SLU Women’s Soccer 2019

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’ve never seen a collapse in a final as quick as GW. Give up a PK on a foul and then another just a little later on a handball all within the first 10 minutes and then a 3rd in the 18th.

A gimme on the first PK. She went down awfully easy. Coach said she earned it, I disagree, I don't think you earn anything by going down like that. I wouldn't call it a dive as there was some contact, but I guarantee you she could have stayed up and turned that corner had she wanted to. The ladies looked very good though completely dominating the game

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

A gimme on the first PK. She went down awfully easy. Coach said she earned it, I disagree, I don't think you earn anything by going down like that. I wouldn't call it a dive as there was some contact, but I guarantee you she could have stayed up and turned that corner had she wanted to. The ladies looked very good though completely dominating the game

I thought it was an obvious hip check and pen. Good for the official for having the stones to call the pen.

5 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I thought it was an obvious hip check and pen. Good for the official for having the stones to call the pen.

It was a foul if you follow the letter of the law, but I would have been angry at the ref if I were coaching GW. I took the time to point out to my daughter how great a job she did to draw the call in the box. My daughter responded with why didn't she just jump over her leg.  She could have stayed on her feet and either taken a shot or played it into the middle for someone else. I don't blame her for embellishing the play to get a PK but that would be a play on 99 times out of 100 outside of the box. 

Congrats to SLU on the win. They capitalized on their opportunities and shut GW down until the last 10 minutes or so of the game. They have made my daughter a huge fan, so we'll be making as many home games as possible going forward. 

Any chance they get a home game for the NCAA?

10 hours ago, hoppybeer said:

It was a foul if you follow the letter of the law, but I would have been angry at the ref if I were coaching GW. I took the time to point out to my daughter how great a job she did to draw the call in the box. My daughter responded with why didn't she just jump over her leg.  She could have stayed on her feet and either taken a shot or played it into the middle for someone else. I don't blame her for embellishing the play to get a PK but that would be a play on 99 times out of 100 outside of the box. 

Congrats to SLU on the win. They capitalized on their opportunities and shut GW down until the last 10 minutes or so of the game. They have made my daughter a huge fan, so we'll be making as many home games as possible going forward. 

-selection show is this afternoon so we'll know soon, I guess it is possible but I would think the Ladies needed a big time scalp or two from their non-con schedule to get a home game

11 hours ago, hoppybeer said:

It’s possible based on facility but unfortunately they missed chances to beat OSU, Norte Dame and Louisville on the road. If they would have those wins I think we would have seen them in the top 25. 

SLU lost early in the season at Notre Dame 1-0. This is a decent, solid, good, rebuilding, but in no way elite ND team. Very winnable game. A win there would likely send them at South Carolina who was elite this year, one of the best defenses in the country. They are not a high powered offense but few were better defensively this year than South Carolina. 

IMG_20191111_155051.jpg

Pistol likes this

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Anyone wants to trash the A10 let’s talk about the inexplicable decision to start the George Mason game in a monsoon and then call the game in the 70th minute 0-0 immediately after a prime scoring opportunity for the Billikens. Ladies dropped 13 RPI points in the aftermath.

And that is a legit gripe. However, SLU had zero quality non-conference results. None. Unlike the men, the women play more league games with less opportunity to play as many good non-conference games. And therefore cannot schedule a few later in the season which is also needed. Xavier won Big East regular season and conference tourney and gets a road game first round.  In order to turn the corner as a program winning higher profile games on the road is what SLU will need to do. Great opportunity in South Bend this weekend.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

We lost in the opening game of this season up at South Bend, 1-0 on a penalty kick in the 76th. 

SLU didn't play particularly well that game. Different SLU team now, as well as for ND. SLU playing with much more confidence, much more defined roles. ND is a middle of the pack team in one of America's best leagues. Some strong non-conference wins vs non elite power 5 teams non-conference, while defeating teams expected to beat in ACC. Draws v Louisville and Duke who are both good. Lopsided losses to UNC and UVA who are among the best of the best. Close 2-1 loss to South Carolina non-conference as well 

This is a game made for SLU, on the road v high profile team in high profile league winnable. It is expected to be a sunny balmy 33 degrees for playoff soccer Sunday in South Bend.

SLU played 3 NCAA teams non-conference, all on the road, and lost all 3. Oklahoma St., Louisville, Notre Dame.

Some NCAA teams and leagues of note:

9 ACC teams

9 Pac 12 teams

6 Big 12 teams

5 SEC teams

5 Big 10 teams

3 West Coast Conference

2 Big East

3 teams from Nashville. 

NCAA Reasonable Geographic proximity teams: Loyola Chicago, Kansas, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Memphis, Arkansas, Vandy, Lipscomb, Belmont, Iowa,  Xavier, Bowling Green, Michigan, Wisconsin.

On 11/11/2019 at 5:58 PM, courtside said:

SLU's game at Notre Dame will be played this Sunday November 17th, 1pm Eastern, Noon Central. Broadcast viewing released later in week.

-I went to the NCAA bracket and no broadcast info on the SLU game, is it possible there will be nothing? hoping to watch this Billiken victory before heading to Chaifetz for the second Billiken victory on Sunday

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-I went to the NCAA bracket and no broadcast info on the SLU game, is it possible there will be nothing? hoping to watch this Billiken victory before heading to Chaifetz for the second Billiken victory on Sunday

As mentioned, ESPN App. Many ACC men’s and women’s games are available on the ESPN app. (Today’s Clemson v Vandy etc...others) Some will be on ACC Network but not this one. The same goes for SEC games as well. 

On 11/15/2019 at 10:28 AM, billikenfan05 said:

ACCNX via ESPN app.

Anyone able to get this to work? Getting a error message saying ACCNX via ESPN app is not available (even though the game is showing up as one that you can press "play" to watch).  I hate the watchespn interface. 

5 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Anyone able to get this to work? Getting a error message saying ACCNX via ESPN app is not available (even though the game is showing up as one that you can press "play" to watch).  I hate the watchespn interface. 

Don't think you can watch with plus. Think you need the acc network subscription. Definitely annoying