Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
courtside

SLU Women’s Soccer 2019

Just now, slufanskip said:

To get those games at SLU those teams have to be willing to come obviously

Yep...this takes an AD that can accomplish that. It also may take some creative scheduling. Schedule the better non power 5 teams, schedule middle of the pack power 5 teams hoping those teams get some results in their league. I also like how SLU men stagger their better non conference opponents, early, middle, late season, in recent years, instead of just the league. 

19 hours ago, courtside said:

Two decisive wins this past week 4-0 VCU, 4-1 Dayton and SLU's RPI goes from 54 to 59.

-that's messed up

20 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-that's messed up

A few things:

SLU did not get the hoped for results in their stronger non-conference games. SLU was expected to be better than last year's NCAA team. One thing they must do is space out their non-conference schedule so that you get a few early. middle, and late strong non-conference games.  The men are doing this. 

SLU did not score in any or its strong non-conference games. Creating and finishing chances was their big issue. SLU can and likely will win the league and, they get the conference tourney at home.  I'd like to see SLU add more size in recruiting.

As far as scheduling, do not schedule sub 200 RPI teams. SLU has a couple of those. And it is difficult to have all of your strong non-conference games on the road. Would like to see both the men and women's programs play Georgetown sometimes. (they are strong for both) KU, Illinois, WI, Ark, Ok St, Ill, etc...are all some of the better regional teams right now that they coukd also schedule. Playing Mizzou would mean playing the SEC which often is the best league for power ratings. The team is playing better now, more confident, taking care of business vs the not as strong teams. They will need to keep doing that. 

After a 1-0 OT win over St. Joe's and a 3-0 win over St. Bonaventure, both at home, the women's soccer team is at 52 in the RPI.

The next A10 team in the rankings is La Salle, at 70, and they come to town for the next game, 10/13 at 1:00.

Unfortunately, the next three games - Fordham (205), George Mason (271), and Richmond (191) - are all must-win games that aren't going to help the RPI. But the regular season closer against GW (5-0 in conference, 91 RPI) is a good opportunity to boost the rating and solidify the top seed in the conference tournament.

Assuming they can beat La Salle this weekend, it looks unlikely that anyone else but GW will challenge them for the top spot in the standings.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

After a 1-0 OT win over St. Joe's and a 3-0 win over St. Bonaventure, both at home, the women's soccer team is at 52 in the RPI.

The next A10 team in the rankings is La Salle, at 70, and they come to town for the next game, 10/13 at 1:00.

Unfortunately, the next three games - Fordham (205), George Mason (271), and Richmond (191) - are all must-win games that aren't going to help the RPI. But the regular season closer against GW (5-0 in conference, 91 RPI) is a good opportunity to boost the rating and solidify the top seed in the conference tournament.

Assuming they can beat La Salle this weekend, it looks unlikely that anyone else but GW will challenge them for the top spot in the standings.

Need to stagger scheduling like the men. The men still play Denver (not having the year expected, brutal schedule) and UVA (#1) out of conference. It took the women some time and easier opponents to get some confidence offensively. Would like to see them play a few later season non conference games.

@prebillikenpost on the men's team had me check the first official NCAA RPI ratings today.  The women show up at #44 after beating LaSalle 4-1 yesterday.

17 minutes ago, brianstl said:

@prebillikenpost on the men's team had me check the first official NCAA RPI ratings today.  The women show up at #44 after beating LaSalle 4-1 yesterday.

That La Salle team played Duke to a 2-0 loss early in the season at UNC.

On 10/14/2019 at 1:12 PM, brianstl said:

La Salle (now 77) was the best remaining A10 team on their schedule RPI-wise, and is still second in the conference. Like I said before, the next three teams will not help them so they need to win all three. Given how they took care of La Salle, I'd be shocked if they have an issue with any of them.

The next real test is the regular season closer vs. GW (120). GW tied VCU over the weekend to drop to 5-0-1, giving the 6-0 Bills a clear path to win the regular season title outright.

Without knowing a ton about the women's soccer NCAA Tournament, what kind of RPI ranking puts you in "safe" territory? With teams #120, 198, 228, and 257 left on the schedule, I can't imagine they'll get much help in the ratings even with four decisive wins.

A10 Women's Soccer is a Juan-Bid league, is it not?

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

A10 Women's Soccer is a Juan-Bid league, is it not?

I mean usually. It’s not like a rule they only get one bid. If anyone will do it in the near future it’s SLU.

SLU won their 8th game in a row, with 3 league games left to play. (1-0 at Fordham) Strong finish nets regular season league title, along with playing at home for important conference tourney.

0-0 tie game stopped in 70th minute in terrible muddy field conditions at George Mason.

After a mid week home game, SLU returns to DC in one week to play George Washington. Not ideal scheduling.

23 minutes ago, courtside said:

0-0 tie game stopped in 70th minute in terrible muddy field conditions at George Mason.

After a mid week home game, SLU returns to DC in one week to play George Washington. Not ideal scheduling.

This game was a debacle from the opening whistle. I wish someone would post video of the game. It was like the rainy round scene from The Greatest Game Ever Played. The game should have never started. Passing on the ground was nearly impossible.  The conference is lucky nobody got seriously injured. I think coach shields was less than pleased that it was stopped almost immediately after the Billikens missed a point blank opportunity.

2 hours ago, courtside said:

Skins game was a mess. Hope the weather straightens up for WS in D C

11 hours ago, almaman said:

Skins game was a mess. Hope the weather straightens up for WS in D C

The team is not happy with the A-10 scheduling. SLU has to return in one week to play GW. Unlike the men who play only 7 league games, the women play 10 and have a difficult time scheduling later season strong RPI opponents. This is where SLU and other teams need to advocate for scheduling changes, and work with the men’s teams with regards to scheduling.