Jon Gordon on Campus

Bills10s

1 minute ago, Old guy said:

These experts are experts in motivation and feeling good. I agree it is better when the team and the coaches are motivated and feeling good. However, there is no direct relationship between learning how to do certain plays, having better FT results, or dunking and feeling good about yourselves.

It must be understood that the armed forces have what may be considered the opposite approach at making fat soft civilians into proper soldiers. The recruits are yelled at and made to exercise and work at boot camp until they are so exhausted that they cannot do much else. The US does produce soldiers capable of fighting and winning. There is no "feeling good" lectures as part of the training they receive.

i would think this is untrue.   if a player is completely negative about themselves, no confidence and down all the time, they are not going to be performing at their peak level.  

courtside likes this

24 minutes ago, Old guy said:

These experts are experts in motivation and feeling good. I agree it is better when the team and the coaches are motivated and feeling good. However, there is no direct relationship between learning how to do certain plays, having better FT results, or dunking and feeling good about yourselves.

It must be understood that the armed forces have what may be considered the opposite approach at making fat soft civilians into proper soldiers. The recruits are yelled at and made to exercise and work at boot camp until they are so exhausted that they cannot do much else. The US does produce soldiers capable of fighting and winning. There is no "feeling good" lectures as part of the training they receive.

It depends on the person.

I have a great respect for the military and people who serve. With that said.....there are a variety of personality types and temperaments in the military, or any other walk of life. There are some who may take the above Old Guy mentioned approach. But, there are plenty of others that take a much different approach. In college basketball coaching, there are several different personality types, temperaments, as well as approaches. One isn’t inherently better than another. In the military for example, (or any other walk of life) there are some great, phenomenal people, as well as some, not so much. And, soldier success is varied as in any other walk of life. When coaching a team  or running a business etc...coaches often alter their approach with individual people based on what would make that person more or most successful. It’s not always a one size fits all.

As to this particular speaker and SLU, I am decidedly indifferent. If the coaches and players like it and it helps them great. I know many athletes that are better motivated with this positive approach. The message Gordon sends isn’t very controversial. I appreciate SLU trying, and making an effort to bring a popular contemporary person in this field for the Athletic staff. Seeking an edge, adding something new, is for lack of a better word, a positive. 

2 hours ago, Bills10s said:

Interesting with so many college sports experts around here that  many didn’t know who the leading speaker for high level college and professional athletics was. Very telling! 

Shut up, Trump.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

That training is for a limited duration; they don't continue that way for the rest of their lives.  Consider the USO.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i would think this is untrue.   if a player is completely negative about themselves, no confidence and down all the time, they are not going to be performing at their peak level.  

Come on Roy, no one is completely negative about themselves. The ones that get to that sad state of affairs tend to off themselves, they are not basketball players.

4 hours ago, Old guy said:

The military’s model is to break you down and belittle you to nothing so that you are completely reliant on the chain of command for success. It may keep a military unit aligned during battle, but it is terrible for the individuals and personal development. It is also a terribly antiquated model.

45 minutes ago, davidnark said:

The military’s model is to break you down and belittle you to nothing so that you are completely reliant on the chain of command for success. It may keep a military unit aligned during battle, but it is terrible for the individuals and personal development. It is also a terribly antiquated model.

You are aware that the function of the military training is all about getting regular people ready for combat. You are also aware that you cannot engage in combat by politely asking the enemy to "please get out of your foxhole so  I can kill you" or something similar. The point I am making is that military training works, however antiquated it may be. Another issue that I want to make clear is that a lot of people benefit from their military experience, and that most are not destroyed by it. Finally, the military requires you to think fast and take appropriate action when a threat occurs. You do not sit on your butt waiting for orders from above when your truck is ambushed, you react immediately. Those that wait for orders in situations like that tend to die fast.

Competitive sports have some degree of similarity with the military, particularly when looked upon from the point of view of developing the necessary drive to defeat opponents. Of course, no one gets killed playing sports although accidents and injuries do occur, both in training and during play. When we praise gym rats and players that go early into the court to practice and exercise, we are indeed praising a very military way of training. Physical development (like we have seen in those pictures of the team player's ripping muscles) is a very military way of spending time.

Taking potshots against the military is both a popular pass time for certain people, and a way to show disrespect for those that are out there to protect all of us. I enjoyed my time in the  military and absolutely hate when some one or the other comes with a sick smile to thank me for my service. The truth is that I volunteered to do it, and enjoyed doing it.

8 hours ago, Old guy said:

You are aware that the function of the military training is all about getting regular people ready for combat. 

Again, in general, and in theory, I have a great appreciation for the military. But it is not a blind across the board praise. Life is about individuals. Random example: Department of Justice reported almost 7,000 military sexual assaults in 2017. More than two thirds of these cases were deemed evidence efficient to take action. It also is something that is very underreported. You can pick many other category examples if you’d like. My point is people in the military are merely a reflection of people in other walks of life, good, bad, indifferent.  This does not take away from all of the good and great military people. But let’s also not pretend any of these other things don’t exist within it either.

What i don’t like is how the military responds sometimes to many concerns of its members. The United States can spend more than the next 7 countries combined on the military, but it still doesn’t have a high enough quality of care for those military members. It’s 15% of all Federal spending.  And, that is to the above point of the other poster. Take care of your military people. 

With regards to training and motivation, whether it is military or sports, a wide variety of ways can and has been successful. One size does not fit all.  We can rattle off all types of college basketball coaches personalities and temperaments and find success. 

It’s great that you had a positive experience in the military. But you also know that your military experience doesn’t speak for all military experiences. There isn’t just one type of soldier. There isn’t just one way of successfully doing things.

Again, as for the speaker, as long as he isn’t too controversial or extreme in any bad way, and it helps the team, that’s great too. For many, their best play has come in a positive, relaxed environment. For others it may be something else. And those people may even be on the same team.

rgbilliken and Band Legend like this