPN+ will be combined with Hulu and Disney+ in a single streaming service launching in November for $12.99/month. So if you already have Hulu, you can transition into this new app and pick up ESPN+ with it. The timing is decent for college basketball fans because it should be ready just in time for the season.

I don't know yet if you can get ESPN+ independent of the new service once it launches, but if you don't have or want Hulu or Disney, it might be worth paying attention to announcements as November approaches.

Hope this helps.

Here's a screenshot taken from my current desktop (sorry, not through Roku but you'll get the idea). Any ESPN+ programming is circled in yellow. The stuff not circled is airing on a network. So ESPN+ videos need a separate ESPN+ account, and network videos need a cable login. If you have both, once you're logged in, you can access both types at any time. If you have one or the other, you can only access those videos and not the other.

Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 1.10.04 PM.png

ESPN+ does have some MLB games but it's mostly niche stuff, not major pro sports. The A10 made a deal before last season to air otherwise unclaimed games on it, so I think just over half of SLU games could be watched this way. They basically pick up regional broadcasts, so it was mostly Fox Sports Midwest ones. It's been huge for me as an out-of-towner - $50 year for most SLU games is a no-brainer.

And we have Hulu, so now combining this with that for the same monthly price and picking up Disney on top of it - we have a toddler and a newborn - is another no-brainer.

46th Annual Cherry Pit Spitting Championship on The Ocho? That is real life?

I signed up for ESPN+ last season to watch a few SLU games and it was a pain in the tuchas cancelling it. ESPN told me I downloaded it through Apple, Apple told me it was through ESPN. I eventually got it resolved.

I got ESPN+ last year at 4.99/month and it was way worth it. So much so that I finally decided to cut the cord with DirecTV. I've had that the last 5-6 years for the sole purpose of getting all the regional Fox channels and other east coast sports channels to watch Billiken games. Unless you really want to watch a lot of obscure college sports, you can probably forgo ESPNU. 

Side note - when I cut the cord, I went with YouTubeTV. Going on about 2 months now and am sooo happy I made the change. YouTubeTV had all the right channels (has many sports channels....and HGTV :)) for the right price. Then, I added in some other streaming apps. In the end I'm saving over $100/month and feel I get more for it.

3 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

46th Annual Cherry Pit Spitting Championship on The Ocho? That is real life?

I signed up for ESPN+ last season to watch a few SLU games and it was a pain in the tuchas cancelling it. ESPN told me I downloaded it through Apple, Apple told me it was through ESPN. I eventually got it resolved.

I think it's a temporary sort of comedic promotional thing. I wish it were a better representation of programming at the moment, but The Ocho it is.

I knew cancelling would be a huge pain, so I did the annual one over the monthly one. Saved $10 if you wanted every month, but you pay a little more if you just want college basketball season.

2 minutes ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

I got ESPN+ last year at 4.99/month and it was way worth it. So much so that I finally decided to cut the cord with DirecTV. I've had that the last 5-6 years for the sole purpose of getting all the regional Fox channels and other east coast sports channels to watch Billiken games. Unless you really want to watch a lot of obscure college sports, you can probably forgo ESPNU. 

Side note - when I cut the cord, I went with YouTubeTV. Going on about 2 months now and am sooo happy I made the change. YouTubeTV had all the right channels (has many sports channels....and HGTV :)) for the right price. Then, I added in some other streaming apps. In the end I'm saving over $100/month and feel I get more for it.

ESPN+ has plenty of obscure college sports, too. Kinda fun that way.

What streaming apps did you still need on top of YouTubeTV? We have friends who swear by it but neither my wife nor I watch much cable. Between HBO, Netflix, Hulu, and ESPN+ we're pretty much covered. She just has to pirate FS1 for Xavier road games.

10 minutes ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

We cut the cord last month and love it. The net savings only ends up being about $5  over internet and tv through AT&T but I get 4-5 channels with HULU Live that I didn't get with Directv unless I upgraded, including: CBS Sports and FS2, both channels that featured  a ton of SLU games last year (mostly CBSS). Plus I don't have to worry about thunderstorms anymore...

I had no clue you could access ESPN+ on your Roku (thanks for that tip, Pistol). I was watching the ESPN+ SLU games on my flip phone last season.

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I think it's a temporary sort of comedic promotional thing. I wish it were a better representation of programming at the moment, but The Ocho it is.

I knew cancelling would be a huge pain, so I did the annual one over the monthly one. Saved $10 if you wanted every month, but you pay a little more if you just want college basketball season.

ESPN+ has plenty of obscure college sports, too. Kinda fun that way.

What streaming apps did you still need on top of YouTubeTV? We have friends who swear by it but neither my wife nor I watch much cable. Between HBO, Netflix, Hulu, and ESPN+ we're pretty much covered. She just has to pirate FS1 for Xavier road games.

Honestly, we're still working through it. Right now, we have ESPN+, AMC (needed to catch up on TWD, but may cancel now that we can DVR through YouTubeTV) and Starz. Will probably cancel Starz (not sure why my wife signed up) and get HBO. We'll also get Disney+, but we'll see how that pans out given your post above. We also have Prime Video through our Amazon membership and Netflix. We watch it all through Roku, so they have free channels as well. 

The only reason to get YouTube, IMO, is if you want to watch live TV. We watch the local and national news a lot.....and some reality TV. It's also really nice to have the cloud DVR.

31 minutes ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

I have DirectTV Now.  They just lost CBS and CBS College Sports, which shows a few Bills games every year.  Maybe I'll switch over to YouTubeTV.

34 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I have DirectTV Now.  They just lost CBS and CBS College Sports, which shows a few Bills games every year.  Maybe I'll switch over to YouTubeTV.

I did the cord cutting thing a couple years ago and got DirecTV Now for the live channel browsing aspect. When I signed up it was $30 with a $20 discount for being AT&T wireless. I think it is up to $50 now which somewhat defeats the purpose for me. It has a pretty clunky interface on Apple TV too. I didn't realize they lost CBSS too though. Might be the death blow for my DirecTV Now account. Although I did get 2 free Apple TVs out of them...

Thanks for all the feedback. I have Hulu via ROKU. I have UVerse, primarily for their sports package, but if they're losing CBSSN that for me is the death blow for Uverse. So, just to get all the above clear, on ESPN+ I will get all the Bills games on FS2 (I get them w/ the Uverse Sports Pkg) and other regional games not on NBCS or CBSSN. I'll have to research HULU a little deeper to see if they carry the NBC and CBS sports network. 

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

We haven't missed it at all. We were the family that had every channel but watched about 10 of them. I cancelled just as they lost ABC. The only downside I've found is that the user interface for Live TV isn't as user friendly. I almost went with DirecTV Now but decided the value was greater at YouTube.

One other thing I left out. YouTubeTV has Cobra Kai. Karate Kid was a huge part of my childhood, so I really enjoy that series...

JMM28 likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Forgot about Prime - we have that, too. Thanks for the rundown, just curious.

Prime payoff is "the marvelous mrs maisel"  best sitcom since seinfeld went off the air.

rgbilliken, Zink, ARon and 1 other like this

38 minutes ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

One other thing I left out. YouTubeTV has Cobra Kai. Karate Kid was a huge part of my childhood, so I really enjoy that series...

I've watched the first few episodes and they were outstanding. 

55 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Prime payoff is "the marvelous mrs maisel"  best sitcom since seinfeld went off the air.

Not sure I'd call it a "sitcom" but I agree that it's an excellent show. My wife and I are almost done with season 1, so we have plenty left to catch up on.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Thanks for all the feedback. I have Hulu via ROKU. I have UVerse, primarily for their sports package, but if they're losing CBSSN that for me is the death blow for Uverse. So, just to get all the above clear, on ESPN+ I will get all the Bills games on FS2 (I get them w/ the Uverse Sports Pkg) and other regional games not on NBCS or CBSSN. I'll have to research HULU a little deeper to see if they carry the NBC and CBS sports network. 

I'd wait until we get the full schedule with TV listings - usually last week of August, first week of September for full schedule and then TV fills in over the next couple months - before making a decision. But if you already have Hulu, it's basically going to become $12.99 and add ESPN+ and Disney, so just go ahead and transition your account to that for a few bucks at most.

It's not set in stone what ESPN+ will have going into a season because it relies on other networks. A few of our games will be on ESPN networks so those will be on the cable login portion of WatchESPN. A few others might be on networks that ESPN+ doesn't pull from. But the regional Fox Sports Midwest games will be, among scattered others. Like I said, it was about half, maybe a couple more last season.

I actually have not used Hulu for live sports yet so I can't speak to that.

1 hour ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

We haven't missed it at all. We were the family that had every channel but watched about 10 of them. I cancelled just as they lost ABC. The only downside I've found is that the user interface for Live TV isn't as user friendly

HULU Live tv is not user friendly at all. Still trying to get used to it.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

HULU Live does have CBSSN and NBCSN. I think if you already have HULU, it comes out to $50 for Hulu and their live tv service with no commercials. The deciding factor for me was that HULU Live has sports channels that carried SLU games last year (CBSSN and FS2) that Directv made me pay extra for. They also have 2-3 other sports channels that didn't come with my Directv Package. 

25 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I actually have not used Hulu for live sports yet so I can't speak to that.

I've watched some Cardinals game on HULU Live and it's not bad. One feature I do like is that it always starts from the beginning of the game even if you come in 2 hours after first pitch. Press 2 buttons and it takes you live.  I'd imagine this feature holds true for any sporting event. I also believe you can record sports with Hulu Live but I may have read that incorrectly. 

32 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

HULU Live tv is not user friendly at all. Still trying to get used to it.

HULU Live does have CBSSN and NBCSN. I think if you already have HULU, it comes out to $50 for Hulu and their live tv service with no commercials. The deciding factor for me was that HULU Live has sports channels that carried SLU games last year (CBSSN and FS2) that Directv made me pay extra for. They also have 2-3 other sports channels that didn't come with my Directv Package. 

I've watched some Cardinals game on HULU Live and it's not bad. One feature I do like is that it always starts from the beginning of the game even if you come in 2 hours after first pitch. Press 2 buttons and it takes you live.  I'd imagine this feature holds true for any sporting event. I also believe you can record sports with Hulu Live but I may have read that incorrectly. 

Thanks SLU ltdo and Pistol, I'm going to wait until October to cut the cord. I'm really kind of po'd at Uverse which started out for a year at around $90 and now is $180. Although, I did add HBO to watch GOT and will watch Succession. But I can add HBO separately thru ROKU for that. I think last season I was able to watch more Bills games than any year in recent history. I kept reading that I missed some games on ESPN+. For example, Fordham was not on NBCSN, CBSSN, or FS2 (where I got a lot of home games), but I got these thru Uverse and their sports premium pkg which was only like $7/mo. Recently I went to Best Buy and purchased the ROKU stick. I signed up for HULU basic (like$6/mo) and can go full HULU for $45. Correct me if I'm wrong but I can add the Disney + ESPN+ for another $13 and still get all Bills games on CBSN, NBCSN, and Fox2 MW = plus the little regional games that they don't carry. FSMW is the one I'm most concerned about since they carry a lot of the home games. Will I lose this if I drop Uverse, or will I get it thru HULU?

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Thanks SLU ltdo and Pistol, I'm going to wait until October to cut the cord. I'm really kind of po'd at Uverse which started out for a year at around $90 and now is $180. Although, I did add HBO to watch GOT and will watch Succession. But I can add HBO separately thru ROKU for that. I think last season I was able to watch more Bills games than any year in recent history. I kept reading that I missed some games on ESPN+. For example, Fordham was not on NBCSN, CBSSN, or FS2 (where I got a lot of home games), but I got these thru Uverse and their sports premium pkg which was only like $7/mo. Recently I went to Best Buy and purchased the ROKU stick. I signed up for HULU basic (like$6/mo) and can go full HULU for $45. Correct me if I'm wrong but I can add the Disney + ESPN+ for another $13 and still get all Bills games on CBSN, NBCSN, and Fox2 MW = plus the little regional games that they don't carry. FSMW is the one I'm most concerned about since they carry a lot of the home games. Will I lose this if I drop Uverse, or will I get it thru HULU?

If I would have switched to Hulu LIve before last season, I would have only missed the 2 ESPN+ games (I think it was just 2). Instead I had to upgrade my DirecTV package to get FS2 and CBSSN.

Yes, if you are in the St. Louis tv market you will get FSMW and FSMW+ in addition to FS1, FS2, CBSSN, NBCSN, and many more sports channels with Hulu Live. If you are not in the STL market, I'd imagine you would be able to add FSMW for an additional monthly payment but not positive. 

Pretty sure this is the current list of channels you get with Hulu Live. This picture just shows the basic channels list since I couldn't find a large enough image that included the St. Louis-specific local channels (i.e. FSMW):

HULU-CHANNELS